• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Thoughts on subscription creases
1 1

3 posts in this topic

Happy Saturday my Friends :hi:

The past few days I've been going through quite a few books with subscription creases and was hoping to gather your thoughts on them and how they affect the grade of a book. My grading skills are a tad rusty after taking some time off so I thought this week I'd tackle some SA's in various states of disarray to work myself back into mid-season form.

Does anyone have a "minimum/maximum grade" that they will assign a book with a subscription crease? Subscription creases will of course differ in their severity and amount of color breaking but I figured that folks out there might have a maximum grade that they will give a book with a sub crease. Or when grading a book with a sub-c they will begin by immediately assigning perhaps a VG 4.0 and then "work their way down" from there and subtract for the other defects present.

I wasn't able to find any examples of how CGC addresses these in the past so if you have a slab with a sub crease what has been your experience? 

Also, many subscription creases won't break color and I'm curious to know if anyone has had experience completely pressing out a subscription crease? Since the crease extends throughout the book I wonder if they've had success with just the covers pressing out and the insides retaining their bend.

And in the rare instance that you had a book that was flawless except for the subscription crease what would you grade it at? Do you think that CGC would (or has in the past) assigned a Qualified grade to it? I've included pics below of a few books that can be used for reference in the discussion.

With the JIM #115 & 116, both books are perhaps a 7.5 without the crease. The Green Lantern is a bit nicer - maybe an 8.0 to 8.5 w/out the crease. The Atom #14 is a bit better than that - perhaps 8.5/9.0 without the crease. I think I'll post these in the PGM Forum as well as a lot of folks might not visit this sub-forum.

Thanks in advance (worship)

jim116.JPG

jim116a.JPG

jim116b.JPG

jim115.JPG

jim115a.JPG

jim115b.JPG

gl27.JPG

gl27a.JPG

gl27b.JPG

at14.JPG

at14a.JPG

at14b.JPG

Back in the old days, VG was the baseline for me and then you would grade downwards depending on other flaws. Now I see sub creases on books up to F-. They used to bug the hell out of me and I didn't want any in my collection, but as I grew older I realized you can get a really sharp VG/VG+ book with the only/main flaw being the sub crease. It's something I'm happy to purchase on key books that are out of my price range in higher grades, a nice clean book with a sub crease as opposed to a book with multiple spine issues and multiple corner creases.