• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

HA May Auction, lots of great art !
3 3

486 posts in this topic

1 hour ago, Bronty said:

50k hammer?   Good googly moogly.   I'd disagree but you've been good at guessing on these types of pieces before.    

Whatever Fish paid for the cover feels like a pretty good deal right now.    

I’m going to forever regret not only leading Fish to the cover, but also not locking down the deal for the panel page he later snagged($3500 deal was struck, but the seller had second thoughts and yanked it back).

One of the most regrettable missed opportunities of my collecting career...

Edited by RabidFerret

Regarding that Aparo Spectre cover - any reason it's going for a price significantly higher than the other Aparo covers in this auction?  It's a good cover, but I would have thought the Batman presence would have made the other covers worth more - or at least close up the gap a bit... (Granted not Batman in his own title, but still)...

Guys, what gives? I thought we agreed that none of you would bid on the deadpool so that I could lock it away forever so that you would never have to look at that Liefield art again. I know a sacrifice on my part but a noble one I was willing to make.

5 hours ago, RabidFerret said:

I’m going to forever regret not only leading Fish to the cover, but also not locking down the deal for the panel page he later snagged

Hope you got a nice finder's fee at least!

8 hours ago, Flambit said:

Regarding that Aparo Spectre cover - any reason it's going for a price significantly higher than the other Aparo covers in this auction?  It's a good cover, but I would have thought the Batman presence would have made the other covers worth more - or at least close up the gap a bit... (Granted not Batman in his own title, but still)...

My guess on the early action (cuz that's all it is) on the Spectre is some serious price discovery or somebody (more than one?) putting up some serious back the eff off and don't even bother bids. Aparo Spectre, from Adventure specificially is pretty special and a lot of folks have been looking for a long time. But I don't think $15k now translates to $75k live. The early action is in and maybe another $10k goes on from here. My opinion only, of course, and I'm not a bidder already at this level and certainly not a competitor on game day. Meanwhile the more traditional Aparo Batman stuff will catch up live, easily, but because you do see that stuff around there isn't the same "wow!" factor attached nor the same pre-live bidding strategies being employed.

Anyone know what happened to Jim Aparo The Brave and the Bold #188 Page 15?

I had it saved in my bookmarks but it now comes back as Invalid Auction/Lot number.

14 hours ago, vodou said:

My guess on the early action (cuz that's all it is) on the Spectre is some serious price discovery or somebody (more than one?) putting up some serious back the eff off and don't even bother bids. Aparo Spectre, from Adventure specificially is pretty special and a lot of folks have been looking for a long time. But I don't think $15k now translates to $75k live. The early action is in and maybe another $10k goes on from here. My opinion only, of course, and I'm not a bidder already at this level and certainly not a competitor on game day. Meanwhile the more traditional Aparo Batman stuff will catch up live, easily, but because you do see that stuff around there isn't the same "wow!" factor attached nor the same pre-live bidding strategies being employed.

That's always an interesting strategy, as I've had friends who vie for high ticket items tell me, they contribute to bidding items up naturally early in an auction rather than use the abstain to snipe tactic because they feel, if they are willing to pay market value or big dollars, they want to get rid of the tire kickers and fringe buyers where if the price of the piece is high enough leading into the auctions close, ideally a high price scares off bidders to look at other pieces to buy and hopefully reducing the number of contenders towards the end.  I'm not sure if that truly does discourage bidding.  I know for me, when I have Heritage call me for live bidding, if a piece hits a certain level, I tap out and tell 'em "I'm Out" and if there's pieces that are priced beyond what I'm willing to pay, I'll let them know not to call me, and I scour the auction for other things to bid on instead, so, to a degree having a higher price leading to the close might discourage impulse bidding.

9 minutes ago, BeholdersEye said:

That's always an interesting strategy, as I've had friends who vie for high ticket items tell me, they contribute to bidding items up naturally early in an auction rather than use the abstain to snipe tactic because they feel, if they are willing to pay market value or big dollars, they want to get rid of the tire kickers and fringe buyers where if the price of the piece is high enough leading into the auctions close, ideally a high price scares off bidders to look at other pieces to buy and hopefully reducing the number of contenders towards the end.  I'm not sure if that truly does discourage bidding.  I know for me, when I have Heritage call me for live bidding, if a piece hits a certain level, I tap out and tell 'em "I'm Out" and if there's pieces that are priced beyond what I'm willing to pay, I'll let them know not to call me, and I scour the auction for other things to bid on instead, so, to a degree having a higher price leading to the close might discourage impulse bidding.

