• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

HA May Auction, lots of great art !
3 3

486 posts in this topic

3 hours ago, NinjaSealed said:

I think for the majority of books(80%+) you would see a discount, for many reasons, but I do think premiums are possible. Impossible to really determine, but fairly obvious that not every book every time is ALWAYS going to sell at a discount. Specific books in specific price ranges it can happen. I can think of plenty of books if they were magically complete I would happily pay a 10-20% premium on what I thought the individual pages were worth. 

As far as Spider-man prices in general, the market is absolutely bonkers. Nothing cool that is Spidey related surprises me anymore.

Is the price strong? Of course. I just don't think a 20 year old JRJR ASM story selling complete for $20k is that crazy at this time in the market.

Not to beat a dead horse, but sometimes when we have no data we have to use logic and assumptions, but we should have real information for this.  Does any know of a specific instance where someone paid a premium for a complete book?

Malvin

Market was strong in most areas I track - three that were most surprising

1. 1969/1970 Marvel Covers - Ok, I know this is nostalgic stuff but the Sub-Mariner covers were ~ $40k, Cap ~$50K, MSH 21 ~$35k, IM 20 only ~$25k, COD 4 ~$15K (one of my targets 0 / X)

2. Howard The Duck...not sure why Magazine Special 1 > HTD #1 end page...ok, I know it was the R-rating!

3. Wrightson Freakshow - $8k for a quiet Freakshow panel page

Fun to track the auction and read the thread - keep it going...

Mark

On 5/11/2018 at 11:12 PM, jjonahjameson11 said:

Hiya, Mike;

Ahem, for starters, when you say “a few years back...”, you actually meant 2012, which is 6 years back.

secondly, you paid $7.2K and 10.8K respectively, for those complete issues that you purchased from HA.

On 5/11/2018 at 11:12 PM, jjonahjameson11 said:

HI  Jolly Jonah.....JJJ.........Good detective work, but you were not quite so accurate in your post...... So lets get the correct information here...

5 years ago is still a "few" years ago to me..... as i'm OLD now.......LOL

I never bought the spidey story that sold for over 10k a "FEW" years ago that you wrote that i did in your post. :)

5 years ago.... and 5.5 years ago I purchased the following books from Heritage:

John Romita Jr. and Scott Hanna Amazing Spider-Man #58 Complete 22-Page Story 
"Happy Birthday Part Two" November 16,2012 
6000 plus juice $7170.00 (you are correct with this one)
Phenomenal story and the lead up to the EVER Classic ASM #500!

John Romita Jr. and Scott Hanna Amazing Spider-Man #54 Complete 22-Page Story 
"The Balancing of Karmic Accounts" Feb 22, 2013 
4500 plus juice $5,377.50 (you are incorrect with this one)

Lotta great Spidey pages in this story as well.

I also bought

John Romita Jr. and Klaus Janson Wolverine #29 Complete Book Original Art 
November 16,2012 
5500 plus juice - 6572.00

That's it.......

On a cool side note........

I also bought right around this same time a FEW years ago... (5-6 years)...LOL.... The COMPLETE ASM #500 book which was a double story, from Spencer for 25k cash.

For me... the ASM #500  story is arguably the greatest Spiderman story John Romita Jr has ever drawn!

In this story...Spider-Man must go back in time (with the help of Dr. Strange)  and he has to relive his ENTIRE Spider-Bite ORIGIN and go through EVERY key Ditko and Romita battle all over again to get to the present time to save the earth from dying at the hands of Dormammu

The double page SPLASH from the center of this book i've already been offered 25k cash for.

This spread has virtually EVERY villain Spider-Man battled from the first 122 issues of ASM, including Venom and Carnage, AND there are probably more images of Spider-Man drawn on this spread than any piece of Spidey art in HISTORY! (several little spidey  background images also if you look close enough)

Marvel even made posters and lithographs signed by Romita from this very spread.

i'll add color pics below...the double spread has more art than the color picture here shows....(Dont have art pics right now)

(Can anyone spot the 2 mistakes Romita Jr made in the double spread splash drawings of...... Carnage...... and Venom?)  :)

The only JRjr story comparable to this for me would be John Romita Jr.s ever classic Spider-Man #36 which was the sadly historic 9-11 story.

Anyway..... Hope you JJJ (A great collector for sure) and everyone else is doing well

I spent way too much in this auction.... but it was fun bidding.

Also on a side note...

This year will be my VERY last year I set up at the San Diego Comic-Con

Had an issue with getting screwed over on some good hotel rooms this year that i've had for past years, and I just decided enough is enough....As i would rather just sell art over the internet in the comfort of my own home, as it so much easier than the hassle of shipping my art to and from San Diego.... and getting hotels...... in addition to all of the other crazy expenses involved.

So i hope to see all of my west coast friends this final year that only  attend SD!

I will STILL keep setting up at the BIG Javitz New York Comic-Con as well as the great Comic Art Cons Joe and Dan put on regularly...(So long as I don't have family things going on.)

Was also thinking......Hey Joe and Dan....Let's make the Comic Art Con a 2 day show 1 time and see how it goes..........

1 time per year.....To get more out of towners to stay longer......AND so we can all have a little more time to work out BIGGER ART DEALS!  (Just my 2 cents)   

ASM500spread.jpg

ASM500_01.jpg

ASM500_08.jpg

Edited by romitaman

Always the same auction, but totally different artist, I was shocked by the result of Jamie Hewlett's pages. Two nice coloured pages from tank girl and a whole story (6 pages - not tank girl) had been auctioned on the last day as (almost) last lots. I went to bed when the coloured pages were around 1k and 350usd and the whole story a little bit over 2k. This morning the coloured pages were 5k (or a bit more) and the whole story around 19k.

I am very happy that Jamie is getting the attention he deserves and I wonder if, after this important result, more art will pop up on auctions soon. All the previous deals have been very private and there was no public sale in the last 10 years or so. Now we have something to stick to when it comes to values.

I am curious to see if these pages will pop up on caf and if the buyer is always the same (there is a rumor about Jamie looking for his art).

Luca

21 hours ago, Bill C said:

I wonder if anyone ever tried to commission Starlin to re-ink some fading pages.

I also think the illustration board used "soaks" up the ink too, so ideally the original art should be retained, then a blueline printed out on standard comic board paper, and then inked, so the original is intact (no restoration) and a new piece is created.  Somehow I doubt if Starlin is motivated economically or creatively to go through the pains of reworking any of the pages, but I could be wrong.

It would be interesting to get another inker to ink a blueline 'tho, to it turns into a different piece.

5 minutes ago, BeholdersEye said:

I also think the illustration board used "soaks" up the ink too, so ideally the original art should be retained, then a blueline printed out on standard comic board paper, and then inked, so the original is intact (no restoration) and a new piece is created.  Somehow I doubt if Starlin is motivated economically or creatively to go through the pains of reworking any of the pages, but I could be wrong.

It would be interesting to get another inker to ink a blueline 'tho, to it turns into a different piece.

If I'm not mistaken, several years ago, a then-prominent Starlin collector had the fading cover art to Death of Captain Marvel and other Starlin art re-inked by Bob McLeod. I don't remember if that included any of the pages or not, but I know about the re-inking because I bought the art to a proposed Cosmic Odyssey cover by Starlin and it was done in marker and had faded and was re-inked by McLeod.