• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

TWD #1 Museum Edition LE100, Ohio 2004
1 1

156 posts in this topic

20 hours ago, Jaydogrules said:
On ‎3‎/‎28‎/‎2018 at 2:38 PM, ygogolak said:

A. It wasn't a comparison of A & B. It was to the point that different people collect different things. Some people on here willing pay $1,000 for a Modern variant and some loathe the idea. How do you know the quality of it? Do you own one?

B. Again, look up slabs of counterfeits. They state right on the label their are counterfeit and people still pay 3-4 digits for them. It's not a matter of intelligence.

Quit spreading false/misleading information and advocating the promulgation of fake comic books on unsuspecting collectors.  I suppose you're also okay with the counterfeit copies of the ASM 667 and 678 variants making the rounds on eBay too, especially since someone dropped $4k on one of the fake 667's and $1200 on a fake 678?  Or should I just call those "unautorized reproductions"?  

Come on man, you're better than that.

Furthermore, the only counterfeit book to ever "appear" to sell for four digits is one single copy of a counterfeit TMNT 1, and that was back in 2014 (it sold for $1000).  Unfortunately we have no way of determining if even that sale was real (though I doubt it was).  As for counterfeit Cerebus 1, well that has topped out at about $200. None of this is persuasive evidence of an overwhelming demand for fake copies of comic books.  And the biggest difference there is (as you said) CGC notes they are fake on the label.  

Of course a couple of big problems with that logic is A) PGX does not call these books fake on their label, and B) Like this fake walking dead comic, the fake ASM 667 and 678's the Cerebus and TMNT 1's were not created as goofs or novelty items, they were created to decieve people. That CGC has managed to catch some of them doesn't mean they have caught all of them, and as someone who owns many of these books that are being faked, I have a real problem with even the thought of that.  

Why do you keep twisting his words? There is no malicious intent there and you seem to want to make it so. Its just information. I read all his posts there is not misinformation or some "scheme" you 
keep aluding too.  I don't like fake/counterfeits anymore then anyone else does, but there is a market for them and has been for many years. 

My local shop had a Hulk 181 counterfeit come into the shop. Said it right there on the PGX label. The shop owner bought the book and took it home for his collection. Should I judge him because of it?
No, I could care less.

Stop trying to make his words into something they aren't and take them at face value.

Edited by fastballspecial

1 hour ago, fastballspecial said:

Why do you keep twisting his words? There is no malicious intent there and you seem to want to make it so. Its just information. I read all his posts there is not misinformation or some "scheme" you 
keep aluding too.  I don't like fake/counterfeits anymore then anyone else does, but there is a market for them and has been for many years. 

My local shop had a Hulk 181 counterfeit come into the shop. Said it right there on the PGX label. The shop owner bought the book and took it home for his collection. Should I judge him because of it?
No, I could care less.

Stop trying to make his words into something they aren't and take them at face value.

You're entitled to your impressions of what he said and so am I.  

Me personally, I find it absolutely appalling to be advocating in any way shape or form the production and distribution of fake/counterfeit comics.  No they aren't cute, fun and gimmicky and I don't care about your LCS owner and his PGX slabbed fake hulk 181.  If anything you're just further proving the unseamliness of PGX and this homemade walking dead comic even more with such an anecdote.  That fake comics exist and sometimes change hands, if only for paltry sums, does not legitimize them in the least.  I might suggest finding another cause to white knight for, because this sir, ain't a wise one to be hanging your hat and staking your credibility on.  

-J.

Edited by Jaydogrules

Just because you didn't like some factual statements doesn't make us trying to legitimize anything. 

This is obviously a much bigger issue for you then it is for either of us. I get that. Just don't try to drag us thru the mud from making a few factual statements.

7 minutes ago, Jaydogrules said:
1 hour ago, fastballspecial said:

No, I could care less.

You're entitled to your impressions of what he said and so am I.  

Me personally, I find it absolutely appalling to be advocating in any way shape or form the production and distribution of fake/counterfeit comics.  No they aren't cute, fun and gimmicky and I don't care about your LCS owner and his PGX slabbed fake hulk 181.  If anything you're just further proving the unseamliness of PGX and this homemade walking dead comic even more with such an anecdote.  That fake comics exist and sometimes change hands, if only for paltry sums, does not legitimize them in the least.  I might suggest finding another cause to white knight for, because this sir, ain't a wise one to be hanging your hat and staking your credibility on.  

Credibility are you serious? You basically attacked a board member for making a few factual statements and made him seem like a crusader for the legitimacy of counterfeit comics which completely absurd.

Stay on your high horse, but don't twist our words into something that isn't here. You would think Ygoglak and I were forming some sort of organization for the solicitation of these books. Ridiculous.

10 minutes ago, fastballspecial said:

Just because you didn't like some factual statements doesn't make us trying to legitimize anything. 

