• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Midtown Comics Times Square...
2 2

21 posts in this topic

7 hours ago, jools&jim said:

Have a short trip to NYC coming up, and hopefully will have a few hours to shop.  Does Midtown's Times Square location have a decent supply of SA/BA stuff?

Not really

You will pay tourist prices - something has to pay for the Times Square rent. 

I will say what I have always said to people coming to NYC... there is nothing in most of these comic stores that you cannot find easier and cheaper on eBay, most major comic auctions and on the boards.  Many of other ways to utilize that time better. 

Yeah...first time I went there a few years ago it was nothing to brag about.  Hardly any back issues and as Buzzetta said, inflated prices.  I was there again this past January just because I was walking past it headed somewhere else...and it was still lackluster.  Enjoy Times Square though, if that's your thing.

It's a cool place in terms of sheer size and volume of material. Mostly moderns, TPBs, toys and "stuff." But you won't find much in terms of GA/SA or BA.

I would visit once or twice a month when I worked on 46th and 6th 15 years ago. Cool way to spend a lunch hour. I saw Mark Hamill there once.

Edited by Mr. Zipper
typo

7 hours ago, Buzzetta said:

Not really

You will pay tourist prices - something has to pay for the Times Square rent. 

I will say what I have always said to people coming to NYC... there is nothing in most of these comic stores that you cannot find easier and cheaper on eBay, most major comic auctions and on the boards.  Many of other ways to utilize that time better. 

If you don't happen to land there during their 40% off sale, the answer is not really. they have stuff, not much in the way of deals. The make a mistake pricing once in a while like everyone else. The Mysterious Time Machine (formerly Rogers Time Machine) probably has a better selection at more realistic (for a B&M) prices. Jim Hanley also has a BA/SA selection, but the prices are high too. I went through about 15 long boxes and found 3 books I liked the price on.

funny I'm leaving for NYC on the Red Eye tonight. I've done the whole NYC comic shop experience last trip about a year and a half ago. Midtown had a low grade Avengers #1 behind the counter for about current GPA + $70,000. St. Marks Comics is a rip off and they deserve to be out of business if they aren't already. Owner took WAY advantage of me when I was just getting back into it. Had lots of cash and wet behind the ears and he saw a mark and took it. Well, I'm a little wiser, still got cash but won't spend it with him. Just seems dumb to do that to rip someone off. There was some place that you went down a couple of steps and it was a small room with some back issues. Owner was drunk as . That place might be ok. 

Done comic shops in NYC already. No need to ever again in this lifetime. . I'll just follow the wife around and eat at fancy restaurants and see her up town friends. Sometimes it's easier just being led around.

Edited by NoMan

3 hours ago, the blob said:

If you don't happen to land there during their 40% off sale, the answer is not really. they have stuff, not much in the way of deals. The make a mistake pricing once in a while like everyone else. The Mysterious Time Machine (formerly Rogers Time Machine) probably has a better selection at more realistic (for a B&M) prices. Jim Hanley also has a BA/SA selection, but the prices are high too. I went through about 15 long boxes and found 3 books I liked the price on.

Rogers Time Machine was pretty much the last Old School Comic Shop I can remember in NYC - meaning a place with bins and bins of back silver & bronze.

Bought many a bargain there in the 90's and early 00's

Roger was always a stand up guy who would let you hang around the shop, talk comics and haggle with you

"There was some place that you went down a couple of steps and it was a small room with some back issues. Owner was drunk as . That place might be ok." 

Probably Roger. Last time I was there he was doing shots with customers. I was offered, but declined, as I was driving. His old shop was huge and on the second floor, but they jacked his rent up up and away.

8 minutes ago, the blob said:

"There was some place that you went down a couple of steps and it was a small room with some back issues. Owner was drunk as . That place might be ok." 

Probably Roger. Last time I was there he was doing shots with customers. I was offered, but declined, as I was driving. His old shop was huge and on the second floor, but they jacked his rent up up and away.

