• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

"Sparkle-y" Saturated Scans
1 1

68 posts in this topic

5 hours ago, BrianHoward said:

perhaps we can stop beating this issue

lol This is the internet. We beat issues on the internet. That's what we do. Heck, this could be a Geico commercial

18 hours ago, gino2paulus2 said:

I have done business with Sparkle in the past (buying) and all experiences have been wonderful. It’s been a few years as they kind haven’t had as much GA lately. Like I stated though have never had an issue. I messaged them as I saw a book Speed 28 that I could possibly upgrade my copy and I know a few people who would be interested in my current copy so it seemed like a no brainer. I did email them before I saw this thread and they promptly responded with cell phone pics and an explanation. I will still be bidding it hasn’t deterred me (so get out of my way haha!!) but you can see a huge difference in what they still have pictured in the auction and the cell phone pic. I was blown away by the dripping colors at first glance but now see it looks a bit more like my current copy so will bid accordingly.

40393873194_d30f4c2fa1_b.jpg40393873124_56c72738ac_b.jpg

Neatstuff was one of the first sellers I ever dealt with on eBay, I bought from them numerous times. I stopped when someone named Greg was calling me at home to ask about my collection...weird questions. I know there were some issues with him later. 

I look at the Sparkle City listings all the time, because I remember my dealings with Neatstuff and frankly I wanted to bid, but a 3 year old could tell those pictures were not the same. I just can't accept these statements as a rational explanation and sure they want you to contact them privately, but I'm very glad this was brought up here, because I had no idea without seeing the two books together. 

Thank you, Gino for sharing those.

On 3/29/2018 at 3:22 PM, BrianHoward said:

Thank you for your post, I believe my previous response, the one directly preceding your post, covers this. To reiterate, We didn't "fix" the scans because they appeared to be fine when we reviewed them before posting. We did check and they looked good before being posted. Not sure what happened, but thankfully someone took me up on my request to continue this discussion directly and reached out to me.. With his help we have already implemented changes that should hopefully fix this. 

Looking forward to seeing the next batch of scans, glad my thread helped you out!

On 3/30/2018 at 3:15 PM, skypinkblu said:

Neatstuff was one of the first sellers I ever dealt with on eBay, I bought from them numerous times. I stopped when someone named Greg was calling me at home to ask about my collection...weird questions. I know there were some issues with him later. 

Do you mean Greg Jortner? What kinds of questions was he asking? I'm just curious. Can I assume they went beyond, "Have you thought about consigning any books?"?

On 3/30/2018 at 12:15 PM, skypinkblu said:

I look at the Sparkle City listings all the time, because I remember my dealings with Neatstuff and frankly I wanted to bid, but a 3 year old could tell those pictures were not the same. I just can't accept these statements as a rational explanation and sure they want you to contact them privately, but I'm very glad this was brought up here, because I had no idea without seeing the two books together. 

Thank you, Gino for sharing those.

If I bid on the above copy and got the one below, it would for sure be returned for a fast refund...

I think Mike Carbo at one time was associated with Neatstuff. Calling you at home to "look at" your collection was something he would do for sure. I like Mike but no way is he ever coming over to see my collection.

Greg  & Mike Carbonaro were at times Independent Contracted buyers. They did not work exclusively with us, many dealers and others have utilized their services. 

I would never ask a buyer to cold call someone like was described.  I’m not saying it didn’t happen, just that if it did it would not have been with my knowledge, instruction or approval. This was no way related to any purchases from us and Independent contractors do not have access to our customer records. 

Greg was doing deals with board member dealers and collectors before we knew who he was. Sorry if anyone got the wrong impression, but any cold calls like that would not have been directed by me. 

Neither of them are affiliated in any way with Neat Stuff or Sparkle City. That has been the case for years. 

Edited by BrianHoward

7 hours ago, jimbo_7071 said:

Do you mean Greg Jortner? What kinds of questions was he asking? I'm just curious. Can I assume they went beyond, "Have you thought about consigning any books?"?

Yes, that was his name. I'd rather not post what he said, it was a long time ago, I may not remember it all, but he got my name and address by buying something on eBay and he never mentioned "consigning". Meanwhile I had been high bidder on the Okajima that is on eBay but after the scan differences, I stopped bidding. 

