• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

TWD #1 Museum Edition LE100, Ohio 2004
1 1

156 posts in this topic

2 hours ago, EvilAsh said:

I believe this book is fake, and Shawn Kirkham (BigClutch) from Skybound even confirmed it as a fake.   

Check out the official Walking Dead discussion thread 

I think you mean unauthorized. It's definitely a real comic book.

8 hours ago, ygogolak said:

I think you mean unauthorized. It's definitely a real comic book.

Isn't that a fancier way of saying it's fake? :gossip:

I feel sorry for the buyer.  When the people behind the company say its fake (Like Shawn Kirkham did as EvilAsh as stated above) then it's fake...no matter how you spin it.  2c

It's just an over glorified color photo copy...who in their right mind would buy that?  There's a Kinko's in most every major city that - combined with some photoshop skills - can produce the same product for less than $20.  Smh...

8 hours ago, Sensei Ryan said:

Isn't that a fancier way of saying it's fake? :gossip:

I feel sorry for the buyer.  When the people behind the company say its fake (Like Shawn Kirkham did as EvilAsh as stated above) then it's fake...no matter how you spin it.  2c

It's just an over glorified color photo copy...who in their right mind would buy that?  There's a Kinko's in most every major city that - combined with some photoshop skills - can produce the same product for less than $20.  Smh...

That's the same as saying why would anyone buy a Modern variant.

There are niche markets for everything. Go check the prices on TMNT & Cerebus #1 counterfeits.

1 hour ago, ygogolak said:

There are niche markets for everything. Go check the prices on TMNT & Cerebus #1 counterfeits.

You don't see a difference between a legitimate variant released by a publisher and a fake, homemade comic that someone is trying to pass off as being legitimate, that a grading company may or may not catch and alert a prospective buyer to if someone should attempt to slab it? (shrug)

-J.

18 minutes ago, Jaydogrules said:

You don't see a difference between a legitimate variant released by a publisher and a fake, homemade comic that someone is trying to pass off as being legitimate, that a grading company may or may not catch and alert a prospective buyer to if someone should attempt to slab it? (shrug)

-J.

You took my comment out of context. Not surprised.

29 minutes ago, ygogolak said:

You took my comment out of context. Not surprised.

2 hours ago, ygogolak said:

No, it's just that when I repeat back to you what you essentially said, minus the spin, within a very reasonable worst case scenario context, you realize how preposterous it sounds.  

You may want to stand down on this one.

-J.

2 hours ago, ygogolak said:

31 minutes ago, Jaydogrules said:

No, it's just that when I repeat back to you what you essentially said, minus the spin, within a very reasonable worst case scenario context, you realize how preposterous it sounds.  

-J.

Stand down....:roflmao:

44 minutes ago, Jaydogrules said:

-J.

Calm down BaltizarG. 

5 hours ago, ygogolak said:

A.  This isn't a modern variant.  It's a fake/counterfeit/copy.  It's not even a good fake/counterfeit/copy.  I have no idea what comparison you're trying to make with it being like a 'modern variant.'  That's like saying an elephant is like a mouse.  They're both animals and have more in common than an elephant and an insect but they're totally different creatures.  A fake book is not like a modern variant unless you mean they are both made of paper-like substances and contain ink throughout their pages.

B. This is true on the market thing.  Some people also like to literally set fire to their own money in their own backyard.  If someone knows this is a fake and is un-intelligent enough to throw money at it then, well, good for them I guess.  My bet is that the bidders on this auction are not that un-intelligent (trying to be a PC as I can on that comment).  But to each their own as they say.

1 hour ago, Sensei Ryan said:

A.  This isn't a modern variant.  It's a fake/counterfeit/copy.  It's not even a good fake/counterfeit/copy.  I have no idea what comparison you're trying to make with it being like a 'modern variant.'  That's like saying an elephant is like a mouse.  They're both animals and have more in common than an elephant and an insect but they're totally different creatures.  A fake book is not like a modern variant unless you mean they are both made of paper-like substances and contain ink throughout their pages.

B. This is true on the market thing.  Some people also like to literally set fire to their own money in their own backyard.  If someone knows this is a fake and is un-intelligent enough to throw money at it then, well, good for them I guess.  My bet is that the bidders on this auction are not that un-intelligent (trying to be a PC as I can on that comment).  But to each their own as they say.

A. It wasn't a comparison of A & B. It was to the point that different people collect different things. Some people on here willing pay $1,000 for a Modern variant and some loathe the idea. How do you know the quality of it? Do you own one?

B. Again, look up slabs of counterfeits. They state right on the label their are counterfeit and people still pay 3-4 digits for them. It's not a matter of intelligence.

Edited by ygogolak

A. It wasn't a comparison of A & B. It was to the point that different people collect different things. Some people on here willing pay $1,000 for a Modern variant and some loathe the idea. How do you know the quality of it? Do you own one?

B. Again, look up slabs of counterfeits. They state right on the label their are counterfeit and people still pay 3-4 digits for them. It's not a matter of intelligence.

