• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Dazzler. Anybody actually read the comic?

17 posts in this topic

As a kid, I liked it. Read almost the whole run, but this was like 30 years ago now. I remember the first half being kind of goofy and dumb, but it got much better/weirder towards the end. 

The GN might be a little too relevant today, as it's about a sleazy Hollywood producer who gets involved with Dazzler. it's pretty good. Written by Shooter. 

I remember standing in a comic shop as a youth, maybe a little more than 30 years ago, listening to the clerk talk to a customer. He was describing a scene in which Dazzler was performing a concert and she absorbed the voices of everyone in the audience and turned it into light (why? I have no idea). But the idea grabbed my brain and an imagined image of that sequence is still with me. I think it was from Dazzler the Movie.

So that is what I remember from her series...oh and that she fought Galactus!

Most issues featured pedestrian writing and drab artwork.  I've not read the so-called graphic novel, but publishing something inked by Vinnie Colletta in that format was surely some kind of joke.  Bill Sienkiewicz contributed a run of nice painted covers and I thought #38-42 by Archie Goodwin and Paul Chadwick and the Beauty and the Beast miniseries by Ann Nocenti and Don Perlin were okay.  All issues, including the GN, have been reprinted in black and white in two Essential Dazzler phonebooks.

On 3/31/2018 at 2:59 PM, NoMan said:

Any good?  How about Jim Shooter’s Dazzler the movie GN? 

We all make fun but curious if anyone’s ever read it. Thanks in advance. 

I liked it.  It definitely got better as it went on.  It was a little odd to see her going toe to toe with Galactus and the Hulk.  But, new characters have to look strong.  I would say the back half of the series is better than the first half.  The stuff with Rogue was a fun read, and then after she goes to California wasn't too shabby either.  It's nothing groundbreaking, but I definitely have a soft spot (possibly on my head) for some of these random series like Dazzler, The Thing, and Spider-Woman.  Dazzler the Movie was ok.  Not the best read, and probably more of a Shooter vanity project since he sunk a lot of resources into Dazzler.  

Enjoyed then at the time but don't imagine I would now. 

I had a soft spot for the run, like other series from the time I suppose like Ka-Zar or Moon Knight. Still need to get the GN though.