• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Value of cgc restored

27 posts in this topic

15 minutes ago, Bolton said:

i will be much more hesitant to post in the future- despite this being the newbie area...

Can't say I blame you...use ebay's sold function and sign up for free at Heritage Auctions so you can use their past sales history records.  I've never had a GPA account and while it seems to be useful for remaining on the cutting edge of pricing I feel I haven't left too much money on the table using these free tools.

Edited by Mystafo

5 hours ago, Bolton said:

Thank you for your reply’s, some rather belligerent. I have purchased access to previous values etc with an account for a while. The data for restored issues remains limited. As a result I have asked for help here. I know issues with variable levels of repair etc. From the picture I’ve put of mine as the front cover is nice albeit somewhat folded with little visual obviousness to restoration etc whether that would make its value different from another 4 restored with same c-1 tear etc with a less presentable face... 

i will be much more hesitant to post in the future- despite this being the newbie area...

I don't think it's fair of you to call us belligerent. I don't believe in giving an answer unless I know the answer. You have given us nothing to work with here. You have the book in hand, how can we tell from that terrible blurry picture you supplied about the severity of the resto ? It would help if you had the notes but it's obvious you don't want to pay for the notes.  CGC does not quantify the amount of resto on the label. Color Touch could mean one spot or many hits all over the book. It could be all along the spine. Note the label says tear seals, as in plural. You keep referencing the tear seal, as if there is only one when it's actually more than one. For all we know everyone of those corner creases has been sealed. Without knowing the details, how can we give you an answer. You want a guess? Here's a guess, your book is worth three fifty. 

Here’s some more constructive advice.  Collect data for sold copies across all grades from all major websites and gpa for both universal and restored grades. 

Do some analysis on the types of restoration and the pricing relative to blue labels pricing and see if you can glean any patterns.  The. See if you can apply that analysis loosely to your situation to get a range. Probably better to get Gpa for this, but not necessary, you can usually create free accounts on major auction sites to look at past sales. With the movie last year there should be a lot of data points. Do your best to read labels and notes when available to see what matches yours the most.

Good luck.  

Honestly, this seems like a lot of work and time though.  And time is money.  I’d just auction it off and be done with it. 

Hi Bolton! Here's my advice, for whatever it's worth: Sell the book at a reasonable price. Expect to realize about 50% of what an unrestored copy would go for in the same grade. Keep in mind, this is a low grade, restored copy with diminished eye appeal (lots of creasing that breaks color). Hopefully you'll get back what you paid for it. Good luck and have fun...

On 4/2/2018 at 2:14 PM, Bolton said:

Thank you for your reply’s, some rather belligerent. I have purchased access to previous values etc with an account for a while. The data for restored issues remains limited. As a result I have asked for help here. I know issues with variable levels of repair etc. From the picture I’ve put of mine as the front cover is nice albeit somewhat folded with little visual obviousness to restoration etc whether that would make its value different from another 4 restored with same c-1 tear etc with a less presentable face... 

Don't take it personal. There are a lot of first time posters that come and go asking for advice on how to exploit the hobby financially, without showing enough interest to invest the time themselves. Those types aren't received well because their motives are greed, and are perceived as unhealthy for the hobby. Folks can be a little trigger happy to lump newcomers into that category...sometimes rightfully so, unfortunately sometimes prematurely though.

Pull up a chair, grab a drink, and join the community! Wealth of knowledge here that people are willing to share if you stick around...

To provide you a direct answer, the last CGC JLA #1 4.0 C1 sold about a year ago for $725. With two prior selling in 2014 for $525 & $777. Values for this book have generally dropped slightly since 2017, so my SWAG is $600-$700.

If you only had tear seals and they were small, they could easily be opened and be given a blue label. It may even hold the same grade or possibly just drop a point. C1 means there shouldn't be much resto at all. The glue on the other hand may be very minor or something where you lose a chunk of spine in the process. That can drop your grade dramatically. The only way to know would be to open it up and look.

On ‎5‎/‎4‎/‎2018 at 1:58 PM, Callaway29 said:

Don't take it personal. There are a lot of first time posters that come and go asking for advice on how to exploit the hobby financially, without showing enough interest to invest the time themselves. Those types aren't received well because their motives are greed, and are perceived as unhealthy for the hobby. Folks can be a little trigger happy to lump newcomers into that category...sometimes rightfully so, unfortunately sometimes prematurely though.

Pull up a chair, grab a drink, and join the community! Wealth of knowledge here that people are willing to share if you stick around...

To provide you a direct answer, the last CGC JLA #1 4.0 C1 sold about a year ago for $725. With two prior selling in 2014 for $525 & $777. Values for this book have generally dropped slightly since 2017, so my SWAG is $600-$700.

Top notch advice!