• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

HA May Auction, lots of great art !
3 3

486 posts in this topic

5 hours ago, oldwhy said:

Apologies if this has been discussed already, but is it possible that there are a lot of Donnelly covers in this auction? A lot of the lower tier covers seem to have "modern stats". No biggie, just curious. 

Yeah, it's funny you should mention that.  I was just looking at some of the covers in the later sessions, and I had that exact same question.  Makes me a bit hesitant to bid.

Mike

7 hours ago, delekkerste said:

I think DD 4 was around that price, and DD 2 a little more than that, but DD 1 I believe was at least $4 million, if not more. 

DD1 was offered at 4.2. Seems fair after this result as it is about 20 times cooler than the one sold today.

8 hours ago, delekkerste said:

My comments via Instant Messenger to a friend before and during the Frazetta bidding (some comments redacted to make this less offensive than it already is):

- If Death Dealer gets any more bids, I'm going to break s***

- NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO

- FFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSS

- OH HELL NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO

- HOW [censored] STUPID ARE PEOPLE

- OMFG

- FFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFF[censored]

- MOAR!!!

- HOLY HELL

- NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO MAKE IT STOP

- MAKE IT STOP

My thoughts were along the lines of "Awesome! What can I get for mine?"

5 hours ago, cmzare said:

I am the sucker who got the Batman Hush double page spread.  Yes, I love batmobiles.  Yes, Batman and Nightwing appear submicroscopic (hey, it's still 2 for 1).  This is going on my wall with my Rob Liefeld collection of muscular superheroes with one too many pockets.

In all seriousness, I like the piece a lot.  I bid what I felt comfortable with :)

It’s a great Nightwing DPS. The Batmobiles provide a nice setting for him.

Congrats. 

8 hours ago, delekkerste said:

Yes, it's a big number.  Top [some fraction of] 1% for sure.  

I was the underbidder on the only piece I had any interest in (the unpublished Cap #125 cover).  If I was in a non-HA sales tax state, I would have bid it up another couple of increments, but, couldn't justify it with the tax. :frown:

Unpublished illustration art is basically just mediocre art.

6 hours ago, Bronty said:

Wow on the comics side Startlling 49 9.6 went for 1/2 what the mile high 9.6 went for.   Return to reality on that one.

Not surprising.  It was never a 6 figure book, even the Church copy.  Plus, there is a rumor that there is a copy (from another pedigree) that is even nicer than the Church copy.

6 hours ago, Bronty said:

All anyone living outside the US hears is when you guys complain is     blahblahblah:ohnoez:     

It could be worse, trust us ;)

I live outside the US and don't feel any pain (except for higher shipping costs). (shrug)

1 hour ago, Rick2you2 said:

The Aparo Spectre cover went for 44k plus BP for a total of over 50k. I thought it would go in the 35 to 50k range but nearer the low end. Others expected 25k.

Really strong price.

That one caused me to use two pairs of depends.

23 minutes ago, tth2 said:

I live outside the US and don't feel any pain (except for higher shipping costs). (shrug)

You live in a low tax jurisdiction, no sales tax or duty on international purchases like other places!

Malvin

44 minutes ago, tth2 said:

Not surprising.  It was never a 6 figure book, even the Church copy.  Plus, there is a rumor that there is a copy (from another pedigree) that is even nicer than the Church copy.

Agreed

19 minutes ago, malvin said:

You live in a low tax jurisdiction, no sales tax or duty on international purchases like other places!

Malvin

Plus IIRC a flat rate rate of tax and no tax on capital gains.    Weird azz March 31 tax year though

Edited by Bronty

49 minutes ago, tth2 said:

Unpublished illustration art is basically just mediocre art.

That’s far too sweeping a generalization but unpublished is certainly a huge knock on a piece.    Huge. 

1 hour ago, Bronty said:

That’s far too sweeping a generalization but unpublished is certainly a huge knock on a piece.    Huge. 

I agree. In this case The unpublished Cap 125 Cover is better than the published one. Someone got a good deal.

10 hours ago, Bronty said:

Wow on the comics side Startlling 49 9.6 went for 1/2 what the mile high 9.6 went for.   Return to reality on that one.

That "reality" is still far more than the going rate prior to the sale of the Church copy.  It's in elite company for a book known just for it's well-liked cover.

7 hours ago, batman_fan said:

That one caused me to use two pairs of depends.

Lee had mentioned that sometimes, a lot of pieces by the same artist leads bidding to heat up instead go lower due to the large number of pieces.

I really do like Aparo, I own some of it. But that cover wasn't terrific even if it was from a famous run.  

12 hours ago, MGS said:

Yeah, it's funny you should mention that.  I was just looking at some of the covers in the later sessions, and I had that exact same question.  Makes me a bit hesitant to bid.

Mike

I have a bit of inside info on one of those covers. So, I feel comfortable with it.

6 hours ago, Matches_Malone said:

I agree. In this case The unpublished Cap 125 Cover is better than the published one. Someone got a good deal.

I think it went for what it should have, all things considered.  If it was published, $25-30K I think would have been very justified given the quality of the image.  Unpublished, I think $15K-ish was about where it should have been (ended at $14.9K w/BP).   

I was watching the bidding live online and it seemed like the auctioneer coaxed that final bid out of the buyer after my $12,002 (hammer) max bid was uncovered; I'm pretty sure one more increment on my part would have re-taken the lead and won it.  The sales tax killed it for me, though, as it would have brought the price to about $17K factoring in tax and shipping...couldn't justify that for an unpublished piece that isn't really in my collecting wheelhouse (just really liked the image and appreciate its history, even if it wasn't used). 

26 minutes ago, delekkerste said:

I think it went for what it should have, all things considered.  If it was published, $25-30K I think would have been very justified given the quality of the image.  Unpublished, I think $15K-ish was about where it should have been (ended at $14.9K w/BP).   

I was watching the bidding live online and it seemed like the auctioneer coaxed that final bid out of the buyer after my $12,002 (hammer) max bid was uncovered; I'm pretty sure one more increment on my part would have re-taken the lead and won it.  The sales tax killed it for me, though, as it would have brought the price to about $17K factoring in tax and shipping...couldn't justify that for an unpublished piece that isn't really in my collecting wheelhouse (just really liked the image and appreciate its history, even if it wasn't used). 

I won that unused Cap #125. The auctioneer did not coax my last bid but having bid $12K I was not about to lose it for $2. So I went with the cut bid.  But you are right had you gone for the $13K I would have been out. I understand the rational that published covers go for more than unpublished ones, but the truth is I much preferred the unpublished Cap #125 to the published Cap #132 and way more than the published Cap #125.