This is obviously a much bigger issue for you then it is for either of us. I get that. Just don't try to drag us thru the mud from making a few factual statements.

Credibility are you serious? You basically attacked a board member for making a few factual statements and made him seem like a crusader for the legitimacy of counterfeit comics which completely absurd.

Stay on your high horse, but don't twist our words into something that isn't here. You would think Ygoglak and I were forming some sort of organization for the solicitation of these books. Ridiculous.

Let's see you crack a high dollar book out of a slab one time and find out it was fake and the grading company missed it and then see how you feel.  

Maybe then you will see the bane on the market fake/counterfeit comics can be and stop trying to somehow redeem them with your "factual statements". 

-J.

37 minutes ago, Bill manship said:

I bought one of these when they first came out.. paid 150$. So hopefully it's real! But reading all the info on it now is making me nervous. 

IMG_20171227_121932_044.jpg

It's a counterfeit book (confirmed by Image/Skybound's very own Big Clutch).  You aren't out much in the grand scheme of things, at least.  You could be the person who won the last auction (assuming it wasn't just shilled up and didn't actually sell...which is what I'm betting and hoping at least for the buyer).

Edited by Sensei Ryan

I've been watching these Fakes sell on eBay and the nerve of this Seller (who happens to be a comic book dealer) to make some quick cash from unsuspecting buyers is Crazy to me. Here are some amounts: The last auction for a PGX 9.8 sold for $3,550 (#20 of 100 sold on April 1...how ironic), a PGX 9.9 sold for $2,375  (#28 of 100 sold on March 16), and a PGX 9.8 sold $1,691 (#18 of 100 sold on March 18). This scammer was praying on the rarity of course and as more and more were sold off, driving the price up of each subsequent book. It's Sad that a Dealer would do that potentially ruining their reputation. It didn't help that PGX knowingly or unknowingly graded these counterfeit books, "Authenticating" them to help drive that price up. I also notified eBay about these Fakes and eBay finally pulled or the Seller pulled a current auction. 

Edited by Bowchigabowwow

2 hours ago, MGH said:

What on earth does "museum edition" even mean? 

A museum edition is usually a branded variant which takes the original comic and marries it with a canvas like shell. 

Image actually were involved with producing these variants in the early 2000s. I personally owned a Wu-Tang Museum edition which was also limited to 50, made by Image.

Here is another one from them

https://www.ebay.com/itm/IMAGE-COMICS-ATHENA-INC-THE-MANHUNTER-PROJECT-MUSEUM-EDITION-10-of-50-RARE/381921039462?epid=2133357824&hash=item58ec449466:g:HtYAAOSwEzxYdsxo

Edited by Aweandlorder

Never mind, I just saw the pics from the listings. This definitely is a scam; The shell is not made from the same material used in other museum books, the interior does not have the original cover, which ALL museum editions carry.

Scam. and wow, this is scary sh**t

2 hours ago, Bill manship said:

I bought one of these when they first came out.. paid 150$. So hopefully it's real! But reading all the info on it now is making me nervous. 

IMG_20171227_121932_044.jpg

Yes - @Bill manship

What does it look like inside past the museum cover? Is there any way you can take pics of the interior cover front and back, both sides, if there is one? Or is it just guts with a new museum cover?

From the eBay listings for raw copies the interiors are probably image First $1 reprints with their covers ripped off and the museum edition slapped on.The indicia is on the inside of the front cover of these books so you can't tell what printing it is without the front cover still attached, unless the paper quality is different.

Unless someone ripped the covers way back when the book had not yet skyrocketed in value but why go through the trouble of not including the original cover?

Edited by BeachBum

I reached out to Skybound regarding this Book and I did get a response directly from the Horses Mouth: 

"This was never something we put out. We have been in touch with both eBay and now the seller directly. "

Brian Huntington
Online Editorial Director
Skybound Entertainment
www.skybound.com

I also sent a follow up email asking about PGX and if there is going to be any recourse for "authenticating" a fake book. Waiting to hear back. 

7 hours ago, BeachBum said:

From the eBay listings for raw copies the interiors are probably image First $1 reprints with their covers ripped off and the museum edition slapped on.The indicia is on the inside of the front cover of these books so you can't tell what printing it is without the front cover still attached, unless the paper quality is different.

Unless someone ripped the covers way back when the book had not yet skyrocketed in value but why go through the trouble of not including the original cover?

This was produced in 2004, shortly after the original issue came out. The first Image First was not until 2010.

This was not created to capitalize on the value of TWD #1, it was worth that much then.

Edited by ygogolak

9 hours ago, MGH said:

What on earth does "museum edition" even mean? 

Marvel Europe (Panini) has made a number of museum editions and they still produce them.

4 hours ago, cbalroman said:

PGX’s practices are pretty shady. I’m sure they don’t care if the book is fake or not. 

Check the last page for numbers on CGC graded counterfeits.