• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Copper (and early modern) you keep on buying anyway...
1 1

75 posts in this topic

My apologies if this thread exists. I may have actually started a similar one years ago. But as i was going through some new cheapo box arrivals at my lcs it hit me that i have some irrationality going on. If cheap enough i can't seem to stop myself from buying 80s and early 90s ASM, uncanny x-men, liefeld new mutants, george perez NTT, batman/detective, and most 60-75 cent cover price mainstream marvels. Obviously some of these are winners at cheapo box prices, and i'm not talking about those, mcfarlane spideys and hulk always make sense, but many are not, although some have potential. If they are in nice shape i have trouble resisting. My pile this week had multiples of NTT in the year or so after judas contract and a bunch of x-men from 220-280. The problem is that therapy to trear this behavior costs more than the comics.

There are some Valiant books that fall into that category. But then, I still think they still have a lot to grow, especially once the movies come along.

If the new owners don't go the route of pushing the books to change to match what they do in the movies, and the quality remains consistent, then I think that Valiant may find new readership amongst current Marvel and DC readers, if they produce a good movie.

I always buy these even though I have tons:

asm 200-325

hulk issues from mcfarlane or early keown

uncanny xmen 150-275

spiderman 365 (if spidey 2099 ever appears in the MCU, look out)

early valiant pre-unity

Simonson Thors

Any Mignola, Hughes, Stevens covers. 

Batman (but just the main Batman title, not Tec or the other spinoffs, unless it's a particular artist or key of some sort)

Pretty much any cheesecake or good/bad girl books with decent art. Sex always sells, especially to me!

On the "modern" side, I still have a fondness for some of the gimmick books of my youth. I buy every Glow in the Dark cover I run across, particularly Ghost Rider 15 and the Spectre GitD covers. And for reasons I don't understand, I still buy X-Men 1, particularly the deluxe cover, if I can get it for 50 cents or less. I realize there is nothing to be gained by doing so, and yet, I can't stop myself. I also always pick up the second print gold/silver/copper covers, and pretty much any DC 2nd or later printing.

Even when they're cheap, I'm still a stickler for condition. Went to a big 50 cent sale this weekend, but even at that price, they still had to be in pretty nice shape for me to pick them up.

Whenever I see a Web of Spider-man 19 in a dollar box, I grab it. In the early '90s I thought it was going to be a key, as vigilantes were all the rage then, and Web 19 is Solo's first appearance. Since Solo is mainly about anti-terrorism, I thought Marvel might make a push with him after 9/11, but that never happened. A series focusing on what terrorism is like in the Marvel Universe could be interesting.

2 hours ago, GeeksAreMyPeeps said:

Whenever I see a Web of Spider-man 19 in a dollar box, I grab it. In the early '90s I thought it was going to be a key, as vigilantes were all the rage then, and Web 19 is Solo's first appearance. Since Solo is mainly about anti-terrorism, I thought Marvel might make a push with him after 9/11, but that never happened. A series focusing on what terrorism is like in the Marvel Universe could be interesting.

I figured you meant #18. First "villain arm that doesn't trigger spidey-sense"... Venom, no costume. Then #24, Venom arm... then the first full Venom later, in ASM 299. :D

4 hours ago, GeeksAreMyPeeps said:

It's seen new life since the Mercs team. Got a 9.8? Throw one up and let's see what it gets hm

So despite all of us 35 - 48 year olds buying these en masse and hoarding them there still seems to be an unlimited supply!

Borderline copper/modern, but I also have an affinity for the Sam Kieth MCP covers. When I see them 3 for $2 I buy them. I've stopped at a full $1 other than a couple of issues. I was sorting comics with my son the other day and he hit a bunch of them and he is like "WTF dad, why are you buying 5 - 10 of each of these, what is wrong with you??" And he picked up one that awsn't bagged or boarded in a not careful way that could have caused a spine tick and I said "that's not how to handle a comic...!" and his reponse was "dad, you have 10 more of this issue to replace it with!"  I need to stop with those. Lately I have taken a pass.