... all of the above = less (quantity of) emotionally invested bidders during live. Emotion is what puts the extra zero on!

11 minutes ago, vodou said:

... all of the above = less (quantity of) emotionally invested bidders during live. Emotion is what puts the extra zero on!

I know what you mean about emotion, I once lost a series of auctions I wanted to win but simply got outpriced, not even runner up styled, so I ended up bidding on stuff I was marginally interested in an hitting bids for "fun" and winning stuff I'd not planned for 'cuz I didn't want to go home empty handed so to speak.  

7 hours ago, BeholdersEye said:

One of the downsides of this strategy is that a high price can attract buyers even while scaring off the lower-end bidders. It sends a message that there is something special about the piece and it ought to be reevaluated. Look how the high price about the Aparo-Spectre cover has spawned interest. 

I think you have to approach each auction a little differently, and base a strategy upon the innate attractivenss of the piece, timing (early/lateness of the contemplated bid; opening and closing dates times (who is awake at 3 AM EST?), the methodology of the auction house (e.g., fixed deadlines), and comparable items which are or will be available on the market. Budget issues are also a factor, of course, but they ought not effect strategy because no other bidder knows what your budget may be. As a general rule, I stay away from live bidding because it can blow my budget, but even that is not always the case.

2 hours ago, Rick2you2 said:

One of the downsides of this strategy is that a high price can attract buyers even while scaring off the lower-end bidders. It sends a message that there is something special about the piece and it ought to be reevaluated. Look how the high price about the Aparo-Spectre cover has spawned interest.

Your point is not without merit, but my counterpoint would be: how many "oh I just discovered that" folks will be at the top of the five figure feeding frenzy for this cover? I mean actually and really, out to win or even be competitive enough to push the final number up significantly? Probably none. The top two or three bidders at the end will be folks that have known about this cover since it hit HA preview and probably had a very good idea o what it would take to bring it home, who their competitors are, and if they have the stomach to outbid the (or even try to!) The effect you suggest may work when elevating a $50 item to a $500 item, but when it's $15k nearly out of the gate...newly found interest will not, imo, turn $25k (my guess at where this ends) into $75k and certainly not $150k (to use the same 10x multiplier, not that that really means anything one way or the other!)

18 minutes ago, vodou said:

Your point is not without merit, but my counterpoint would be: how many "oh I just discovered that" folks will be at the top of the five figure feeding frenzy for this cover? I mean actually and really, out to win or even be competitive enough to push the final number up significantly? Probably none. The top two or three bidders at the end will be folks that have known about this cover since it hit HA preview and probably had a very good idea o what it would take to bring it home, who their competitors are, and if they have the stomach to outbid the (or even try to!) The effect you suggest may work when elevating a $50 item to a $500 item, but when it's $15k nearly out of the gate...newly found interest will not, imo, turn $25k (my guess at where this ends) into $75k and certainly not $150k (to use the same 10x multiplier, not that that really means anything one way or the other!)

I don't see $150K. Maybe $35-50K. That Aparo run was really special.

We really don't know how many people would be in this prospective bidding pool, but any publicity is likely to attract some interest. Heck, it's not even his best one from that run.

1 hour ago, Rick2you2 said:

I don't see $150K. Maybe $35-50K. That Aparo run was really special.

We really don't know how many people would be in this prospective bidding pool, but any publicity is likely to attract some interest. Heck, it's not even his best one from that run.

Correct, not the best of the run. Do you think the bidding pool is heavy at $50k fmv - for anything in this hobby? I think the pyramid is already quite narrow there. $50k is still a lot of money, even in 2018.

4 hours ago, vodou said:

Correct, not the best of the run. Do you think the bidding pool is heavy at $50k fmv - for anything in this hobby? I think the pyramid is already quite narrow there. $50k is still a lot of money, even in 2018.

I am regularly surprised how much big money is out there for this stuff, so yes, it may very well hit $50K (although, I think the lower end of the $35-50K range is more likely). I would be surprised if it stops at $25K.

They really were considered special--highly controversial due to their violent nature (the Code writers must be rolling over in their graves with some of the new stuff which is out there). Nick may have the best of the bunch on his website.

I never really understood why they were considered so violent. For example, the Spectre turns a bad guy into a piece of wood and has a chain saw cut it up. Okay, but isn't the bad guy dead once he becomes wood? He might as well be cutting up one of those chain saw bear sculptures which dot the landscape around here.