• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Action #13 4.0 Blue

32 posts in this topic

39 minutes ago, Ricksneatstuff said:
On 4/1/2018 at 10:24 AM, lou_fine said:

Regardless of the washed out colours, I am a little bit surprised this book is going up in one of their Monthly Auctions only, instead of one of their Event Auctions which tends to draw more eyeballs.  Definitely eyeballs attached to deeper pocketed collectors, many of whom probably don't even bother looking at their non-Event auctions.

After all, this is a copy of Action 13 that we are talking about which is highly desirable in any condition level.  :cloud9:

They are seriously stepping up the monthly auction lineup in this latest one.  A lot of nice books.  Great run of early Superman, etc. 

Probably due to the fact that their next Event Auction is apparently going to consist entirely with books from the Second City Collection

Don't know if this is going to be in there as an "extra" Event Auction (similar to Jon Berk's last summer) or just replacing the regular Event Auction that's normally schedule at this time of year.  If the latter, than this means regular consignors will not have their books until the following Event Auction which will normally does not end until the middle of September.  

On ‎15‎/‎04‎/‎2018 at 10:40 PM, lou_fine said:

Probably due to the fact that their next Event Auction is apparently going to consist entirely with books from the Second City Collection

Don't know if this is going to be in there as an "extra" Event Auction (similar to Jon Berk's last summer) or just replacing the regular Event Auction that's normally schedule at this time of year.  If the latter, than this means regular consignors will not have their books until the following Event Auction which will normally does not end until the middle of September.  

37.5 was the hammer

Guess the washed out top half kept it more in the 2.0 range rather than the graded 4.0 that it is ....................Heritage one alreay at 24k, with 16 days left , wonder what it will end at ?

Edited by fishbone

On 3/31/2018 at 1:13 PM, october said:

This MMC I own was graded a 3.5 due to some warping and clear/hard to see stains on the covers. CGC's criteria on color loss/staining/foxing is pretty silly. Is their anyone else on the planet who thinks that Action is higher grade than the book below? Not a one-off either. I own several examples like this. 

001 (91).jpg

I agree with that completely since it’s always factored into my purchases.

I was wondering though how you would approach something like Fiction House or 1950’s DC  comics which notoriously have fading on a great number of them. It seems like copies with some degree of fading are the norm and copies with their full colour intact are the extra scarce sought out ones.

Maybe they could introduce an exceptional colour luster tag on books that pop?

49 minutes ago, N e r V said:

I was wondering though how you would approach something like Fiction House or 1950’s DC  comics which notoriously have fading on a great number of them. It seems like copies with some degree of fading are the norm and copies with their full colour intact are the extra scarce sought out ones.

Holy SH....T!!  THAT"s a 3.5 ??????? Not even a GA bump? weird ....

Edited by fishbone

On 31/3/2018 at 6:07 PM, fishbone said:

Rare mid-grade copy in upcoming CC auction  ..............  with some recent low-grades selling  strongly, what could this one go for ?

https://www.comicconnect.com/bookDetail.php?id=771089

Old school boardies once used to designate this book "the poor mans Action #1".

Well ...  

22 hours ago, N e r V said:

Personally? I think poor factory colors, Marvel chipping, miscuts and poor centering should factor heavily into the technical grade. Objectively, it seems pretty bizarre that a book with bad colors and a big strip of white can get a 9.4, while a far more visually appealing 9.0 gets hammered because of a back cover stain or some stress on the spine. I don't get it, and other hobbies take factory defects into account when assessing the technical grade. Works for me though, as I can get great looking copies at a fraction of what a "better" book costs and sell fugly looking high grade books for strong prices. The more people fixated on the numerical grade, the better. 

Edited by october

1 hour ago, october said:

Personally? I think poor factory colors, Marvel chipping, miscuts and poor centering should factor heavily into the technical grade. Objectively, it seems pretty bizarre that a book with bad colors and a big strip of white can get a 9.4, while a far more visually appealing 9.0 gets hammered because of a back cover stain or some stress on the spine. I don't get it, and other hobbies take factory defects into account when assessing the technical grade. Works for me though, as I can get great looking copies at a fraction of what a "better" book costs and sell fugly looking high grade books for strong prices. The more people fixated on the numerical grade, the better. 

"Works for me though, as I can get great looking copies at a fraction of what a "better" book costs and sell fugly looking high grade books for strong prices. The more people fixated on the numerical grade, the better."

100% agree!

1 hour ago, october said:

Couldn't agree more.

It's especially silly with newer books.  People chasing 9.8 copies willing to pay absurd amounts of money compared to 9.6/9.4/9.2 copies that 99% of collectors can't differentiate between.  It's all about the number.  You can't argue the genius of CGC to pinpoint and capitalize on people's obsessive tendencies though.  Hats off for that.

27 minutes ago, entalmighty1 said:
2 hours ago, october said:

Couldn't agree more.

It's especially silly with newer books.  People chasing 9.8 copies willing to pay absurd amounts of money compared to 9.6/9.4/9.2 copies that 99% of collectors can't differentiate between.  It's all about the number.  You can't argue the genius of CGC to pinpoint and capitalize on people's obsessive tendencies though.  Hats off for that.

It's indeed real!  My best friend would only buy 9.8 moderns and that's it!  He doesn't even bother with anything lower.  I asked why pay for a 9.8 when you can get a discount by buying a 9.6 instead and the difference between the two is very very small?  He said because of the number and that's what he wants.  Trying to talk some sense into it but he seems not to listen :ohnoez:

Sure I do like the 9.8's as well if I can get for a good price, but I don't mind buying a 9.6 or lower if it looks just as nice

On 4/24/2018 at 10:47 AM, fishbone said:

Holy SH....T!!  THAT"s a 3.5 ??????? Not even a GA bump? weird ....

I haven't really seen a GA bump ever since they tightened up the grading a couple of years ago when it looked like the other company was starting to gain market share. :gossip:

If anything, I find that the GA books have been graded even tougher than some of the more recent SA books.  Of course, that;s just from a visual cover appearnace point of view since I don't have the actual book in hand.  (shrug)

5 hours ago, october said:

I think we’re on the same page. I care less about the number and more about the books appearance in hand.

I was only pointing out before that sometimes you have to make do with some degree of fading (not extreme though) with certain books, companies since that’s the norm for many.

On 4/15/2018 at 9:56 PM, Ricksneatstuff said:

They are seriously stepping up the monthly auction lineup in this latest one.  A lot of nice books.  Great run of early Superman, etc. 

You see a smattering of nice books (that is, books you'd expect to see in their event/signature/whatever auctions) in the CC and CL off-month auctions and in the Heritage Sunday night auctions.  Some of it might be because a book arrived for consignment at the wrong time or because they already have a better copy slotted in to the next big auction and the consignor is anxious to get the book sold.

I have a feeling, though, that the auction houses all feel the need to have some big books in their off-peak auctions to attract people to them.  If buyers come to think those auctions offer nothing but routine books, they are more likely to start skipping them.  Just speculating, of course.