• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

How accurate are MyComicShop and Midtown Comics grades?

32 posts in this topic

Actually, Metro undergraded two books I had. Tales from the Crypt 38, Metro said 5.5, CGC called it a 7.0. Donald Duck 26, graded VG+ by Metro, CGC grade was 6.5. But that was quite a few years ago.

Most of my buying lately has been MCS, which has an amazing selection and very strict grading. Also, a tip of the hat to Bob Storms(the best grader in the business), and Greg Reece.

2 hours ago, Larryw7 said:

Actually, Metro undergraded two books I had. Tales from the Crypt 38, Metro said 5.5, CGC called it a 7.0. Donald Duck 26, graded VG+ by Metro, CGC grade was 6.5. But that was quite a few years ago.

Most of my buying lately has been MCS, which has an amazing selection and very strict grading. Also, a tip of the hat to Bob Storms(the best grader in the business), and Greg Reece.

+1

On 8/16/2020 at 6:26 PM, Larryw7 said:

Also, a tip of the hat to Bob Storms(the best grader in the business)

So far not sold on that claim. And it isn't a great sign that my apprehension at a rather obvious example was met with hostility by Bob, who further stated that everyone commenting on the "Spare a grade" knew nothing and that a book shouldn't be judged on scans since we can't see it in hand. That does of course defeat the purpose of an online business model, I mean if I am told I can't trust the scans, then what is the point of having them there?

But that's all off topic since this isn't about Bob Storms.

Edited by William-James88

38 minutes ago, William-James88 said:

Maybe I picked a bad example but after seeing the kudos, I gave his site a look and so far not impressed at all. I don't see how this could ever be seen as "Fine":

https://www.highgradecomics.com/book-details/?id=117747

Front Cover Image

What would you grade it?

Edited by mrd160

On 8/16/2020 at 9:21 PM, mrd160 said:

What would you grade it?

As it turns out, since this is a board member, which I was unaware, we shouldn't discuss issues we may have with their grading out in the open. It is also not on topic since what's being discussed here are Midtown Comics and MCS.

23 hours ago, 1950's war comics said:

yep , agree and i don't think Metro has ever under-graded a comic  , not even once

Well, I bought a MTU #19 that was graded by Metro as a 9.2, and as a 9.4 by CGC!

Most of the other comics I bought were overgraded by Metro, though.

I agree with many others that the most reliable grades are provided by MyComicShop.

Ok since this thread is up already I’ll pose the question:

there’s four different copper comics in Metropolis listed as raw 9.8’s.  If I buy all four, do people think I can get at least 2 Cgc 9.8’s? Do you think they’ll press into Cgc 9.8’s?

or should I just pass entirely?

also, there are NO SCANS.  they’re not terribly expensive, but I don’t want to just throw money away.

Any thoughts appreciated.

1 hour ago, revat said:

Ok since this thread is up already I’ll pose the question:

there’s four different copper comics in Metropolis listed as raw 9.8’s.  If I buy all four, do people think I can get at least 2 Cgc 9.8’s? Do you think they’ll press into Cgc 9.8’s?

or should I just pass entirely?

also, there are NO SCANS.  they’re not terribly expensive, but I don’t want to just throw money away.

Any thoughts appreciated.

Are you interested in purchasing them there since they are priced better than elsewhere? Because unless it's a great deal (it might be if you are thinking of spending an extra $20 on each for pressing), it might not be worth the hassel. I mean no scans sounds like a massive red flag. Also, in general, I am always apprehensive of anyone grading a 9.8 raw.

I've ordered a few times from Midtown and thought it was a bit of a crapshoot, but overall any issues I've had with them have been with their shipping/packing people.  Customer service was good to me, though.  

MCS has been good.  As others have stated, they tend to be a bit conservative with the grading.  I don't think I've ever been disappointed when buying and sometimes get surprised like getting a 9.8 on a Canadian Price Variant that they sold me an a VF copy.

So, I wouldn't be hesitant with MCS.  Just do your due diligence with other vendors.