• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

"Sparkle-y" Saturated Scans
1 1

68 posts in this topic

Was glad to see Sparkle City back selling GA books on eBay, they always have nice stuff...

But man, they have really turned up the color/saturation on their scans (or every book just has a dripping wet color strike) and as a result I have NO idea what the actual book will look like (in terms of its color) so I'm not bidding on just about any of their books.

Why do sellers shoot themselves I the foot like this?

3 hours ago, october said:

Their scans are amped to the point of ridiculousness.

This I did not know and as for this I will not bid. On anything.

Edited by Gotham Kid

Sellers with a long, complex, and interesting history.  I used to buy from them pretty frequently, but I don't think I've won anything in their auctions in a couple of years.

On 3/26/2018 at 10:13 PM, Gotham Kid said:

This I did not know and as for this I will not bid. On anything.

Our scans are not intentionally "amped up"  These are CGC graded books and for some reason we had issues with our current scanner and hard plastic encapsulation. 

This seems to only happen on CGC books.. If we were manipulating scans to make books look better (which we are not), why would we only do it on the books that have 3rd party grades already established...  They are 3rd party graded so that should help reassure buyers as to what they are getting....

Perhaps one day someone will reach out to us directly with this feedback rather than launch public accusations on a message board. 

Edited by BrianHoward

I have gotten a few items from them in the past and their images were not over saturated as they appear now. I was bidding on the Mystery Men in last weeks auction knowing full well that the cover would not look that bright in hand but it certainly grabs your attention.

Color and page quality are very important to me. More so than technical grade in most cases. I know that CGC does not down grade for "production" problems like weak color (very prevelant on Fiction House books for instance). I personally think they should. So I don't always buy their grades on books like this. Therefore scans and photos are very important. 

I work for a company that makes scanners so I know how much scans can vary. I also know that scans can be maniuplated for optimum accurate color. If I scan something and it isn't right, I adjust it so it appears more accurate. Takes a little extra time but worth it on a key or high dollar book.

7 hours ago, BrianHoward said:

Our scans are not intentionally "amped up"  These are CGC graded books and for some reason we had issues with our current scanner and hard plastic encapsulation. 

This seems to only happen on CGC books.. If we were manipulating scans to make books look better (which we are not), why would we only do it on the books that have 3rd party grades already established...  They are 3rd party graded so that should help reassure buyers as to what they are getting....

Perhaps one day someone will reach out to us directly with this feedback rather than launch public accusations on a message board. 

No one accused you of doing it on purpose, so the only "accusation" was that your scans are amped...which isn't an accusation at at, simply a fact. 

Why does someone have to email you to tell you that your scans should reflect reality? That's pretty basic selling. (shrug)

I see his point. Threads like this are very bad for business. A bit of a witch hunt. Buy from him or not, up to you. I would always check out his return policy carefully though. If I got a book that didn't match the scan and was un-happy with it color wise because of a sloppy or "juiced" scan, I would expect a prompt and courteous refund. I don't always buy the "no returns on graded books" policy in cases such as this. If that is their policy, I just would pass. 

2 minutes ago, Robot Man said:

I see his point. Threads like this are very bad for business. A bit of a witch hunt. Buy from him or not, up to you. I would always check out his return policy carefully though. If I got a book that didn't match the scan and was un-happy with it color wise because of a sloppy or "juiced" scan, I would expect a prompt and courteous refund. I don't always buy the "no returns on graded books" policy in cases such as this. If that is their policy, I just would pass. 

I don't think sellers on eBay with a no return policy can make it stick because eBay's policy of allowing returns overrides any individual seller's policy.

2 minutes ago, Sqeggs said:

I don't think sellers on eBay with a no return policy can make it stick because eBay's policy of allowing returns overrides any individual seller's policy.

As a seller you always lose. I rarely sell there and have had maybe 2 or 3 returns in 20 years. But, recently, I got a return because of "an un-noted 1/4" back cover tear". It was very clearly shown in the photo. This guy just kept out bidding everybody all week until he got it. Classic case of "buyers remourse". He filed on me and I just took the return without a fight. I knew I would lose and just didn't want the hassle. I refused to pay his return postage though. 

1 hour ago, Robot Man said:

I disagree -- what's bad for business was his "let me come out swinging at the potential customer base" post. A more enlightened approach would have been for him to take an apologetic/neutral tone, mention the scanner issues (nothing wrong there, no one is perfect) and that they would be working to improve it, maybe a "hey thanks for the feedback." As it stands, my Francis reply is quite fitting.

1 hour ago, october said:

No one accused you of doing it on purpose, so the only "accusation" was that your scans are amped...which isn't an accusation at at, simply a fact. 

Why does someone have to email you to tell you that your scans should reflect reality? That's pretty basic selling. (shrug)

In general, it is better for a business to see this as free "Marketing Research" so one can tweak the scanner, or post a note to prospective customers etc.,.  If someone is thinking it here, there are probably many others silently thinking the same thing not posting anywhere.  In other words, properly handled this could be a cup half-full opportunity to make new loyal customers and solve issues, imho.

22 minutes ago, originalisbest said:

I disagree -- what's bad for business was his "let me come out swinging at the potential customer base" post. A more enlightened approach would have been for him to take an apologetic/neutral tone, mention the scanner issues (nothing wrong there, no one is perfect) and that they would be working to improve it, maybe a "hey thanks for the feedback." As it stands, my Francis reply is quite fitting.

What orgiinalisbest said.

35 minutes ago, originalisbest said:

I'm sorry you feel this way, but having witnessed sellers getting dragged through the mud here over and over (and having been victim to this myself many times) I'm admittedly not so neutral on such public and damaging discussions. 

I ABSOLUTELY want customer feedback and want to provide the most accurate and comforting scans possible, but a public forum is not the way or place to do that... Direct communication is more efficient and appropriate. I never would have even seen this if 2 different people didn't send me the link because "the boards are smearing you".......

Sorry if my tone or approach rubbed you the wrong way, but it was not directed towards you in any way. I hope this explanation provides a bit of context.