• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Undervalued Copper Keys
1 1

43 posts in this topic

2 hours ago, s.krank said:

Any examples?  Do you know for instance of any pre-Acclaim newsstands for the X-O run?

The Valiant comics didn't have any barcodes until Birthquake, if I'm not mistaken. Then they added them for Direct Editions, and for the Newsstands, when they created those editions

12 hours ago, s.krank said:

Any examples?  Do you know for instance of any pre-Acclaim newsstands for the X-O run?

X-O Manowar (1st series, 1992-1996) had newsstands for #43 through #62.  The #43 newsstand was also a different price ($2.50 vs. $2.25 for direct edition), but #44 through #62 are all $2.50 for both types.

(Technically, those are all still Acclaim books because Acclaim bought Valiant in 1994 and Acclaim was in charge of the newsstand program... but they are pre-Acclaim's own X-O title starting in 1996-1997.)

Edited by valiantman

2 hours ago, valiantman said:

Getting back on track, I'll throw out Warrior #1 (1982, UK Magazine) as undervalued.  First appearance of V for Vendetta, pre-Miracleman version of Miracleman, and pretty tough to find (even tougher in high grade).

Yeah, no doubt, great pick and I've thought this for a while myself, but haven't gotten around to seriously seeking one out. Does CGC grade these yet? I know the magazine format, in general, is a bit of a departure from the comics size and that creates a barrier for collectors (I think some of the Marvel mags having 1st apps may have helped soften that). Used to be CGC didn't grade them either, but maybe that's changed now that they do SI and the bunny books.

Edited by Martin Sinescu

20 minutes ago, Martin Sinescu said:

Yeah, no doubt, great pick and I've thought this for a while myself, but haven't gotten around to seriously seeking one out. Does CGC grade these yet? I know the magazine format, in general, is a bit of a departure from the comics size and that creates a barrier for collectors (I think some of the Marvel mags having 1st apps may have helped soften that). Used to be CGC didn't grade them either, but maybe that's changed now that they do SI and the bunny books.

Yep, CGC has 12 copies on the census, having started grading them in 2010.

1 hour ago, valiantman said:

Yep, CGC has 12 copies on the census, having started grading them in 2010.

I picked up a second copy at WonderCon last week. For any of these copper UK titles (see also Captain Britain) what is the best bag/board/holder size to use?

I think I was able to jam a CB #1 into a golden (or magazine?) but the Warriors are too big.

Edited by manetteska

4 hours ago, valiantman said:

Getting back on track, I'll throw out Warrior #1 (1982, UK Magazine) as undervalued.  First appearance of V for Vendetta, pre-Miracleman version of Miracleman, and pretty tough to find (even tougher in high grade).

Insanely correct. First appearance of a character that broke out of comics and became a widely recognized icon. Not to mention one of the all-time classic Alan Moore graphic novels. PLUS the resurrection of Britain's biggest superhero in the story that MADE Alan Moore...and changed superhero comics forever. AND ended up as a Marvel Comics character which anyone should be anticipating incorporation into the Marvel Universe. So, yeah, insanely correct.

As a rule of thumb I ALWAYS buy books which price varies widely. Warrior magazine is one of those examples. It ranges between $40-175 for a raw VF copy. If the price fluctuation is consistent with said book, to me it indicates that there is interest, but no hype. Great time to buy when you find cheap and stock up till the hype wave hits. It almost always does.

I did the same with Spawn 1, Punisher 1 (1st on going) and others whenever I found them for 2-3$ in NM years ago

Other books which show potential are Web Of Spider Man 1 Ghost Rider 1 (actually getting more difficult to find a NM copy of those two under 5), Spider-Man Unlimited 1, Punisher War Journal 1 

26 minutes ago, Aweandlorder said:

As a rule of thumb I ALWAYS buy books which price varies widely. Warrior magazine is one of those examples. It ranges between $40-175 for a raw VF copy. If the price fluctuation is consistent with said book, to me it indicates that there is interest, but no hype. Great time to buy when you find cheap and stock up till the hype wave hits. It almost always does.

A theatrical re-release of V for Vendetta would be a very interesting scenario.  The combination of "new eyes" seeing it in light of current world events and the inevitable "boycott" by those it "targets" (even though they had nothing to do with the 1980s storyline or the original release) could be another interesting footnote in pop culture. hm

I like a few other Copper Age books that are movie-related (or television), but the "hype machine" for movie-related comics wasn't running yet...

Starslayer #2

Dark Horse Presents #10

Flaming Carrot #16

V for Vendetta #1 (in addition to Warrior #1)

Men In Black (1990) #1

Army of Darkness #1

Back To The Future (1991) #1 and pre-#1 Special

Dark Horse Presents 5th Anniversary Special

Simpsons Comics (Special, 1993, Welsh), #1 (1993, Bongo)

... and Marvel Super Special #16 (pre-Star Wars #42 Boba Fett)

Edited by valiantman

3 hours ago, Aweandlorder said:

I did the same with Spawn 1, Punisher 1 (1st on going) and others whenever I found them for 2-3$ in NM years ago

Other books which show potential are Web Of Spider Man 1 Ghost Rider 1 (actually getting more difficult to find a NM copy of those two under 5), Spider-Man Unlimited 1, Punisher War Journal 1 

Warrior #1 is a perfect example of Copper rarity that is far from its full potential. 

McFarlane books. 

I think that McFarlane is slowly becoming the most popular figure in comic books (and toys for that matter). I think that when (sadly) Stan will be gone, Todd will be his successor. He is already worth more than Stan and his books are experiencing a boost in value and I dont think its because of movie hype. If you're an aggressive speculator youd go after the usual suspects. But I would also seek smaller keys

s-l1600.thumb.jpg.63f26cd3229a86e26cbf82124e93b407.jpg

On 3/30/2018 at 12:07 PM, JTLarsen said:
On 3/30/2018 at 7:18 AM, valiantman said:

Insanely correct. First appearance of a character that broke out of comics and became a widely recognized icon. Not to mention one of the all-time classic Alan Moore graphic novels. PLUS the resurrection of Britain's biggest superhero in the story that MADE Alan Moore...and changed superhero comics forever. AND ended up as a Marvel Comics character which anyone should be anticipating incorporation into the Marvel Universe. So, yeah, insanely correct.

Until Miracleman/Marvelman is resolved and news stories produced, Warrior #1 will always lag. And, it's a mag, so it's got a strike against it. 

If it was in comic book form, I imagine it would be a several thousand dollar book in ultra high grade. 

6 hours ago, RockMyAmadeus said:

Until Miracleman/Marvelman is resolved and news stories produced, Warrior #1 will always lag. And, it's a mag, so it's got a strike against it. 

If it was in comic book form, I imagine it would be a several thousand dollar book in ultra high grade. 

Agreed on both fronts, making it still a great deal now. Lots of bargains to be had with UK mags, old Marvelman comics, etc.

17 hours ago, NoMan said:

Moon Knight #1 TV show news! 

$317 GPA sale of a 9.6 in early 2018. Wonder how the heck that happened?

There has been no TV show news. Just someone saying they would like it. As Kevin Feige said a while ago.

3 hours ago, ygogolak said:

There has been no TV show news. Just someone saying they would like it. As Kevin Feige said a while ago.

in GPA for 2018 someone paid $317 for MK #1 in 9.6. It was certainly an outlier or whatever you guys call that where some poor chump paid WAY more than he should have as I think the average was 60$ or something. Wonder what the story was:Two drunk guys on ebay that had egos that wouldn't let 'em lose?

Edited by NoMan