He was a very, very cool person. He just happen to be really drunk the time I visited. Is he someplace new or can you give me the address of wherever he is now (forgot the street he was on that I stumbled into)

52 minutes ago, NoMan said:

He was a very, very cool person. He just happen to be really drunk the time I visited. Is he someplace new or can you give me the address of wherever he is now (forgot the street he was on that I stumbled into)

Last I looked Mysterious Time Machine is at 418 6th Ave & W 9th St, New York, NY 10011. https://www.yelp.com/biz/mysterious-time-machine-new-york-2

I don't think he has moved again. He was at the 14th street location a LONG time and now at this smaller spot.. Manhattan rents are just impossible.

39 minutes ago, the blob said:

Last I looked Mysterious Time Machine is at 418 6th Ave & W 9th St, New York, NY 10011. https://www.yelp.com/biz/mysterious-time-machine-new-york-2

I don't think he has moved again. He was at the 14th street location a LONG time and now at this smaller spot.. Manhattan rents are just impossible.

if it works out I'll give 'em some business. 

3 minutes ago, NoMan said:

if it works out I'll give 'em some business. 

Mind you, he now takes credit cards, but last time I was there the CC machine was not working, so I had to waddle to the bank a few blocks away.

the smaller space is actually busier than the old bigger one. i was there on a tuesday afternoon and the place was humming.  i rummaged for an hour and he did like $300-$400 in back issue sales (other than me). go figure.

Edited by the blob

I just bought a bunch of readers from Rodger at mysterious time machine. He’s a super cool guy. None of the HG xmen books I’m looking for, tho. “They go out the second they come in.  Got a waiting list.” He was nice enough to call around other stores looking for me, tho. 

“Mitch has got some xmen books you’re looking for over at St Marks Comics. You wanna go over there?” 

No.  

Edited by NoMan

22 hours ago, NoMan said:

I just bought a bunch of readers from Rodger at mysterious time machine. He’s a super cool guy. None of the HG xmen books I’m looking for, tho. “They go out the second they come in.  Got a waiting list.” He was nice enough to call around other stores looking for me, tho. 

“Mitch has got some xmen books you’re looking for over at St Marks Comics. You wanna go over there?” 

No.  

It was nice to hear he's still open and to read all those nice reviews on Yelp. They mirror my experience when I lived in NYC. I swung a lot of deals with Roger back in the day, including lots of books he sold on consignment for me. He always cared about and engaged - in a playful, not a pushy way - every customer who walked in that door. There was a time that I couldn't get over there for many months, probably close to a year and he still had my box of stuff and listed what had sold and was mainly glad that nothing bad had happened to me. I too had the pleasure of having an afternoon beer there and getting in that geeky "who was on what team when" banter that was ever present. That kind of genuineness, I suspect, is the reason he has made it and kept it old school in a brutally expensive environment that has eaten up virtually all of the old bricks and mortar comic and used book shops that used to be all over the Village.

22 hours ago, Surfing Alien said:

It was nice to hear he's still open and to read all those nice reviews on Yelp. They mirror my experience when I lived in NYC. I swung a lot of deals with Roger back in the day, including lots of books he sold on consignment for me. He always cared about and engaged - in a playful, not a pushy way - every customer who walked in that door. There was a time that I couldn't get over there for many months, probably close to a year and he still had my box of stuff and listed what had sold and was mainly glad that nothing bad had happened to me. I too had the pleasure of having an afternoon beer there and getting in that geeky "who was on what team when" banter that was ever present. That kind of genuineness, I suspect, is the reason he has made it and kept it old school in a brutally expensive environment that has eaten up virtually all of the old bricks and mortar comic and used book shops that used to be all over the Village.

I think he also has an incredibly cheap rent stabilized apartment in the area, which offsets the brutal commercial rent he is probably paying.

I only head down to Midtown Comics on NCB for stuff that my closest local doesn't get in or for exta copies whenever things are being limited to one per customer. And even then its rare. It's a cool shop, the wall of new stuff every Wednesday is fun to browse, but you aren't going to find silver and bronze at their physical locations.

21 hours ago, speedcake said:

I only head down to Midtown Comics on NCB for stuff that my closest local doesn't get in or for exta copies whenever things are being limited to one per customer. And even then its rare. It's a cool shop, the wall of new stuff every Wednesday is fun to browse, but you aren't going to find silver and bronze at their physical locations.

They have tons of silver and bronze. It is just expensive.