• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

HA May Auction, lots of great art !
3 3

486 posts in this topic

1 hour ago, jjonahjameson11 said:

Some interesting prices bid thus far:

I inserted my thoughts after yours.  You hit on a lot of nice stuff from a diverse group of examples.  I am not bidding on anything this auction, got another big iron In the fire.

I'll take a few complete guesses without looking at any comps:

Xmen 102 -   $100k +BP  (so roughly 120k)

FF25  - I don't like the image.  Depends on whether it being the ff25 splash does it for people.   I'm going to say $50,000 + BP ( roughly 60k) but it could go lower or higher; find this one hard to judge)

Thor 126 - 35k + BP (roughly 42k)

Spidey vs Wolvie page 1.    Hmm.   $4-5k

Edited by Bronty

10 hours ago, Twanj said:

Wow, so the Deadpool page is already at $36k

@RabidFerret, you had a shot at $3500? :(

Different page. I was offered this page for $3500 4 years ago, but the seller had second thoughts and later sold it to Fish when he bought the cover: http://www.comicartfans.com/gallerypiece.asp?piece=1096012

It was a bummer.

Luckily, I already had the Deadpool trading card art from X-Force #1(http://www.comicartfans.com/gallerypiece.asp?piece=620611) which I had more personal nostalgia for, so the tears eventually stopped after a few weeks.

Probably not worth as much though...

early-liefeld-deadpool-appearances.thumb.jpg.cbed76121d9feb66b38d6fd63754051e.jpg

Edited by RabidFerret

18 hours ago, DeadpoolJr. said:

He said it was a different page, the one that Fish has. This is the second best page of the book featuring him with only the one right before where he introduces himself beating it. Even still any page with him in it would indeed be 5 figures now.

I saw the word is out on the availability of this page bring up for auction

https://io9.gizmodo.com/original-art-from-deadpools-first-appearance-is-up-for-1825444679

So, it’ll be interesting to see if this goes underneath the radar a bit among OA collectors or does let’s say a Ryan Reynolds or someone like an investor with a gamblers mentality vies for it.

5 hours ago, BeholdersEye said:

I saw the word is out on the availability of this page bring up for auction

https://io9.gizmodo.com/original-art-from-deadpools-first-appearance-is-up-for-1825444679

So, it’ll be interesting to see if this goes underneath the radar a bit among OA collectors or does let’s say a Ryan Reynolds or someone like an investor with a gamblers mentality vies for it.

Hard to say. I know that Liefeld himself has been talking about the page and giving updates on the price from his Twitter account. For Renolds, I would guess it comes down to if he really is a big fan of the character to that extent. He originally got introduced to the character while Blade was being filmed for reference material from my understanding so even though he does have the money and likes the character, it doesn't mean he has the nostalgia component which often drives people into spending these large sums of money that they knew from their youth. So even though he can probably afford it, it comes down to if he actually thinks it's worth it. You can have the money but not the collectoring mindset whihc is really the thing you need to justify the price and spending.

30 minutes ago, DeadpoolJr. said:

Hard to say. I know that Liefeld himself has been talking about the page and giving updates on the price from his Twitter account. For Renolds, I would guess it comes down to if he really is a big fan of the character to that extent. He originally got introduced to the character while Blade was being filmed for reference material from my understanding so even though he does have the money and likes the character, it doesn't mean he has the nostalgia component which often drives people into spending these large sums of money that they knew from their youth. So even though he can probably afford it, it comes down to if he actually thinks it's worth it. You can have the money but not the collectoring mindset whihc is really the thing you need to justify the price and spending.

I hope Liefeld gets it if he's interested in it to the degree it goes back home to the artist.

I saw this other internet article about the page too:

http://comicbook.com/marvel/2018/04/21/deadpool-first-appearance-art-up-for-auction-/

So, I hope Liefeld puts a definitive nail in the coffin to seal the deal and acquire it at a good price for him.

A friend of mine tapped out at $7k, so I think there's a large population of collectors who want it, would love to have it, but are out-priced at this point.  But, when you look at historical precedent of what Marvel super-hero panel pages have sold for, it's not unreasonable to anticipate higher bidding on the Deadpool piece possibly. 

That's why my original inquiry of the "over/under at $50k" was trying to figure the FMV of the piece based on the opinion of collectors here, who seem to have a good finger on the pulse of the hobby.

3 hours ago, BeholdersEye said:

I hope Liefeld gets it if he's interested in it to the degree it goes back home to the artist.

I saw this other internet article about the page too:

http://comicbook.com/marvel/2018/04/21/deadpool-first-appearance-art-up-for-auction-/

So, I hope Liefeld puts a definitive nail in the coffin to seal the deal and acquire it at a good price for him.

A friend of mine tapped out at $7k, so I think there's a large population of collectors who want it, would love to have it, but are out-priced at this point.  But, when you look at historical precedent of what Marvel super-hero panel pages have sold for, it's not unreasonable to anticipate higher bidding on the Deadpool piece possibly. 

That's why my original inquiry of the "over/under at $50k" was trying to figure the FMV of the piece based on the opinion of collectors here, who seem to have a good finger on the pulse of the hobby.

