• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

HA May Auction, lots of great art !
3 3

486 posts in this topic

On 4/5/2018 at 12:29 AM, cstojano said:

Several coolines pieces in the auction including the Spiderman Obama cover that I do believe was the subject of discussion on the boards. I also recall the last Conan cover being on their site.

they are selling an Obama cover that is not the ORIGINAL COVER used for the ASM cover when he got elected. I was going to trade for it at san diego with them years ago..once i understood they had some other variant with new stuff added...i passed.

17 hours ago, glendgold said:

Does anyone happen to know if this is actually what it looks like it is?

https://comics.ha.com/itm/miscellaneous//p/7187-186002.s?ic4=ListView-Thumbnail-071515

It has a 1992 copyright printed in the bottom right corner, which seems odd if it were OA. Could it be a limited litho? Or a hand-coloured print?

1 hour ago, drewincanada said:

It has a 1992 copyright printed in the bottom right corner, which seems odd if it were OA. Could it be a limited litho? Or a hand-coloured print?

HA sold another print for $6.7 (unsigned) & $10k (signed?). I can't tell the difference.

https://comics.ha.com/itm/memorabilia/bill-watterson-calvin-and-hobbes-final-sunday-comic-print-universal-press-syndicate-1995-/a/121438-13813.s?ic4=GalleryView-ShortDescription-071515

https://comics.ha.com/itm/memorabilia/bill-watterson-calvin-and-hobbes-the-last-sunday-print-signed-dated-12-31-95-universal-press-syndicate-1995-/a/121791-99130.s?ic4=GalleryView-ShortDescription-071515

Edited by Twanj

4 hours ago, Twanj said:

If you look carefully you'll see that the signed one has a different signature placement from the non-signed one. The "B" also is shaped differently from the other one with different weight applied throughout the signature so it doesn't look like it was printed on but written.

On 4/8/2018 at 7:40 AM, drewincanada said:

If you zoom in on lower left corner beneath artwork of second image (white border) you can see 380/1000.

I can't say I am unhappy, but there are certainly more pieces that I like than I can chase. What I don't like about it is that my choices and the end result might depend more on the order in which they will be put up than my actual preferences.  Oh well that is also the fun of it.  In any case what I find surprising is that some pieces are coming in batches of similar items: Brunner Dr. Strange, FF from the Doom / Silver Surfer stroryline, early Colan Daredevil, cosmic Lim, Sal Buscema Defenders prelude....  Surely current high prices are attracting some old timers to come to the market, but one would have thought big collectors would prefer to trickle their items over time.  I also wonder if some books are being broken up, like it seems to be the case with Sub-Mariner 34 and 35.  Possibly also FF 57?

It will be very interesting to see if the market can absorb these multiple pieces.  The three Kirby Sinnott pieces from the Doom / SS run will probably require more than 150k alone...(my guess based on precedents).

Carlo

On 2018-04-11 at 9:52 AM, Panelfan1 said:

So is anyone else unhappy that there is too much cool stuff coming out in this auction?! 

The opposite of unhappy.  In fact, I’m downright giddy at the breadth and depth of this auction.  As always, my focus is Spidey and Hulk and there’s some great examples of both.

And while this auction features some great top-shelf stuff, I believe it has some excellent examples in the $5K-$10K range as well as numerous quality pieces below $5K.

best thing about this auction is that if you are outbid on one piece, another will come later in the auction for you to win, and so on...

18 minutes ago, Rick2you2 said:

Is someone dumping their Aparo hoard? In addition to the Aparo pieces at this auction, there are a number of them in this week's auction and the next auction. For a long time, virtually nothing, and then this gusher? 

Curious about that, too.  In addition to what you’ve stated, a significant amount of Aparo pages were also sold in last week’s HA auction, and the one prior.

On 4/11/2018 at 1:12 PM, Carlo M said:

Surely current high prices are attracting some old timers to come to the market, but one would have thought big collectors would prefer to trickle their items over time. 

Not if they believe the market is going to crash imminently and want to get out while the gettin's good.

2 hours ago, tth2 said:

Not if they believe the market is going to crash imminently and want to get out while the gettin's good.

Just an observation but to me when old timers sell out, its more about life than about market predictions.    If they were the sort to worry about the market they would have sold long ago in most cases.   

11 minutes ago, Bronty said:

If they were the sort to worry about the market they would have sold long ago in most cases.   

Agree. The slope of ascent has been quite steep; bull trying very hard to throw as many off as possible.

All good until the bull dies of exhaustion :)

That's how my wallet died.