• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

HA May Auction, lots of great art !
3 3

486 posts in this topic

On 4/13/2018 at 8:11 AM, jjonahjameson11 said:

Curious about that, too.  In addition to what you’ve stated, a significant amount of Aparo pages were also sold in last week’s HA auction, and the one prior.

I noticed that, as well.  May have to get some Aparo art. hm

Great Spectre cover! :applause:

https://comics.ha.com/itm/original-comic-art/jim-aparo-adventure-comics-440-spectre-cover-original-art-dc-1975-total-2-/p/7187-87013.s?ic4=ListView-Thumbnail-071515

Adventure440cover_sm.jpg.84687aa6447158ddc1710a4ba90e9240.jpg

On 4/13/2018 at 7:51 AM, Rick2you2 said:

Is someone dumping their Aparo hoard? In addition to the Aparo pieces at this auction, there are a number of them in this week's auction and the next auction. For a long time, virtually nothing, and then this gusher? 

I went to a show yesterday and may have gotten the answer. Apparently, two hoards are being unloaded. What I was told is that one of Aparo's writers died recently, and the heirs are selling. Second, a major collector is unloading. Does the name "Friedman" ring any bells?

Maybe Bruce Friedman .

He was an editor under Martin Goodman and a friend co-worker of Stan Lee. Worked in the same building for at least a decade until at least the mid 60's. 

His sons are involved in comics as well. 

(shrug)

Edited by chromium

59 minutes ago, chromium said:

Maybe Bruce Friedman .

He was an editor under Martin Goodman and a friend co-worker of Stan Lee. Worked in the same building for at least a decade until at least the mid 60's. 

His sons are involved in comics as well. 

(shrug)

Any more info on him? I recall being told it was something like a third of all the pages, but that couldn't be right, could it?

4 hours ago, Norinn Radd said:

Great indeed. Prediction: $25k with juice. (And yes, I am priced out.)

2 hours ago, Rick2you2 said:

Any more info on him? I recall being told it was something like a third of all the pages, but that couldn't be right, could it?

Sorry, that's my best guess and it's all I got.

7 hours ago, Norinn Radd said:

If the two piles of Aparo art as large as I suspect, there will be more opportunities coming up. 

2 hours ago, NinjaSealed said:

New Mutants #98 page is already over 10k, my gut was telling me it would go crazy, I think some people heads will explode when it hammers.

If the Over/Under is $50k what side would you bet on?

I know Rob Liefeld is into original comic art, so it wouldn't surprise me if he threw his bids into the auction to reacquire his artwork given the big deal he made for licensing his character creations and his personal wealth. 

48 minutes ago, BeholdersEye said:

I know Rob Liefeld is into original comic art, so it wouldn't surprise me if he threw his bids into the auction to reacquire his artwork given the big deal he made for licensing his character creations and his personal wealth. 

Under, at 18k-25k.

9 hours ago, NinjaSealed said:

New Mutants #98 page is already over 10k, my gut was telling me it would go crazy, I think some people heads will explode when it hammers.

I think this is going to be hammer in the range of a top McFarlane ASM - Venom page.

Great timing for this character, and Liefeld seems to be getting a lot of (positive) attention of late.

16 hours ago, BeholdersEye said:

I would take the under but I am the worst at guessing numbers unless I am a serious bidder. 

18 hours ago, BeholdersEye said:

Under 30k +/- 5

1 hour ago, NinjaSealed said:

I am betting around 45-50k hammer. No way this page ends up under 30k. 

50k hammer?   Good googly moogly.   I'd disagree but you've been good at guessing on these types of pieces before.    

Whatever Fish paid for the cover feels like a pretty good deal right now.    

Edited by Bronty