• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

HA May Auction, lots of great art !
3 3

486 posts in this topic

6 hours ago, comix4fun said:

$40k for an extremely shaky handed 1992 peanuts DAILY!!

That's insane.  The 1959 Sunday was a screaming bargain in comparison.

Dark Victory Riddler Cover...holy cow!!! $7200?

Ugh. A friend traded that and the Calendar Man cover to the Donnelly’s for a Cap White splash (I didn’t know until it was too late.) And that’s with them *pasting* on their own stats. 

If I can be blunt, something about that image is just off.   I want to like it as I like Amano but it’s just awkward.    

IMO if it was a more successful image it would have gone for a lot more money.   I considered it myself but couldn’t bring myself to try for a piece that didn’t look right

Maybe he bought the one of the $5k stories from 2013? (shrug)  There was an ASM complete story and a Wolverine one both were in the low to mid $5k range. I don't know which issues he bought in particular. 

I was going by what he said:

1. They were Spidey complete stories so that eliminates the Wolverine reference, Chris

2.  They were “much better”, which is in the eye of the beholder, but still, the two complete issues from 2012 are the ones I believe he is referencing

6 hours ago, Mr. Machismo said:

Ugh. A friend traded that and the Calendar Man cover to the Donnelly’s for a Cap White splash (I didn’t know until it was too late.) And that’s with them *pasting* on their own stats. 

Ugh. Friends don't let friends trade to the Donnelly's. If its any satisfaction, the auction payout on this piece is likely WAY lower than what their asking price a month ago.  

38 minutes ago, Sideshow Bob said:

Ugh. Friends don't let friends trade to the Donnelly's. If its any satisfaction, the auction payout on this piece is likely WAY lower than what their asking price a month ago.

:whee:

4 hours ago, jjonahjameson11 said:

I was going by what he said:

1. They were Spidey complete stories so that eliminates the Wolverine reference, Chris

2.  They were “much better”, which is in the eye of the beholder, but still, the two complete issues from 2012 are the ones I believe he is referencing

I knew he said Spidey stories which is why I mentioned he may have bought one of the two $5k JRJR stories from 2013, since one of them is a Spidey. 

The 2013 Spidey story that sold for $5400 had more than double the amount of Spidey in costume pages as the one that just sold, including fight pages and a dps. 

I looked at the current story that sold for, basically, a thousand per page with taxes and shipping and after seeing page after page with no Spider-man costume on it I am wondering where that sale price came from.

3 hours ago, PhilipB2k17 said:

So what piece did the Donnelly’s buy that they are paying off with all these consignments? Any guesses? 

Stupid question but there is no doubt the Donnelly's are consigning, but what makes you think they bought something and are paying it off with consignments?

Malvin

5 minutes ago, malvin said:

Stupid question but there is no doubt the Donnelly's are consigning, but what makes you think they bought something and are paying it off with consignments?

Malvin

My suspicion is that they are trying to get at least some of their money out. They have also posted things on eBay.

The current Heritage auction not being my first rodeo I've seen all kinds of crazy and unexpected prices... but this one has me stumped.

I have a smallish EC art collection and woke up this morning to two PMs on CAF enquiring about one of my Wally Wood pages, normally when something like this happens I know there's been a disturbance in the (price) force.

Now the Wally Wood page that sold last night want way after my bedtime so I didn't see it, nor was I really interested in it as I don't think it's that great. But of course (and happily) taste is subjective..

I know Wally wood EC sci-fi pages are not coming up for sale any more..but can anyone explain to me why this page sold for over $10,750

Sure, it's a first page...but there's just a tiny bit of Wood machinery in one panel and that's it... or did it sell on atmosphere alone ?

Not trying to knock who bought it but I honestly don't see it and would appreciate if someone could enlighten me.

Wally_Wood_Weird_Science-_Fantasy_26_Sto

Edited by chromium

8 minutes ago, chromium said:

The current Heritage auction not being my first rodeo I've seen all kinds of crazy and unexpected prices... but this one has me stumped.

I have a smallish EC art collection and woke up this morning to two PMs on CAF enquiring about one of my Wally Wood pages, normally when something like this happens I know there's been a disturbance in the (price) force.

Now the Wally Wood page that sold last night want way after my bedtime so I didn't see it, nor was I really interested in it as I don't think it's that great. But of course (and happily) taste is subjective..

I know Wally wood EC sci-fi pages are not coming up for sale any more..but can anyone explain to me why this page sold for over $10,750

Sure, it's a first page...but there's just a tiny bit of Wood machinery in one panel and that's it... or did it sell on atmosphere alone ?

Not trying to knock who bought it but I honestly don't see it and would appreciate if someone could enlighten me.

Wally_Wood_Weird_Science-_Fantasy_26_Sto

In the comic price guide, H-Bomb covers and stories are noted, and usually priced higher than surrounding issues due to interest in the subject matter.  I would assume this rationale may help explain, in part, some of the sticker shock for this page? (shrug)

1 minute ago, jjonahjameson11 said:

In the comic price guide, H-Bomb covers and stories are noted, and usually priced higher than surrounding issues due to interest in the subject matter.  I would assume this rationale may help explain, in part, some of the sticker shock for this page? (shrug)

Good point, never thought of that.

30 minutes ago, Rick2you2 said:

My suspicion is that they are trying to get at least some of their money out. They have also posted things on eBay.

Heh, they have always had eBay listings! Under at least 2 accounts, although each brother could have his own account 

Malvin 

1 hour ago, comix4fun said:

I looked at the current story that sold for, basically, a thousand per page with taxes and shipping and after seeing page after page with no Spider-man costume on it I am wondering where that sale price came from.

Price growth.... you can find plenty of stuff up 400% or more in that time frame. Looking at the HA archives there is plenty of stuff I would pay 4x sales from 2012/2013. 

2k a pop for the splashes, 1k each for the Spidey panel pages 300 a pop for the non Spidey pages plus a premium for “complete”....the price really isn’t surprising at all.

45 minutes ago, malvin said:

Heh, they have always had eBay listings! Under at least 2 accounts, although each brother could have his own account 

Malvin 

Yes, but their prices have been high, and from the ones I have paid attention to, weren't sold very often. I also saw more of them over the past several months (although, maybe I didn't detect some of their other listings before). Are they listing more with Heritage than they used to (if you know)?

1 hour ago, malvin said:

Malvin

It’s unusual behavior for them. It signifies they need cash for something. And do they usually sell through Heritage? The sheer volume of stuff indicates to me that they may be using consignments to pay off a purchase. 

I have nothing more than that. 

Everyone needs cash.

Once a piece is consigned to an auction house at no reserve, you do not have to deal directly with the "owners".  Be thankful you can now bid on a piece you had your eye on and possibly win at a more reasonable price than what was listed on eBay.

:whatthe: