• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Fake Bruce Timm art

24 posts in this topic

Damn, they ended this morning at $385. Some poor buyer will get an expensive lesson in art collecting and buying fakes. :( 

https://www.ebay.com/itm/142733231982?ul_noapp=true 

Ever since eBay changed the rules so you couldn't see eBay IDs or contact other bidders, this kind of stuff has gotten pretty common. The new rules seem to only prevent these fraudulent sellers more than any eBay customers. We would at least police the hobby ourselves, but eBay just wants those seller fees. They are killing the secondary sketch market.

17 hours ago, Madman1138 said:

My sketches shown above are from San Diego 2015 and 2016. He did no sketches beyond the type I got and definitely didn't use any red pencil on ANY of them. I flipped through the binder to choose mine each day he had them, and the Harley was one of the few requests he took on his list on one of the days. This seller is definitely lying, which seems to confirm what we already thought. The eBay sketches are bogus.

That stinks. They hammered at $385,,,could've been worse. I've seen so many fakes on ebay over the years. Buyers get burned because of 1) lack of knowledge 2) Unchecked thieves as ebay looks the other way. Buyer beware. Buy directly from an experienced dealer, the artist or his/her Rep.Or get references for some of the good people here on the Thread. On the Comic marketplace there lots of quality legit opportunities.

I went through hell a couple of years ago trying to get ebay to warn bidders about fake Calvin and Hobbes art. The seller coincidentally lived in a city close to where I live and I arranged a "meet up" at the Mall to see them in person. Once I saw them up close I was 100% sure they were fake. They used at least 3 separate ebay ID's trying to sell a variety of OA. Below is a pic of art and my CAF Warning.

SCAM EBAY SCAM Calvin and Hobbes Bill Watterson Comic Art

You are witnessing the workings of evil doers on ebay:-( The photo above is of a FAKE,

This "original" CH with "LOA" currently on ebay seller snugglebug2009 is a COMPLETE FRAUD!!!!
Upon spotting this great "find" I took note of the LOA on Andrews McMeal letterhead authenticated and supposedly signed by Kirsty. I reached out to her via phone and made her aware of the auction.She immediately and without hesitation called it a fraud and sincerly told me not to waste my money:-)

Kirsty is working on getting this taken down.I am reporting this to you all because I love Bill Watterson for the gift he gave us in Calvin and Hobbes.I also care about all my CAF friends and want to do whatever I can to protect the legitimacy of our hobby.

My thanks to Kirsty Melville, President and Publisher, Andrews McMeal Universal.
My sincere love and gratitude to Bill Watterson for ten years and beyond of joy and critical thought.
My thanks to Doug Gillock ComicLink for his expert advice and offers of assistance
These folks are the SUPERHERO

SCAM EBAY SCAM Calvin and Hobbes Bill Watterson Comic Art