As someone who collects a lot of prime era Liefeld art I've been surprised at the bidding so far. I expected it to be strong, but figured it'd hammer for $25k or less.

The page has already become the most expensive Liefeld ever listed on Heritage, passing the NM93 cover McFarlane inked by 50%. The only other DP art to have sold recently in public were XF2 & XF5 pages that hit $3-4k.

The idea that this would've hit $50k seemed laughable to me 2 weeks ago. Now, I have no idea where it will end. It wouldn't surprise me to see it fly to $100k or never get another bid. It seems completely untethered from reality:)

So the idea of FMV is out the window I think. This is going well above 'fair':)

Part 2 of interesting prices bid thus far, with focus on the $10K-$20K segment:

Edited by jjonahjameson11

Just a heads up re: the Riddler Dark Victory cover. I know the original owner, who traded away two Dark Victory covers to Cool Lines for a Cap White splash (and also paid shipping both ways...lol), and the piece did not have stats on it. I inquired with HA and they confirmed it is not an overlay, but directly adhered to the art. They updated the description recently to reflect this.

I hadn't realized Cool Lines was adhering printed-out stats to the art; is this true of all their art? If so, I'll be sure to keep this in mind as that's a deal-breaker for me.

https://comics.ha.com/itm/original-comic-art/covers/tim-sale-batman-dark-victory-2-original-cover-art-dc-2000-/a/7187-93253.s?type=bidnotice-tracked-dailystatus

Edited by Mr. Machismo

9 minutes ago, Mr. Machismo said:

Just a heads up re: the Riddler Dark Victory cover. I know the original owner, who traded away two Dark Victory covers to Cool Lines for a Cap White splash (and also paid shipping both ways...lol), and the piece did not have stats on it. I inquired with HA and they confirmed it is not an overlay, but directly adhered to the art. They updated the description recently to reflect this.

I hadn't realized Cool Lines was adhering printed-out stats to the art; is this true of all their art? If so, I'll be sure to keep this in mind as that's a deal-breaker for me.

https://comics.ha.com/itm/original-comic-art/covers/tim-sale-batman-dark-victory-2-original-cover-art-dc-2000-/a/7187-93253.s?type=bidnotice-tracked-dailystatus

Yes, Cool Lines for a while now has been known to be adding stats to pieces and not just overlays to art pieces. Even doing it to unpublished pieces and other things they can pass off as covers. When this has come up on the boards it has been widely agreed upon to be damaging to the art.

20 hours ago, Mr. Machismo said:

Yes, unfortunately they did it to this Ron Lim page too :facepalm:

Basically it's ruined now and needs to be restored.

"The Marvel logo, "Preview", and Infinity War logo are all modern-day printed paste-ups affixed directly to the art page. "

https://comics.ha.com/itm/original-comic-art/ron-lim-infinity-war-illustration-original-art-marvel-1992-/a/7187-93194.s?ic4=GalleryView-Thumbnail-071515

Edited by Twanj

30 minutes ago, Mephisto said:

I wonder if it's too late to ask for another edit:

Colin MacNeil Conan the Barbarian #275 Cover Original Art (Marvel, 1993). The cover for the very last issue of Conan's long-running series was titled "The End!" The usually fierce barbarian-turned-King looks rather sad about this. A wonderful piece of art created in ink over blue pencil on bright white Marvel Bristol board with an image area of 9.75" x 15". Signed by MacNeil in the lower right of the image area. The final cover was actually painted from this piece. This is the black and white line art. After the fact, someone (who may be named Steve) has added low-res printed paste-ups of the corner box, logo, and title, affixed directly to the art page. In Very Good condition.

10 minutes ago, Pete Marino said:

I wonder if it's too late to ask for another edit:

Colin MacNeil Conan the Barbarian #275 Cover Original Art (Marvel, 1993). The cover for the very last issue of Conan's long-running series was titled "The End!" The usually fierce barbarian-turned-King looks rather sad about this. A wonderful piece of art created in ink over blue pencil on bright white Marvel Bristol board with an image area of 9.75" x 15". Signed by MacNeil in the lower right of the image area. The final cover was actually painted from this piece. This is the black and white line art. After the fact, someone (who may be named Steve) has added low-res printed paste-ups of the corner box, logo, and title, affixed directly to the art page. In Very Good condition.

Uh huh. So this is actually just an unpublished preliminary - lol

On 2018-04-21 at 7:15 PM, jjonahjameson11 said:

Some interesting prices bid thus far:

Whoa boy, the Infantino Spiderwoman cover jumped to $17K!  :golfclap:

The Marie Severin Marvel Super Heroes #21 looks a little wonky, too. The placement of the logo, Comics code stamp and sidebar don't match the original cover.  Is that a comics code stamp peeking out behind a replacement stat that isn't properly placed? Thor and the Hulk overlap the title logo differently than the published piece.  Not to mention Hulk's elbow on the sidebar.
It appears the outline of Thor's cape and Hulk's right shoulder and thumb (over the "H" and "E" in HEROES) have been trimmed away.
So some line-work was lost in translation?  That would be a shame.

msh21.jpg.9eba746a96a772116423ca64b99de72c.jpg 673399.jpg.c07be3f0fbef235555b300993adda901.jpg

Edited by Unca Ben