• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

USPS drops the ball
3 3

50 posts in this topic

I had a PO Box and at least once a year they lost a package inside the Post Office. I'd file a claim and then they would find it there in the Post Office even though it was marked as delivered. Eventually I stopped filing claims and I would just come back another day when it was less busy and find one of the ladies that worked there for years. They always found it immediately.

I've written several times about my mailbox at the local UPS store and have never had a problem (they did give me someone else's pelican case once by mistake which I returned). I have had $XXXX books delivered there in the past and never lost sleep. One of the clerks knows I buy/sell comics and he told me about his uncle's collection with the Superman #1, the IH 181 CGC 9.6, etc., so we talked comics and now he looks out for my boxes. 

20 hours ago, miraclemet said:
On 3/29/2018 at 5:48 PM, BlowUpTheMoon said:

The carrier had a look around 80 Clinton St., but had not found my package.  The supervisor said the carrier checked with the building's largest tenant, a comic book place.  I asked the name of the "comic book place".  Supervisor says, Sleeping Giant.

I called Sleeping Giant and sure enough they have my books. Three blocks and one flight of stairs and I have my books in hand.

Wait. The carrier checked with the comic shop,but didn't find it.

You check with the comic shop and lo and behold there it is!

I'd be thinking either

A) usps carrier is lying about checking cause he's a lazy pos. 

B) usps did check but the comic shop had already opened the box and decided to keep the comics so thy played dumb until you showed up and they grew a conscience.

Was the package unopened?

1) Am unsure how vigorously the carrier searched for the package at 80 Clinton Street/Sleeping Giant  The USPS supervisor told me there's only one company at 80 Clinton that receives mail.
2) The box was opened and discarded.  The books were loose and the top one had a Post-It saying "Could Not Find".  Sleeping Giant told me they did not order the books and they were put aside.  There were four books in the package.  When I called Sleeping Giant, from memory I listed three books.  They instantly told me the fourth book. 

9 hours ago, BlowUpTheMoon said:

1) Am unsure how vigorously the carrier searched for the package at 80 Clinton Street/Sleeping Giant  The USPS supervisor told me there's only one company at 80 Clinton that receives mail.
2) The box was opened and discarded.  The books were loose and the top one had a Post-It saying "Could Not Find".  Sleeping Giant told me they did not order the books and they were put aside.  There were four books in the package.  When I called Sleeping Giant, from memory I listed three books.  They instantly told me the fourth book. 

Something about this doesn't add up. If you received something that you could not identify as being yours, why would you discard crucial information that was on the box it came in? A simple post it saying "could not find" seems awfully suspicious. Glad you got your stuff back but not impressed with the general lack of concern by the store over handling incoming items.

Sounds like your local post office made slightly more of an effort than mine did with my recent lost package. 

Had a $100 book coming from the UK (not a comic, an actual 1st edition book). Tracking showed it was delivered to my mail box but no package. 

I live in a gated housing development so all the mail boxes are in one location inside the development. Thought perhaps it got dropped in one of the other resident’s boxes  

I called the post office and spoke to a clerk who sounded as though she could barely muster the enthusiasm to answer the phone much less give a rip about my package. I was courteous and polite, please and thank you. 

She took my phone number and said she would speak to the carrier and have him check for it. 

No phone call back, can’t say I was holding my breath on that. Certainly didn’t get any CSI-style cell phone triangulation on my package. 

So bye-bye $100, really not much else I can do since the tracking shows delivered. 

Hope one of neighbors enjoys their new book. 

On 3/31/2018 at 9:05 PM, miraclemet said:

And I had my local usps misdeliver a $1000 copy of Spirit 22, WITH SIGNATURE CONFIRMATION.

They show me the signature and say "See you signed for it!" and I have to convince them it's not my name or signature...

And they said because it had been signed for, an insurance claim was going to be tough for me to prove nondelivery.

What .

And...what happened?

Would like to know why if two packages I'm expecting were in Harrisburg, PA yesterday and I live in the Philly suburbs, why the heck they were sent to Washington, DC yesterday instead of to my local Post Office? Delivery was expected today, but that won't be happening. Yeah, I know my story is nothing compared to the horror stories in this thread, but I still find it aggravating. Chose to vent here, it's not like anyone at USPS would give a rat's rip.

On 4/2/2018 at 1:02 PM, ygogolak said:

And...what happened?

they found it. it had not actually gone out for delivery. i asked then how it was signed for and how they were able to show me a signature confirmation, and they couldnt answer that and just hemmed and hawed...

do i got my book, but have zero faith in the local post office

40 minutes ago, Brother J said:

Would like to know why if two packages I'm expecting were in Harrisburg, PA yesterday and I live in the Philly suburbs, why the heck they were sent to Washington, DC yesterday instead of to my local Post Office? Delivery was expected today, but that won't be happening. Yeah, I know my story is nothing compared to the horror stories in this thread, but I still find it aggravating. Chose to vent here, it's not like anyone at USPS would give a rat's rip.

with all the automated sorting routing problems like this happen all the time. scanner on a shute reads a bar code wrong and off they go to a different hub.

3 hours ago, miraclemet said:

they found it. it had not actually gone out for delivery. i asked then how it was signed for and how they were able to show me a signature confirmation, and they couldnt answer that and just hemmed and hawed...

do i got my book, but have zero faith in the local post office

You should report this to the Postal Inspectors office that covers your area.  Someone committed mail fraud if your PO tried to pass off a bogus signature as your own.

On 3/29/2018 at 2:48 PM, BlowUpTheMoon said:

80 Fake St.(my house).

Hey, you live a block down from Marge Simpson.

By the way...the whole thing was a ploy, concocted by the USPS and Sleeping Giant, to get you into the store.

Worked, didn't it...?