• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

HA May Auction, lots of great art !
3 3

486 posts in this topic

5 hours ago, Flambit said:

Wow!  Is it because it's 15 cent silver age cover?  

I mean, just a couple of auction cycles ago, there was a Captain America cover on HA by Kirby, no less, and it only went for 24k with juice - and that was only 1976...  

No way this cover could go *that* much higher, right...?

My prediction is that the cover is done here.  Somebody who really wanted it for nostalgic reasons probably just accelerated the price discovery on it up to his max and then decided to move on when his main competitor threw back a handful of krazy pills and topped him.

I guess we'll find out soon enough. :popcorn:

So todays lots that are interesting to me...

I am curious to see what a Nice ASM 90's Bagley cover is worth.

The Superman #204 cover is absolutely gorgeous, but Superman has become a second tier character when it comes to art prices. Big price based on it being "iconic" or does Superman still not sell?

The Kirby FF Dr. Doom/Human Torch half splash is probably my favorite piece in the auction. I could stare at it for hours.

UXM #248 cover, historically significant, but not even close to the best Jim Lee X-Men piece. I think it being his first cover leads to a big price.

The Batman #488 cover is incredibly ugly and no Batman, I can't believe someone is willing to pay the price it is already at.

The Alex Ross Marvels splash is mind blowing.

The Jim Starling Thanos piece seems low to me for what it is. A lot a live bids coming?

10 hours ago, stinkininkin said:

Palmer's prime for me was late 60's to early 70's.  Im not into that late run 80's Buscema/Palmer Avengers at all, but that's just subjective on my part.

I agree that fully prime Palmer ended in the 70s.  I thought his work with JB on their second Avengers run, while not nearly the same as their first run and not as consistently good, still had some nice work at times which was reminiscent of their first run--so to me Palmer still had flashes of his prime during that run, just not consistently. 

Once the book was turned over to Paul Ryan and then later Steve Epting, I though there was a much bigger drop off in the perceived quality of Palmer's work inking Ryan and Epting (maybe it wasn't all Palmer of course but the combination of Ryan/Palmer and Epting/Palmer). 

13 minutes ago, Ironmandrd said:

I agree that fully prime Palmer ended in the 70s.  I thought his work with JB on their second Avengers run, while not nearly the same as their first run and not as consistently good, still had some nice work at times which was reminiscent of their first run--so to me Palmer still had flashes of his prime during that run, just not consistently. 

Once the book was turned over to Paul Ryan and then later Steve Epting, I though there was a much bigger drop off in the perceived quality of Palmer's work inking Ryan and Epting (maybe it wasn't all Palmer of course but the combination of Ryan/Palmer and Epting/Palmer). 

Agreed.  And to be fair to Palmer, that later period was not exactly the prime John Buscema era either.  Inkers can only do so much.

Edited by stinkininkin

its running live, with an auctioneer

Results so far.   52k on that Aparo cover... spicy.

lf?set=path%5B1%2F7%2F4%2F4%2F3%2F17443592%5D%2Csizedata%5B50x50%5D&call=url%5Bfile%3Aproduct.chain%5D 91004 Jim Aparo Adventure Comics #440 Spectre Cover Original... $52,580.00 Sold to HA.com/Live
lf?set=path%5B1%2F7%2F8%2F5%2F4%2F17854129%5D%2Csizedata%5B50x50%5D&call=url%5Bfile%3Aproduct.chain%5D 91003 Murphy Anderson Justice League of America #17 Cover... $59,750.00 Sold to HA.com/Live
lf?set=path%5B1%2F7%2F3%2F0%2F1%2F17301503%5D%2Csizedata%5B50x50%5D&call=url%5Bfile%3Aproduct.chain%5D 91002 Neal Adams and Giordano Batman: Stacked Cards... $31,070.00 Sold to HA.com/Live
lf?set=path%5B1%2F7%2F3%2F8%2F4%2F17384819%5D%2Csizedata%5B50x50%5D&call=url%5Bfile%3Aproduct.chain%5D 91001 Neal Adams Superman's Pal, Jimmy Olsen #148 Cover Original... $19,120.00 Sold to Internet
Edited by Bronty

3 minutes ago, Bronty said:

its running live, with an auctioneer

Results so far.   52k on that Aparo cover... spicy.

lf?set=path%5B1%2F7%2F4%2F4%2F3%2F17443592%5D%2Csizedata%5B50x50%5D&call=url%5Bfile%3Aproduct.chain%5D 91004 Jim Aparo Adventure Comics #440 Spectre Cover Original... $52,580.00 Sold to HA.com/Live
lf?set=path%5B1%2F7%2F8%2F5%2F4%2F17854129%5D%2Csizedata%5B50x50%5D&call=url%5Bfile%3Aproduct.chain%5D 91003 Murphy Anderson Justice League of America #17 Cover... $59,750.00 Sold to HA.com/Live
lf?set=path%5B1%2F7%2F3%2F0%2F1%2F17301503%5D%2Csizedata%5B50x50%5D&call=url%5Bfile%3Aproduct.chain%5D 91002 Neal Adams and Giordano Batman: Stacked Cards... $31,070.00 Sold to HA.com/Live
lf?set=path%5B1%2F7%2F3%2F8%2F4%2F17384819%5D%2Csizedata%5B50x50%5D&call=url%5Bfile%3Aproduct.chain%5D 91001 Neal Adams Superman's Pal, Jimmy Olsen #148 Cover Original... $19,120.00 Sold to Internet

Odd. All I hear on HA Live is the computer voice with the stock picture of the auctioneer. Maybe I am confusing these with PIH where you see the actual guy running the auction.

whoah, 13k for that Bagley!

You are not confusing anything.   I can see a live video feed of the auctioneer.    I would suggest restarting your heritage window

4 minutes ago, cstojano said:

Ironic watching a new Frazetta record getting set on today of all days. Crazy

1.5 million, 1.79 with BP.

what the effing eff.   

Just now, cstojano said:

Too high? Puts DD1 in the 8 figure range I would think, will be sticking with my lithograph of that one I guess.

For my tastes, that's extremely high for that painting.    But, someone is happy so good for them.

My comments via Instant Messenger to a friend before and during the Frazetta bidding (some comments redacted to make this less offensive than it already is):

- If Death Dealer gets any more bids, I'm going to break s***

- NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO

- FFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSS

- OH HELL NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO

- HOW [censored] STUPID ARE PEOPLE

- OMFG

- FFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFF[censored]

- MOAR!!!

- HOLY HELL

- NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO MAKE IT STOP

- MAKE IT STOP