• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Action #13 4.0 Blue

32 posts in this topic

2 hours ago, Gotham Kid said:

Washed out colors...

+1

After seeing a totally washed out almost colorless cover like this as compared to some of the covers with eye-popping colors that almost appear like they are dripping off the page, it makes me wonder why CGC doesn't really factor in color saturation when coming up with their final grade determination. :screwy: 

Yes, although this copy might grade out to a VG 4.0 from a strict CGC technical point of view only, the loss of color sure makes it appear to be much less than a VG 4.0 from a visual point of view.  Especially when I am quite sure this loss of color was not due to the production process.  :p

5 minutes ago, lou_fine said:

+1

After seeing a totally washed out almost colorless cover like this as compared to some of the covers with eye-popping colors that almost appear like they are dripping off the page, it makes me wonder why CGC doesn't really factor in color saturation when coming up with their final grade determination. :screwy: 

Yes, although this copy might grade out to a VG 4.0 from a strict CGC technical point of view only, the loss of color sure makes it appear to be much less than a VG 4.0 from a visual point of view.  Especially when I am quite sure this loss of color was not due to the production process.  :p

A 4.0 that bleached counts as a 1.0 in my book...

3 hours ago, fishbone said:

Rare mid-grade copy in upcoming CC auction  ..............  with some recent low-grades selling  strongly, what could this one go for ?

https://www.comicconnect.com/bookDetail.php?id=771089

54 minutes ago, G.A.tor said:

4.0 coming up in heritage too

The answer is that it will be going for a lot less than this equivalent graded VG 4.0 copy on Heritage that was point out to us by Gator:

https://comics.ha.com/itm/golden-age-1938-1955-/action-comics-13-dc-1939-cgc-vg-40-off-white-to-white-pages/p/7187-110001.s?ic4=GalleryView-Thumbnail-071515#

To me, it's an absolute no-brainer as to which one would grade higher and would command more money in the marketplace. 

22 minutes ago, lou_fine said:

The answer is that it will be going for a lot less than this equivalent graded VG 4.0 copy on Heritage that was point out to us by Gator:

https://comics.ha.com/itm/golden-age-1938-1955-/action-comics-13-dc-1939-cgc-vg-40-off-white-to-white-pages/p/7187-110001.s?ic4=GalleryView-Thumbnail-071515#

To me, it's an absolute no-brainer as to which one would grade higher and would command more money in the marketplace. 

Of course, absolutely!

i just wonder , given how rare this book does seem to be, what sort of multiple of guide a 4.0 might go for. And how much more the Heritage than the CC will be

i think it will be interesting....

21 minutes ago, lou_fine said:

This certainly presents a great opportunity to see the true market value of vibrant color as these 2 equally graded rarities go up at nearly the same point in time here.  The difference in color couldn’t be more stark.

56 minutes ago, lou_fine said:

+1

This MMC I own was graded a 3.5 due to some warping and clear/hard to see stains on the covers. CGC's criteria on color loss/staining/foxing is pretty silly. Is their anyone else on the planet who thinks that Action is higher grade than the book below? Not a one-off either. I own several examples like this. 

001 (91).jpg

Edited by october

21 minutes ago, october said:

This MMC I own was graded a 3.5 due to some warping and clear/hard to see stains on the covers. CGC's criteria on color loss/staining/foxing is pretty silly. Is their anyone else on the planet who thinks that Action is higher grade than the book below? Not a one-off either. I own several examples like this. 

001 (91).jpg

Well, if you apply a combination of muscle and something else non-restorative to scrubbed out all of the color and stain at the same time, you just might be able to get a higher technical grade from CGC.  lol  :screwy:

On 3/31/2018 at 9:07 AM, fishbone said:

Rare mid-grade copy in upcoming CC auction  ..............  with some recent low-grades selling  strongly, what could this one go for ?

https://www.comicconnect.com/bookDetail.php?id=771089

Regardless of the washed out colours, I am a little bit surprised this book is going up in one of their Monthly Auctions only, instead of one of their Event Auctions which tends to draw more eyeballs.  Definitely eyeballs attached to deeper pocketed collectors, many of whom probably don't even bother looking at their non-Event auctions.

After all, this is a copy of Action 13 that we are talking about which is highly desirable in any condition level.  :cloud9:

On 3/31/2018 at 2:17 PM, lou_fine said:

+1

I would love to see them implement an "eye appeal" scale that factors into the overall grade, but I suspect it would be just one more head-scratcher when the final grade appeared.

7 minutes ago, entalmighty1 said:

I would love to see them implement an "eye appeal" scale that factors into the overall grade, but I suspect it would be just one more head-scratcher when the final grade appeared.

I suppose that’s the give and take of collecting - I need an Action #13 to complete/add to my collection , is this acceptable and at what price? The basis of collecting from the beginning of time, otherwise maybe we should just burn the books that don’t present perfectly :devil:

4 hours ago, lou_fine said:

I am a little bit surprised this book is going up in one of their Monthly Auctions only, instead of one of their Event Auctions which tends to draw more eyeballs.

Probably same guy consigning the Action 7. In both cases he stands to lose $ on his choice of auction.

On 3/31/2018 at 4:13 PM, october said:

001 (91).jpg

I agree with you.  Hammering almost invisible stains, while not taking into account differences in the vibrancy (or lack thereof) of colors might be the too most wrong-headed aspects of current CGC grading.  Although not knocking off enough for Marvel chipping is certainly also high on the list.

On 4/1/2018 at 1:24 PM, lou_fine said:

Regardless of the washed out colours, I am a little bit surprised this book is going up in one of their Monthly Auctions only, instead of one of their Event Auctions which tends to draw more eyeballs.  Definitely eyeballs attached to deeper pocketed collectors, many of whom probably don't even bother looking at their non-Event auctions.

After all, this is a copy of Action 13 that we are talking about which is highly desirable in any condition level.  :cloud9:

They are seriously stepping up the monthly auction lineup in this latest one.  A lot of nice books.  Great run of early Superman, etc.