• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

HA May Auction, lots of great art !
3 3

486 posts in this topic

8 hours ago, Thawk said:

I was surprised at how low the Superman 204 cover went.  I thought that'd clear $50k as it's probably the most recognized Superman cover in the last 20 years maybe even 30 with the exception of the Death of Superman book.

I know that it's a hot market, but, $38.2K still seems like a very healthy number for that cover IMO.  

10 hours ago, Thawk said:

I was surprised at how low the Superman 204 cover went.  I thought that'd clear $50k as it's probably the most recognized Superman cover in the last 20 years maybe even 30 with the exception of the Death of Superman book.

To quote Caddyshack, that piece has been "Plucked more times than the Rose of Tralee"

Edit: Scott said it hasn't been offered before....and he'd know better than almost anyone.

That piece looks so familiar I was almost positive I've seen it change hands and/or be shopped for sale multiple times in the last several years. 

$38k is a healthy number given where it would have been 18-24 months ago.

Edited by comix4fun

26 minutes ago, hmendryk said:

I won that unused Cap #125. The auctioneer did not coax my last bid but having bid $12K I was not about to lose it for $2. So I went with the cut bid.  But you are right had you gone for the $13K I would have been out. I understand the rational that published covers go for more than unpublished ones, but the truth is I much preferred the unpublished Cap #125 to the published Cap #132 and way more than the published Cap #125.

The artwork on that Cap 125 unpubbed you won is vastly superior to the #132 that went right after it for multiples of what you paid. The 125 is a really nice piece. Congrats.

26 minutes ago, hmendryk said:

I won that unused Cap #125. The auctioneer did not coax my last bid but having bid $12K I was not about to lose it for $2. So I went with the cut bid.  But you are right had you gone for the $13K I would have been out. I understand the rational that published covers go for more than unpublished ones, but the truth is I much preferred the unpublished Cap #125 to the published Cap #132 and way more than the published Cap #125.

Congrats Harry! It's a great cover.

I think you're a bad influence on me. Watching you go makes me want to go out & buy more art!

1 hour ago, delekkerste said:

I think it went for what it should have, all things considered.  If it was published, $25-30K I think would have been very justified given the quality of the image.  Unpublished, I think $15K-ish was about where it should have been (ended at $14.9K w/BP).   

I was watching the bidding live online and it seemed like the auctioneer coaxed that final bid out of the buyer after my $12,002 (hammer) max bid was uncovered; I'm pretty sure one more increment on my part would have re-taken the lead and won it.  The sales tax killed it for me, though, as it would have brought the price to about $17K factoring in tax and shipping...couldn't justify that for an unpublished piece that isn't really in my collecting wheelhouse (just really liked the image and appreciate its history, even if it wasn't used). 

Actually, I was in the room, and the pause in bidding was the laughter that the last two bids (on $12k bid level) were only $2 apart. Just as I turned and noted "Man, it would suck to lose this piece by $2"....the cut bid was placed. 

7 minutes ago, comix4fun said:

Actually, I was in the room, and the pause in bidding was the laughter that the last two bids (on $12k bid level) were only $2 apart. Just as I turned and noted "Man, it would suck to lose this piece by $2"....the cut bid was placed. 

What was the buzz in the room when the Frazetta painting hammered? 

9 minutes ago, comix4fun said:

Between the pause and the cut, I was pretty sure that the winner was out of ammo with that last cut bid (now confirmed).  But, I just couldn't justify going up another half-increment on something that wasn't really a must-have for me. :frown:

Congrats to HM though on winning the piece!  It is super nice. (thumbsu

I won the Adams/Giordano Batman-Joker cover.  Considering the awesome splash from that “issue” recently went for 13k I wasn’t overly surprised with what I had to pay - despite the fact that the book isn’t part of true Batman continuity.

70s Joker is a huge focus of my “collecting wheelhouse” - I had won the Infantino Joker pin up a couple years ago that I remembered so fondly (ex Mego) - really my ultimate Joker “grail” - but had wanted an Adams Joker page for a long, long time.

When the page appeared in the Heritage Platinum mailer card a couple months ago - an Adams Joker cover! - my eyes popped out of my head and I knew it was going to be a tough fight for anyone trying to keep it from me ;)

I love everything about this cover - the black background, large Batman and Robin figures, the oversized Joker head - I’m absolutely thrilled.  I honestly could care less about Batman continuity on this - it’s getting framed and placed on my Joker wall where it will remain forever.

And at least I didn’t have to pay $1,700,000 :)

10 hours ago, malvin said:
11 hours ago, tth2 said:

I live outside the US and don't feel any pain (except for higher shipping costs). (shrug)

You live in a low tax jurisdiction, no sales tax or duty on international purchases like other places!

