• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Could this be pressed out?
1 1

10 posts in this topic

This is slightly over a quarter inch in length on top edge. I'm not sure what to call it but It looks like a slight bend. I've included the pictures from top, bottom, side & direct angles.The bottom angle looks like it has a small tear but it's so small I can't be sure that it is even with a magnifying glass. The book is a 9.6. The rest of it looks fine other than what I'm pointing out. Wondering if this is what's keeping it from a 9.8? Unfortunately there are no grader's notes

I included a wider image as the last one to show how small the defect is.

IMG_20180328_163820.jpg

IMG_20180328_163635.jpg

IMG_20180328_164052.jpg

IMG_20180328_161128.jpg

IMG_20180328_161614.jpg

IMG_20180328_161840.jpg

I can't 100% tell of its torn or not.  But I'm sure 90% of that could be pressed out.   I have 9.8s with two spine ticks so I dont know how far down they would grade a small tear if everything else was fine.  9.8s are not perfect.  Problem is these guys only press it 1 time and i don't know if they humidify the book or not, I would guess not. 

Getting moisture in the book first is what compliments the pressing.  Without that pressing isn't nearly as effective.  I always tell guys to buy a cheap press and do it themselves, its really not that hard but no one talks about how to do it.   I have had to press books 5 or 6 times to get creases out, and each time leaving the book in a humidity chamber overnight.  There is no way they are going to do this for you.

I don't know if you can PM here but am happy to pass along what i have learned.  I have pressed 300 - 400 of my own books and learned a lot.  I have turned books in the 8s to 9.6 - 9.8s...not common but it does happen.  Just to be clear I don't do this as a business, just for myself.

31 minutes ago, MGsimba77 said:

The difference in value between a 9.6 & 9.8 with this book would be over 10k! That's what makes it so damn frustrating!! Just trying to get feedback from boardies with much more experienced eyes than mine. 

I doubt you'll get the bump to 9.8 with that tear.   Based on the above, it's already an expensive book.  While it's tempting (10K is a lot of $$$), I wouldn't do it as there's a better chance you could drop the grade than there is you would improve it.  

3 hours ago, MGsimba77 said:

Thanks! I'm not going to attempt any press job myself. Not by a long shot! It looks like a very minute tear but I can only tell from looking very closely from the bottom angle. I'm thinking it's so small it may not even be visible if that top edge gets pressed?

The difference in value between a 9.6 & 9.8 with this book would be over 10k! That's what makes it so damn frustrating!! Just trying to get feedback from boardies with much more experienced eyes than mine. 

If I contact a pressing service about this I'm sure they'll just say yes to anything and claim anything can be fixed. Would rather get an objective opinion.

A tear can be improved, not removed. Will the damage look better..yes. Was the damage there before the book was graded initially...probably not. So even if it was pressed there is no guarantee of a grade bump. If a tear was added due to SCS, the possibility of a downgrade exists. A detailed evaluation of the whole book would be needed in order to ascertain if it is worth a CPR. 

Objective enough for you?

23 minutes ago, joeypost said:

A tear can be improved, not removed. Will the damage look better..yes. Was the damage there before the book was graded initially...probably not. So even if it was pressed there is no guarantee of a grade bump. If a tear was added due to SCS, the possibility of a downgrade exists. A detailed evaluation of the whole book would be needed in order to ascertain if it is worth a CPR. 

Objective enough for you?

Excuse my ignorance but what is SCS? How could it possibly have happened after encapsulation (if that's what you meant)? It's not moving in the slab. I don't want to show the book because I don't want it to affect anyone's view. The corners are sharp with no wear at all. Spine has no ticks or marks at all & edges are flat. Staples look good. Colors bright, no matting or anything else on back cover. Just the defect I'm pointing out. I have a number of 9.4s and they all clearly have more wear than this.

Thanks for the feedback!

Edited by MGsimba77

55 minutes ago, MGsimba77 said:

Excuse my ignorance but what is SCS? How could it possibly have happened after encapsulation (if that's what you meant)? It's not moving in the slab. I don't want to show the book because I don't want it to affect anyone's view. The corners are sharp with no wear at all. Spine has no ticks or marks at all & edges are flat. Staples look good. Colors bright, no matting or anything else on back cover. Just the defect I'm pointing out. I have a number of 9.4s and they all clearly have more wear than this.

Thanks for the feedback!

Shaken Comic Syndrome

A book can receive some edge damage even if it is not shaken or jostled. It can happen due to improper storage where gravity takes over and pushed an edge of the book into the inner well, which may or may not have an even surface.

I'm just going to summarize what everybody else has already stated in the hope that you fully understand. The damage is quite clearly from SCS, damage that happened inside the slab, after the fact. It was not graded with this flaw. It probably happened during shipping. If the books was already a 9.6 and it now has this tear, I think you will very likely get a lower grade if resubmitted as oppossed to a 9.8 . This book will never get a 9.8 with a tear. If pressed, it is possible the book will remain a 9.6 but again, it will never get a 9.8 . I am sorry this happened to you. If you just got it, return it. There was a fairly recent post about a Hulk 181 with an identical situation. I hope you did not buy the same book.I think he bought it from Metropolis and they agreed to accept a return.

4 hours ago, Bomber-Bob said:

I'm just going to summarize what everybody else has already stated in the hope that you fully understand. The damage is quite clearly from SCS, damage that happened inside the slab, after the fact. It was not graded with this flaw. It probably happened during shipping. If the books was already a 9.6 and it now has this tear, I think you will very likely get a lower grade if resubmitted as oppossed to a 9.8 . This book will never get a 9.8 with a tear. If pressed, it is possible the book will remain a 9.6 but again, it will never get a 9.8 . I am sorry this happened to you. If you just got it, return it. There was a fairly recent post about a Hulk 181 with an identical situation. I hope you did not buy the same book.I think he bought it from Metropolis and they agreed to accept a return.

Appreciate the feedback. No this is not the Metropolis book. I got a clearer picture of it now thanks

Edited by MGsimba77