• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

HA May Auction, lots of great art !
3 3

486 posts in this topic

4 hours ago, Unca Ben said:

The Marie Severin Marvel Super Heroes #21 looks a little wonky, too. The placement of the logo, Comics code stamp and sidebar don't match the original cover.  Is that a comics code stamp peeking out behind a replacement stat that isn't properly placed? Thor and the Hulk overlap the title logo differently than the published piece.  Not to mention Hulk's elbow on the sidebar.
It appears the outline of Thor's cape and Hulk's right shoulder and thumb (over the "H" and "E" in HEROES) have been trimmed away.
So some line-work was lost in translation?  That would be a shame.

msh21.jpg.9eba746a96a772116423ca64b99de72c.jpg 673399.jpg.c07be3f0fbef235555b300993adda901.jpg

Heritage isn't eBay. Perhaps it ought to be notified that something seems wrong. Same with the Coollines piece.

As far as the Marvel Super-Heroes #21 goes, they have made it clear in the description that all the trade dress is modern replacement.

"Created in ink over graphite and blue pencil on Bristol board with an image area of 10.5" x 15.5". All sidebar, corner box, and logo stats are modern day replacements, as is the text in the center of the image. There is a bit of production whiteout art correction on Giant-Man's leg. The lightly toned board is signed in the lower margin by Marie Severin and Marvel's Editor-in-Chief at the time Stan Lee. In Excellent condition."

It is what it is, and some buyers will cringe.  But it appears to be the original production art, as opposed to a later recreation.  David.

20 hours ago, jjonahjameson11 said:

Whoa boy, the Infantino Spiderwoman cover jumped to $17K!  :golfclap:

Wow, seems like a lot for a Spider-woman cover.  I know all vintage Spider-woman art seems to end up with that one guy on CAF.  Maybe people have to pay up to try to outbid that guy?

The 3 auction catalogs arrived in the mail today from Heritage. 

Each one has a sticker price of $50. Are there people here who buy these catalogs for that price?

Not that I am going to pay $50 a pop but I’m glad that they send them out. I know not everyone is a fan of the catalogs but I like seeing them. One of them even has a fancy 3D cover. 

2 hours ago, vodou said:

I'm thinking they need to sell just "one" to legitimize msrp as a tax deduction all the rest they comp out.

I love the creativity, but that is very much not the way it works... they can deduct the costs to produce the catalog.   No more, no less.

Edited by Bronty

9 hours ago, Bronty said:

I love the creativity, but that is very much not the way it works... they can deduct the costs to produce the catalog.   No more, no less.

You are absolutely correct. I posted before I really thought it out. I was trying to fit a conclusion back into a theory, that can be difficult. The conclusion being: and that's why they "cover price" each catalog $50. The why? remains, though I'll take another stab: to dissuade flipping. If the cover price is so high, realistically one can only flip it for less which is contrary to the general collectibles model of -  "it's sold out, now you gotta pay face+". Maybe the same reason again to dissuade employee theft? $50s add up quicker than cost to produce when moving from one level of theft of to the next.

"Class A" misdemeanor: $500 or more, but less than $1,500. State jail felony: $1,500 or more, but less than $20,000. Third degree felony: $20,000 or more, but less than $100,000. Second degree felony: $100,000 or more, but less than $200,000.

or...?????? I dunno.

15 hours ago, Bill C said:

There has to be something unhealthy about hoarding art from one particular series.

:baiting:

To be clear, I wasn't criticizing anyone.  I was just surprised at the pricing so far on the Spider-woman cover, and wondering if prices are higher than expected due to a strong focus collector active in the market.

On ‎4‎/‎21‎/‎2018 at 7:15 PM, jjonahjameson11 said:

Some interesting prices bid thus far:

So platinum night auctions end a week today, with the others closing Friday and Saturday May 11 & 12, respectively, and I thought it would be fun to see how the bidding has progressed on the lots noted above from my April 21st post.  The bids in black are as at April 21; current bid amount in red font for ease of reference.

Looks like its still too early for most major moves, but the Infantino Spider-Woman cover took a healthy leap, as did the Kieth MCP cover and same can be said for the Sienkiewicz Moon Knight cover.  By the way, anyone think the Sienk cover will crack $25K?

Percentage-wise, the Maneely Kid Colt cover doubled, and the Mark Bright Spidey vs Wolvie splash has quadrupled from its slow start. \

Based on previous sales, this Miller Wolvie splash still has quite a bit of room to move upwards.  Curious to see if it will hit $15K this time around.

On ‎4‎/‎22‎/‎2018 at 7:37 PM, jjonahjameson11 said:

Part 2 of interesting prices bid thus far, with focus on the $10K-$20K segment:

So, part two of some interesting pieces, with about a week to go before live bidding for the Thurs and Fri auction lots.  Current bids in red font for ease of reference.

Very little movement here compared to the previous watched lots, but still a lot of room for bids to go up.  If not, then some folks will be getting some sweet deals!

On 3/31/2018 at 11:29 AM, batman_fan said:

Tons of great stuff coming

Calvin and Hobbs 

Tons of Daredevil OA

Nice group of Peanuts, a couple from the previous auction hm

Two SA Spiderman covers :whatthe:

X-men 1 page

Brunner Dr Strange splash

Kirby FF pages with great action!

Two SA Captain America covers

There’s about 2 dozen Infinity Gauntlet Pages as well. Some really nice ones. And a couple of covers I am tracking that are not hot sellers normally, but are interesting to me. 

Edited by PhilipB2k17

13 minutes ago, jjonahjameson11 said:

...and same can be said for the Sienkiewicz Moon Knight cover.  By the way, anyone think the Sienk cover will crack $25K?

$25k sounds really high to me, but then so does $17k and we're already there. Anybody care to post a private all-cash high for a late Sinky MK cover?

18 hours ago, vodou said:

$25k sounds really high to me, but then so does $17k and we're already there. Anybody care to post a private all-cash high for a late Sinky MK cover?

You can have the Infantino Spiderwoman or the Sienk Moon Knight cover, both currently at $17K

29 minutes ago, PhilipB2k17 said:

The bid on Frazetta's Death Dealer 6 painting has hit $600,000. Any guesses on where it ends up? I say $1.2 mil.

https://comics.ha.com/itm/original-comic-art/paintings/frank-frazetta-death-dealer-6-painting-original-art-1990-/a/7187-91016.s?ic5=Home-FeaturedItems-071515

In terms of execution it should end below ATEC, but it likely won't given the character. This must be a barometer for others in the lineup. Regardless of the end price, what multiple does one apply from DD6 to DD1?? If this breaks 1m does that make the DD1 painting alone 5m (I understand rights are being wrapped into that painting, which complicates pricing). Hakes is bringout out two Blazing Combat covers as well, very different vibe but awesome nonetheless.