• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Where the Wild Things art on Pawn Stars

18 posts in this topic

1 hour ago, buyatari said:

Just saw this. Sorry if it has already been posted. 

Very envious of Rick. My main love is original comic art. But anyone who was a kid in the last 50 years remembers this story. I'd love to have just one piece of the art rick got hold of. Thanks for posting this. 

7 hours ago, grapeape said:

Very envious of Rick. My main love is original comic art. But anyone who was a kid in the last 50 years remembers this story. I'd love to have just one piece of the art rick got hold of. Thanks for posting this. 

For all its worth, some of those sales are fakes (at least according to what I have read on-line)--the producers find people who have interesting things and stage the scenes. I read something about a guy who had a Gibson guitar in his shop, and the producers arranged for him to have it sold at the pawn shop with a fake back story.

My question is: Are these original drawings that were used in the book? Or are they separate commission type drawings that Sendak did later on? If the latter, I'm not sure I'd pay $250K for them. If they were used in the book, then $250K is definitely a good deal.

Edited by PhilipB2k17

3 hours ago, Rick2you2 said:

For all its worth, some of those sales are fakes (at least according to what I have read on-line)--the producers find people who have interesting things and stage the scenes. I read something about a guy who had a Gibson guitar in his shop, and the producers arranged for him to have it sold at the pawn shop with a fake back story.

Yes, there's that. They have to come up with interesting content on a weekly basis, and stuff like that doesn't always walk in the door.

Sothebys had several specialty ad pieces for sale 1-2 years ago that were much nicer in the $25-50K range, if I remember correctly (and I may not be.) They were in a dark side room without much fanfare.

http://www.sothebys.com/en/news-video/slideshows/2015/wild-things-the-art-of-maurice-sendak.html

http://www.sothebys.com/en/auctions/2015/wild-things-the-art-of-maurice-sendak-n09250.html

During a trip to Wizard Philly one year, my wife and I went to the Rosenbach Museum where the originals for the book were displayed until 2014. Shame they returned them to the estate-

https://rosenbach.org/visit/exhibitions/maurice-sendak-a-legacy/

15 minutes ago, BCarter27 said:

Sothebys had several specialty ad pieces for sale 1-2 years ago that were much nicer in the $25-50K range, if I remember correctly (and I may not be.) They were in a dark side room without much fanfare.

http://www.sothebys.com/en/news-video/slideshows/2015/wild-things-the-art-of-maurice-sendak.html

http://www.sothebys.com/en/auctions/2015/wild-things-the-art-of-maurice-sendak-n09250.html

During a trip to Wizard Philly one year, my wife and I went to the Rosenbach Museum where the originals for the book were displayed until 2014. Shame they returned them to the estate-

https://rosenbach.org/visit/exhibitions/maurice-sendak-a-legacy/

Yes. Like I said, I think $250K was too much for those. That's around $20K per drawing.

25 minutes ago, Bronty said:

If it’s a legit sale, maybe he has a buyer lined up.   I don’t see him just taking a shot on them when it’s 250k

Very likely. It looked too quick. They probably condensed weeks of haggling into a 5 minute rehearsed segment. I wonder if Rick is going to put them up at HA or some other auction house? We'll know if they pop up! Also, Rick is savvy enough to know that "art featured on Pawn Stars!" might give it a bit of a boost when they re-sell them.

Edited by PhilipB2k17

49 minutes ago, PhilipB2k17 said:

I wonder if Rick is going to put them up at HA or some other auction house? We'll know if they pop up! Also, Rick is savvy enough to know that "art featured on Pawn Stars!" might give it a bit of a boost when they re-sell them.

Or you could just buy them on his website.

https://gspawn.com/search.php?search_query=sendak&section=product

I find the relative pricing interesting.     The prices don't quite measure up with their relative strengths in my mind.     The one that seems like the best value is marked SOLD

For example I find "I" slightly stronger than "V" but "V" is marked at double the price.     I don't think "V" being 5 inches bigger is enough.

And, I find "VII" to be quite a bit better than "V" yet they are the same price.

etc.

Edited by Bronty

5 minutes ago, Bronty said:

I find the relative pricing interesting.     The prices don't quite measure up with their relative strengths in my mind.     The one that seems like the best value is marked SOLD

which one is sold?

17 hours ago, Rick2you2 said:

Yeah I've heard the same thing. Very fun show though. If they would cut out the fake Chumlee bits they could spend more time showing us interesting items.

11 hours ago, MagnusX said:

Maybe a little bit off topic
but I will like to share this OA Cover of Hulk # 49
an homage from Kaare Andrews to Where the wild things are...

No mine,
belong to CAF member Mike Rice
you can see it here... Link...

5abe73b6b351b_Hulk_49_main20copy.jpg.78f12c4ecd965a0d0ad481e61d23a53c.jpg

This is brilliant. I have let Mike know he really got a special piece.

21 hours ago, Bronty said:

For example I find "I" slightly stronger than "V" but "V" is marked at double the price.     I don't think "V" being 5 inches bigger is enough.

And, I find "VII" to be quite a bit better than "V" yet they are the same price.

etc.

He must base pricing on size from years of selling various art prints. 

21 hours ago, MagnusX said:

Maybe a little bit off topic
but I will like to share this OA Cover of Hulk # 49
an homage from Kaare Andrews to Where the wild things are...

No mine,
belong to CAF member Mike Rice
you can see it here... Link...

5abe73b6b351b_Hulk_49_main20copy.jpg.78f12c4ecd965a0d0ad481e61d23a53c.jpg

Always a little jarring to scroll through a post and see a piece you own!

Thanks for the comments all. This cover is well-loved.