• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Found one comic book with four stapes
1 1

14 posts in this topic

This Easter weekend on my break, I went to do some bag replacements with my new Comics received from mail all month since. I found one comic book - Archie #132 - had 4 staples. The odd thing is that two staples were stapled off centre and only half of the full pages in there. They aren’t touching the covers either. I haven’t seen like that before. Did inspected on the spine. No holes. 

See the photos...

05E3794F-7981-4F01-AF51-FC9FEBAAE2B5.jpeg

5838E3B8-AACC-40DB-991C-8D476B75BA69.jpeg

496FBCB8-F1FD-4125-8C6A-34DE13C2AD0B.jpeg

40D9F1F7-A3F5-482A-8998-407E8F354D15.jpeg

4BA541C4-55D5-4A0E-8B3A-81EBF0994606.jpeg

I thought there was thread on a book like this last year. Similar staple situation and I think most felt it was a production error where the book was first stapled mistakenly without its cover, and then the cover was added to correct the error. That would account for the lack of previous staple holes on the cover itself. That the staples are so offset is somewhat strange as well.

6 minutes ago, paperheart said:

forensic pathologist required

sta·pes
ˈstāpēz/
noun
Anatomy
noun: stapes; plural noun: stapes
  1. a small stirrup-shaped bone in the middle ear, transmitting vibrations from the incus to the inner ear.

My point (no pun intended) exactly.lol Coding 154779, modifier 59, I think.

lol  I thought it was fun to see what people think of that production error. What I’m wondering if the publishers are still making errors with staples over the years or have they improved with technology? I noticed that in newer comics. 

Have a good Easter weekend!

I've had a few of these I've come across in ASM Bronze runs (early 100s). I've only submitted one and that came out to a universal 9.0. I remember reading an online post where Steve Borok said that this will not affect the grading except at the NM+ grades.