13 minutes ago, BrianHoward said:

Greg  & Mike Carbonaro were at times Independent Contracted buyers. They did not work exclusively with us, many dealers and others have utilized their services. 

I would never ask a buyer to cold call someone like was described.  I’m not saying it didn’t happen, just that if it did it would not have been with my knowledge, instruction or approval. This was no way related to any purchases from us and Independent contractors do not have access to our customer records. 

Greg was doing deals with board member dealers and collectors before we knew who he was. Sorry if anyone got the wrong impression, but any cold calls like that would not have been directed by me. 

Neither of them are affiliated in any way with Neat Stuff or Sparkle City. That has been the case for years. 

He never mentioned you at all.  .It was only later that I found about about the association with Sparkle City> I don't even think that business was operating yet.

Edited by skypinkblu
Took out a few sentences and just pmed it instead

11 minutes ago, skypinkblu said:

Yes, that was his name. I'd rather not post what he said, it was a long time ago, I may not remember it all, but he got my name and address by buying something on eBay and he never mentioned "consigning". Meanwhile I had been high bidder on the Okajima that is on eBay but after the scan differences, I stopped bidding. 

If our super lenient return policy doesn’t assure you please feel free to reach out and ask for pics. Others have and we have no problem accommodating. 

We have since changed our scanning software to vuescan as per the recommendations we got from here. 

Thanks for the clarification on that call. I don’t want people thinking that is how we operate. It’s not. 

4 minutes ago, BrianHoward said:

If our super lenient return policy doesn’t assure you please feel free to reach out and ask for pics. Others have and we have no problem accommodating. 

We have since changed our scanning software to vuescan as per the recommendations we got from here. 

Thanks for the clarification on that call. I don’t want people thinking that is how we operate. It’s not. 

If he had mentioned your name I might not have thought it was just a random weird call from some creepy person. I had purchased from you.

Kinda wondering about a scan in a current Sparkle auction. Battle Cry 11. Are the little horizontal 'spines' along the slab edge a flaw (chipping or something) or an effect of the scan? Don't know the old slabs too well. Have to zoom in really see them. Say top right front near the E in Battle. https://www.ebay.com/itm/Battle-Cry-11-CGC-7-5-HIGH-GRADE-Stanmor-Pub-Comic-OLD-LABEL-Gold-10c-VINTAGE/202271559698

Edited by Silver Ager

1 hour ago, skypinkblu said:

I've wondered how he goes about locating collections to consign. Maybe one of his techniques is to buy an item from someone on eBay in order to acquire that person's phone number for cold-calling purposes.

4 hours ago, sagii said:

:golfclap:Phenomenal finish on the Speed Comics #28! Congrats to seller AND buyer as that is a major coup! Impossible book!

Agreed!! It more than doubled what a very similar 3.0 sold for about 3 years ago which speaks volumes about today’s market!!

Tough + Classic = :flipbait:

On ‎3‎/‎29‎/‎2018 at 7:28 PM, gino2paulus2 said:

I have done business with Sparkle in the past (buying) and all experiences have been wonderful. It’s been a few years as they kind haven’t had as much GA lately. Like I stated though have never had an issue. I messaged them as I saw a book Speed 28 that I could possibly upgrade my copy and I know a few people who would be interested in my current copy so it seemed like a no brainer. I did email them before I saw this thread and they promptly responded with cell phone pics and an explanation. I will still be bidding it hasn’t deterred me (so get out of my way haha!!) but you can see a huge difference in what they still have pictured in the auction and the cell phone pic. I was blown away by the dripping colors at first glance but now see it looks a bit more like my current copy so will bid accordingly.

40393873194_d30f4c2fa1_b.jpg40393873124_56c72738ac_b.jpg

So cool.  I want but CGC got the grade wrong.  It's a nein.

Edited by rat chew

7 hours ago, Ricksneatstuff said:

IMG_0768.PNG

IMG_0952.JPG

Those seem pretty close to me.  I don't think I would be disappointed if I bid on the basis of the scan and received that book as it looks in the picture.