Malvin

Yes I do. :cloud9:

7 minutes ago, Verbow said:

I won the Adams/Giordano Batman-Joker cover.  Considering the awesome splash from that “issue” recently went for 13k I wasn’t overly surprised with what I had to pay - despite the fact that the book isn’t part of true Batman continuity.

Congrats! (thumbsu

I think people are more willing to look at non-continuity covers these days by "main run" artists given that the prices on good/great main run examples have gotten so pricey.  Just look at the Romita/Sinnott Spider-Man toothpaste promo cover that sold for $22.1K yesterday.  A friend of mine was just commenting to me the other day on the (high) prices on some of the Spidey Super Stories covers, which I also chalked up to the aforementioned phenomenon.  

Edited by delekkerste

11 minutes ago, Verbow said:

70s Joker is a huge focus of my “collecting wheelhouse” - I had won the Infantino Joker pin up a couple years ago that I remembered so fondly (ex Mego) - really my ultimate Joker “grail” - but had wanted an Adams Joker page for a long, long time.

That piece is gorgeous!! Congrats. Watching the bidding all I kept thinking was.." If this was a cover from the flagship 'Batman' title it would hammer for three times the price." So I think it was well bought. For a Batman, Robin, Joker piece that striking I think you're going to be happy with that for a long time.

42 minutes ago, comix4fun said:

To quote Caddyshack, that piece has been "Plucked more times than the Rose of Tralee". 

That piece looks so familiar I am almost positive I've seen it change hands and/or be shopped for sale multiple times in the last several years. 

$38k is a healthy number given where it would have been 18-24 months ago.

Nope.  There's only been one owner of this up until yesterday.  It's been buried for 15 years.

Edited by stinkininkin

10 minutes ago, comix4fun said:

That piece is gorgeous!! Congrats. Watching the bidding all I kept thinking was.." If this was a cover from the flagship 'Batman' title it would hammer for three times the price." So I think it was well bought. For a Batman, Robin, Joker piece that striking I think you're going to be happy with that for a long time.

18 minutes ago, delekkerste said:

Congrats! (thumbsu

I think people are more willing to look at non-continuity covers these days by "main run" artists given that the prices on good/great main run examples have gotten so pricey.  Just look at the Romita/Sinnott Spider-Man toothpaste promo cover that sold for $22.1K yesterday.  A friend of mine was just commenting to me the other day on the (high) prices on some of the Spidey Super Stories covers, which I also chalked up to the aforementioned phenomenon.  

Thanks!  Yeah, the lack of continuity actually worked to my advantage  - content and artists are king for me here - and the price would have been crazy had this been a Detective or Batman book.  

Edited by Verbow

5 minutes ago, stinkininkin said:

Nope.  There's only been one owner of this up until yesterday.  It's been buried for 15 years.

Has there been another Lee Superman image that looks a lot like this out there? I've seen this pose on CAF, perhaps it was an internal splash. I know I've been emailed a few times by a european collector who offered a Lee Superman image like this a few times in the last five years. 

Dammit, now I have to track down what that piece was. 

2 hours ago, comix4fun said:

Has there been another Lee Superman image that looks a lot like this out there? I've seen this pose on CAF, perhaps it was an internal splash. I know I've been emailed a few times by a european collector who offered a Lee Superman image like this a few times in the last five years. 

Dammit, now I have to track down what that piece was. 

Not sure what you were offered that looks like this.  Curious too.  The Supes 204 was purposely done as a mirror image of the Batman 608 Hush cover, so other than that, there haven't been any other duplications that I know of.

Edited by stinkininkin

Query: Given what happened in the Infinity War movie, and the MCU, is this page significantly undervalued?

https://comics.ha.com/itm/original-comic-art/angel-medina-and-bob-almond-warlock-and-the-infinity-watch-9-page-14-original-art-marvel-1992-/a/7187-94662.s?ic4=GalleryView-Thumbnail-071515

Also, what do we think of this item: Dave Gibbon's cover for the Black Freighter prop comic used in the Watchmen film? Seems like this is also currently not tracking for a high price.

https://comics.ha.com/itm/original-comic-art/dave-gibbons-watchmen-movie-tales-of-the-black-freighter-prop-comic-cover-original-art-dc-warner-br/a/7187-94564.s?ic4=GalleryView-Thumbnail-071515

Edited by PhilipB2k17

1 hour ago, PhilipB2k17 said:

Good spot, although I value it more for Angel's art :x

Edited by Dick O.