• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Help with tape & CGC grade question

4 posts in this topic

I have what looks like on the surface to be a silver age key 7.0 range book I am getting ready to submit for grading.  Problem is on the front cover is a 3/4 inch tear near the corner edge and it has a teeny tiny micro piece of tape on interior to prevent the tear from going further.  Question, should I try to remove the tape before getting it graded, or since it is so small and is there for a reason, just leave it and hope for the best on the grading?  Really interested in seeing how CGC will grade this given that one minor defect given how nice the rest of the book looks.   Thanks!

6 hours ago, Gnasher said:

Sounds like it won't affect the grade, but tape will be noted on the label and we are talking a 1 millimeter micro piece of tape, so perhaps its best to try and remove it to make the label more neat and clean/book more desirable, so it has no label note about tape.  Worth the effort/risk?

Worth the effort as long as you can remove the tape successfully without further damaging the book. I suggest sending it to a restoration expert. CCS - the in-house restoration and pressing service of CGC - would tell you if it can be safely removed. When done it's transferred to CGC for grading.