• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

The Official "ROM SPACE KNIGHT" movie thread.

9 posts in this topic

I really, really hope this comes true! :wishluck:

Ready Player One' Writer Adapting ROM: Spaceknight for Paramount.

http://comicbook.com/movies/2018/03/26/rom-spaceknight-movie-paramount-zak-penn/

Steven Spielberg's Ready Player One adaptation is about to hit theaters, but already the film's writer, Zak Penn, has been tapped to take on another high-profile geek project: adapting the comic book character of ROM: Spacenight into a blockbuster movie for Paramount Pictures.

Deadline reports Hasbro's Allspark Pictures is working with Paramount on the ROM movie. The character started as a Parker Brother toy before becoming a Marvel comic book, which was later rebooted under the IDW banner. ROM's comics chronicle the tale of a cyborg called ROM (read-only memory) from the planet Galador, who is tasked with saving his world from the invasion of the Dire Wraith race. After saving Galador, ROM continues his battles against the Dire Wraiths on Earth and on other planets.

ROM SpaceKnight Movie Paramount

Edited by ComicConnoisseur

Interesting...James Gunn told Screen Rant awhile back the following:

“ROM, the story, is owned by Marvel Comics. So the Dire Wraiths, you know, all that story is owned by Marvel Comics. The character and the toys are owned by Paramount, so you can’t have both. Now you can’t have the Spaceknight, at Marvel, and you can’t have the Spaceknights without the story. What always interested me was more the story of the Spaceknights. People who gave up their humanity to save their planet was always very interesting to me, so there may be something to do with that, but it won’t be with ROM.”

Interesting tidbit about who owns the rights to Dire Wraiths.

James Gunn Explains the ROM: Spaceknight ‘Problem.

https://www.cbr.com/james-gunn-rom-spaceknight/

Although IDW Publishing launched a ROM comic book revival, many of the story elements and characters that made the original series a favorite with fans — including Gunn — remain with Marvel. Asked whether he has any interest in an adaptation, the filmmaker cited the entanglement.

I don’t, because this is the problem,” he told Screen Rant. “ROM, the story, is owned by Marvel Comics. So the Dire Wraiths, you know, all that story is owned by Marvel Comics. The character and the toys are owned by Paramount, so you can’t have both. Now you can’t have the Spaceknight, at Marvel, and you can’t have the Spaceknights without the story. What always interested me was more the story of the Spaceknights. People who gave up their humanity to save their planet was always very interesting to me, so there may be something to do with that, but it won’t be with ROM.”