• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Unique CGC label error.

29 posts in this topic

13 minutes ago, MadGenius said:

Thank you, Sean and Shane. It's in everyone's best interest that CGC improves in the QC department. How much time and money was wasted with this one submission that had to be sent back twice? Mistakes will happen, but if CGC had ensure they are minimized then that is better for their bottom line and will engender more good will from their customer base.

I'm going to respectfully disagree that QC at CGC is statistically as bad as you are inferring. You stated 'Rarely do I get a submission back without any label errors'. You must have tremendously bad luck. Over the years, with probably a couple thousand submissions, I only recall having one label error. Also, it's not the fault of QC that your book arrived with a crack in the slab. 

56 minutes ago, Bomber-Bob said:

I'm going to respectfully disagree that QC at CGC is statistically as bad as you are inferring. You stated 'Rarely do I get a submission back without any label errors'. You must have tremendously bad luck. Over the years, with probably a couple thousand submissions, I only recall having one label error. Also, it's not the fault of QC that your book arrived with a crack in the slab. 

I just looked at my invoice history for the past 6 months. I've submitted 37 books including the 2 book reholder that they messed up by transposing the labels. I had 4 label errors out of 37 (10.8%) and that is not counting the one that was cracked. Small sample size, granted, but a 5-10% error rate seems about right based on my experience over the years. Is it bad luck? Possibly, but I've submitted enough books over the years for some of that bad luck to even out. It hasn't. In my opinion, an error rate of less than 1% is what I would expect, but I feel they are above that figure.

And this is just QC/label errors. Don't even get me started on the various accounting errors I've experience over the years. I like the CGC product and they always, eventually, make good on these errors so I keep coming back. BUT, I would like them a lot more if I didn't have to deal with these sorts of this on a semi-regular basis.

3 hours ago, MadGenius said:

I just looked at my invoice history for the past 6 months. I've submitted 37 books including the 2 book reholder that they messed up by transposing the labels. I had 4 label errors out of 37 (10.8%) and that is not counting the one that was cracked. Small sample size, granted, but a 5-10% error rate seems about right based on my experience over the years. Is it bad luck? Possibly, but I've submitted enough books over the years for some of that bad luck to even out. It hasn't. In my opinion, an error rate of less than 1% is what I would expect, but I feel they are above that figure.

And this is just QC/label errors. Don't even get me started on the various accounting errors I've experience over the years. I like the CGC product and they always, eventually, make good on these errors so I keep coming back. BUT, I would like them a lot more if I didn't have to deal with these sorts of this on a semi-regular basis.

It really makes you wonder. If they can have errors on the labels and errors with the accounting, can they have errors with the grade ? Do you think that sometimes the wrong grade is input ? I once submitted a book, issue #98 of a title. The book was in the 8.5 range with some obvious flaws. It got a grade of 9.8 . I often wondered if the issue number influenced an error.

On 3/30/2018 at 9:09 AM, Impulse :) said:

20180330_110236.jpg.caabacea556b9252549f113f04c93d76.jpgRarely do I have a CGC label error, but curious how this label got by quality control? 

Great label.  Keep it!

16 hours ago, Bomber-Bob said:

Bob, you can correct me if I am wrong, but I am going to assume nearly all or all of yours were blue label, and that they were all vintage (meaning that CGC has graded plenty of them over the years and had plenty of time to fix any typos or problems with the labels). MG does a fair amount of SS stuff, and also a lot of Moderns. From my experience, CGC does much worse on these types of books for two major reasons: (1) Yellow labels require hand entering data for sigs and human error is MUCH more likely; and (2) Moderns are subject to having the entire label be completely wrong (wrong series, wrong volume etc.) and QC is not as familiar with them to make the error seem clear.   

11 minutes ago, seanfingh said:

Bob, you can correct me if I am wrong, but I am going to assume nearly all or all of yours were blue label, and that they were all vintage (meaning that CGC has graded plenty of them over the years and had plenty of time to fix any typos or problems with the labels). MG does a fair amount of SS stuff, and also a lot of Moderns. From my experience, CGC does much worse on these types of books for two major reasons: (1) Yellow labels require hand entering data for sigs and human error is MUCH more likely; and (2) Moderns are subject to having the entire label be completely wrong (wrong series, wrong volume etc.) and QC is not as familiar with them to make the error seem clear.   

Yes, you are correct about my submissions. I also see your point on the SS stuff.

28 minutes ago, seanfingh said:

For this reason, I'd like to see the Signature Series forms be available online. Hopefully this is something that CGC is considering in the near future.

On 5/7/2018 at 6:13 PM, Philflound said:

I'm curious as to why you are posting this now. Unless of course you just purchased this on the secondary market. This book was graded in September of 2016, well over a year and half ago and you're mentioning it now. Back then, things slipped by much more than now. 

That would also be an error since I sent it in for grading in Nov 2017 and Received it back at the end of March 2018 when I posted the pic.

I just got back from Sarasota......I dropped of 28 books for Certification......It's quite the Fort Knox over there......Giant Steel Gate at entrance....talk to Guard to get thru...He was a really nice guy who loves Ohio State Buckeyes.....I told him i'm a Northwestern fan and he was very pleasant ....Then had to have him Buzz me into da front office and then they took my picture. There's an armed guard also so they don't fool around....The only problem i had was with the CGC representative who was checking my form of submissions. He kept asking me where was my Avengers 57....now i was submitting a couple of Avenger's comics ...off hand i didn't remember the numbers to all my books so he had me jumping thru hoops looking for this Avengers # 57.  Now i triple checked my submissions so i knew that if it was on my voucher form i was submitting it but he kept telling me it wasn't included in my comics i brought. He had me so confused i was bouncing of the walls. So we just kept checking and this went back and forth for like 10 mins. until finally he figured out i wasn't submitting a Avenger's # 57 but a Tales Of Suspense # 57.  Now no harm no foul but for a few mins. i was semi freaking out like i had brought the wrong comics or something.

p.s. Maybe there hiring a lot of new people and going thru some growing pains...I mean the parking lot was full and they must have a lot of employees .