A. It was a comparison.  Using the example of modern variants to 'compare' to the fake book in said auction is a comparison.  And yes, different people do collect different things.  And yes, you are right on the $1,000 example you used.  As far to answer your question on the quality, I have eyes and can use them to look at the images provided in the auction.  That's how I can tell that it looks fake because it is fake.  I apologize if I offended you in case you own one or are attempting to win the book.  If so, good luck!

B. I think I knew once upon a time that there were slabs of some counterfeits.  For some reason I thought CGC wouldn't do that (or at least not anymore).  Considering this is a PGX slab should be enough to dissuade some buyers but maybe that's just me as PGX pretty much slabs anything and they are not the most ethical company (which is also a vast understatement).  I disagree on the matter of intelligence as I always try to purchase in an effort to one day be able to recoup my initial costs but I don't see how this is first off a legit auction nor do I see this actually being worth what it's going for (eBay has cancelled auctions on this particular book numerous times so maybe no one has just reported it yet).  In fairness, though, I spend way more than I should on some books so maybe my intelligence should be questioned, too.

Quit spreading false/misleading information and advocating the promulgation of fake comic books on unsuspecting collectors.  I suppose you're also okay with the counterfeit copies of the ASM 667 and 678 variants making the rounds on eBay too, especially since someone dropped $4k on one of the fake 667's and $1200 on a fake 678?  Or should I just call those "unautorized reproductions"?  

Come on man, you're better than that.

Furthermore, the only counterfeit book to ever "appear" to sell for four digits is one single copy of a counterfeit TMNT 1, and that was back in 2014 (it sold for $1000).  Unfortunately we have no way of determining if even that sale was real (though I doubt it was).  As for counterfeit Cerebus 1, well that has topped out at about $200. None of this is persuasive evidence of an overwhelming demand for fake copies of comic books.  And the biggest difference there is (as you said) CGC notes they are fake on the label.  

Of course a couple of big problems with that logic is A) PGX does not call these books fake on their label, and B) Like this fake walking dead comic, the fake ASM 667 and 678's the Cerebus and TMNT 1's were not created as goofs or novelty items, they were created to decieve people. That CGC has managed to catch some of them doesn't mean they have caught all of them, and as someone who owns many of these books that are being faked, I have a real problem with even the thought of that.  

-J.

Edited by Jaydogrules

38 minutes ago, Jaydogrules said:

Quit spreading false/misleading information and advocating the promulgation of fake comic books on unsuspecting collectors.  I suppose you're also okay with the counterfeit copies of the ASM 667 and 678 variants making the rounds on eBay too, especially since someone dropped $4k on one of the fake 667's and $1200 on a fake 678?  Or should I just call those "unautorized reproductions"?  

Come on man, you're better than that.

Furthermore, the only counterfeit book to ever "appear" to sell for four digits is one single copy of a counterfeit TMNT 1, and that was back in 2014 (it sold for $1000).  Unfortunately we have no way of determining if even that sale was real (though I doubt it was).  As for counterfeit Cerebus 1, well that has topped out at about $200. None of this is persuasive evidence of an overwhelming demand for fake copies of comic books.  And the biggest difference there is (as you said) CGC notes they are fake on the label.  

Of course a couple of big problems with that logic is A) PGX does not call these books fake on their label, and B) Like this fake walking dead comic, the fake ASM 667 and 678's the Cerebus and TMNT 1's were not created as goofs or novelty items, they were created to decieve people. That CGC has managed to catch some of them doesn't mean they have caught all of them, and as someone who owns many of these books that are being faked, I have a real problem with even the thought of that.  

-J.

Counterfeit copies are sold all the time on eBay. Probably my the most common is Cry for Dawn.

And what exactly am I "better than"? Educating someone on the fact that they should not be surprised that someone would buy one of these?

I know someone that bought a fake 668. Those were made as a recent reaction to the prices the book is getting.

57 minutes ago, Sensei Ryan said:

A. It was a comparison.  Using the example of modern variants to 'compare' to the fake book in said auction is a comparison.  And yes, different people do collect different things.  And yes, you are right on the $1,000 example you used.  As far to answer your question on the quality, I have eyes and can use them to look at the images provided in the auction.  That's how I can tell that it looks fake because it is fake.  I apologize if I offended you in case you own one or are attempting to win the book.  If so, good luck!

B. I think I knew once upon a time that there were slabs of some counterfeits.  For some reason I thought CGC wouldn't do that (or at least not anymore).  Considering this is a PGX slab should be enough to dissuade some buyers but maybe that's just me as PGX pretty much slabs anything and they are not the most ethical company (which is also a vast understatement).  I disagree on the matter of intelligence as I always try to purchase in an effort to one day be able to recoup my initial costs but I don't see how this is first off a legit auction nor do I see this actually being worth what it's going for (eBay has cancelled auctions on this particular book numerous times so maybe no one has just reported it yet).  In fairness, though, I spend way more than I should on some books so maybe my intelligence should be questioned, too.

Thank you for telling me the intent behind my words.

Edited by ygogolak

FYI CGC slabs

TMNT - 12 IDENTIFIED 

Cru for Dawn - 20 IDENTIFIED

Cerebus - 57 IDENTIFIED

These are fake copies that were created with the intent to sell for the value of the real.

If you think the above copy remotely resembles a fake copy of TWD 1, how can you even see the computer screen?

Edited by ygogolak