• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Swamp Thing #90

16 posts in this topic

Great cover and equally great story! Part of the Swampy time-travel story arc that was cleverly written and fun to read. Also there was a part of this story arc that was rejected by DC for being too controversial in which Swamp Thing meets Jesus Christ. I believe the cover to the issue was to have ST morphing out of the top of the crucifix Jesus was on. This was the type of storyline that showed the need for Vertigo to emerge.

Get it CGCd.

To me, CGC books are ALL about the cover. If you've got a nice copy, submit it and buy a "reader" later on(for a buck! !).

I want a complete run of PREACHER CGC books, but because they are "low dollar" not many have been submitted, so I will end up doing it myself.

This whole conversation is crazy to me. If it's that great of a cover, then just use the $30 it would cost you to ship and slab it and buy a couple more copies for $2 each, and have one custom framed in UV mylar. It would look a hellofa lot better than a slab.

Or make scans or color copies and have those framed. You could blow one up into a poster.

Why is CGC the only option?

This whole conversation is crazy to me. If it's that great of a cover, then just use the $30 it would cost you to ship and slab it and buy a couple more copies for $2 each, and have one custom framed in UV mylar. It would look a hellofa lot better than a slab.

Or make scans or color copies and have those framed. You could blow one up into a poster.

Why is CGC the only option?

It isnt the only option. But for me it is the best. I don't flip books, i send my best and my favourite comcis to CGC from my personal collection. I collect runs and am aiming and filling a comic room with slabs of all my runs cloud9.gif If i can upgrade at any point then i will do that and probably sell the lower grade version to make some of the funds back.

I love the CGC presentation case and label (old and new) and thats how i choose to display my comics. People would probably think i am screwy for some of the books i send in!

I love the black cover on this book. I am thinking of having it CGC slabbed because I don't want anything to happen to it.

Do you think I am nuts to CGC a relatively inexpensive comic?

SwampThing90.jpg893scratchchin-thumb.gif

Dude seriously save your money. A slab adds NOTHING to this comic makepoint.gif Save your money and if you like it that much go looking for the original art. If you find the art, you'll need all the pennies you can muster.

Hi ya Jayman,

I am just afraid of fondling my comic and getting my greasy little fingerprints on it. The slabbing is more of a protector than anything.

I had a Mighty Mouse, when I first started collecting, and the tape stuck on the front when I was removing it. After that I AM SUPER CAREFUL with my books. Maybe too cautious.

I am still a novice. So, please tell me - in a mylar isn't the book open to air that can eventually harm the book? As far as the UV goes...if I keep the book in a closet, would the UV matter?

Thanks, Alex confused.gif

Hi ya Jayman,

I am just afraid of fondling my comic and getting my greasy little fingerprints on it. The slabbing is more of a protector than anything.

I had a Mighty Mouse, when I first started collecting, and the tape stuck on the front when I was removing it. After that I AM SUPER CAREFUL with my books. Maybe too cautious.

I hear ya, I NEVER use tape anymore for that very reason. And you can never be too carefull with your books!

I am still a novice. So, please tell me - in a mylar isn't the book open to air that can eventually harm the book? As far as the UV goes...if I keep the book in a closet, would the UV matter?

Thanks, Alex confused.gif

There are two schools of thought on this, in a mylar the top is open to the air and can release some of the harmful gases that build up. While others say the book should be sealed (or closed flap) to keep the air out but then the gases build up in the bag. Actually the most damage done to books on the average is from mishandling.

As far as UV is concerned, I only mentioned that if you were going to have them out on display.

Yes tbe common idea is that the open end allows for off gassing, yet the slight compression in the Mylar with the Full Back keeps the comic preserved well. If you are worried about air on certain books do this.

Place your book in a Mylite2 with fullback - open/flap end at the bottom instead of the top with NO TAPE.

Then place the Mylite2/FB into a 4 mil Mylar. Since the flap side is down and goes in first it will seal from the pressure of the Mylar.

This way: NO TAPE - NO AIR, or much less and double protection.

Personally I prefer the Mylar for presentation of a comic over a CGC slab. It just looks so much better in there. I mean the holder is sturdier no question, but with the inferior design it could end up hurting your comic. insane.gif

Jbud,

In your example, would you need to use a 4mil Mylar that is one size or two sizes bigger than the mylite2 with the fullback i.e. if its a standard mylite2, do i need to use a silver or gold sized 4mil Mylar for the best fit?

Thanks

B