20 hours ago, GeeksAreMyPeeps said:

Oh! Ha! I actually did the same thing with Marvel Comics Presents #27 (I think that's the issue); first Coldblood. And then I completely missed the rumor a few years ago, so I still have my stack. :(

I have quite a few 'cat nip' issues...

1. Any Dave Stevens cover
  2. Xenozoic Tales (rarely see these in the wild)
  3. Pre-Unity Valiant
  4. Wolverine #1-25
  5. McFarlane Spideys and Hulks
  6. Obscure, low-priced 1st appearance books like Adv. Superman #500, Bats #457, Cyblade/Shi #1, Firestorm #24, etc.

3 minutes ago, AGGIEZ said:

I have quite a few 'cat nip' issues...

1. Any Dave Stevens cover
  2. Xenozoic Tales (rarely see these in the wild)
  3. Pre-Unity Valiant
  4. Wolverine #1-25
  5. McFarlane Spideys and Hulks
  6. Obscure, low-priced 1st appearance books like Adv. Superman #500, Bats #457, Cyblade/Shi #1, Firestorm #24, etc.

All great stuff. I WOULD pick up every Xenozoic Tales I found, except I never, ever, nerver see them, in the wild. They are beautiful books. I have a set for myself, and would love to have more, but they just aren't out there in appreciable numbers.

I also pick up Wolvie newsstands when I find them cheap. I always figure Batman, Wolverine and Spider-man main titles are blue chip books, so at $1 or less in NM, I really can't lose in the long run.

Several people have mentioned Pre-Unity Valiant (in this topic and others), so I figure it might be useful to define those.

About 50 different Pre-Unity Valiant books, all 1991 or 1992, cover prices between $1.75 and $2.25:

Archer & Armstrong #0 (and #0 Gold)

Harbinger #1 - #7 (#1-#6 should have a coupon insert), #0 with a pink sky cover

Magnus Robot Fighter #1 - #14 (#1-#8 should have cards insert, 3 cards, 1 coupon card), #0 (with and without card insert)

Rai #1 - #5 (#0 is not Pre-Unity, but if you see it for $1, grab it)

Shadowman #1 - #3

Solar, Man of the Atom #1 - #11 (there is also a 2nd print of #10 that came out post-Unity)

Vintage Magnus Robot Fighter #1 - #4 ("Vintage" is part of the title, reprints Gold Key stories)

X-O Manowar #1 - #6

Tiny (but clickable) images at the bottom of this page: http://valiant101.com/

Edited by valiantman

1 hour ago, valiantman said:

Several people have mentioned Pre-Unity Valiant (in this topic and others), so I figure it might be useful to define those.

About 50 different Pre-Unity Valiant books, all 1991 or 1992, cover prices between $1.75 and $2.25:

Archer & Armstrong #0 (and #0 Gold)

Harbinger #1 - #7 (#1-#6 should have a coupon insert), #0 with a pink sky cover

Magnus Robot Fighter #1 - #14 (#1-#8 should have cards insert, 3 cards, 1 coupon card), #0 (with and without card insert)

Rai #1 - #5 (#0 is not Pre-Unity, but if you see it for $1, grab it)

Shadowman #1 - #3

Solar, Man of the Atom #1 - #11 (there is also a 2nd print of #10 that came out post-Unity)

Vintage Magnus Robot Fighter #1 - #4 ("Vintage" is part of the title, reprints Gold Key stories)

X-O Manowar #1 - #6

Tiny (but clickable) images at the bottom of this page: http://valiant101.com/

Trying to figure out when to start picking up the later issues is a challenge too. The last one or two of many of the titles have popped (Turok 47, etc.), but honestly, it isn't like I run into a lot of Turok 42s either. They may have had slightly higher print runs, but the title was dying at that point too and were quarter box books for a while. 47 might have gotten into a bag and board. The market hasn't responded on many of those books that had reasonably low print runs. (The same is true of some of the marvel titles that died in the late/mid 90s like Punisher, Ghost Rider, Dr. Strange...)

1 hour ago, nickwire said:

I grab moore swamp things all the time. I find most of his run can be found in 2 dollar bins

I also grab a lot of the later issues from that run (not just the last 2-3). 

Patrick

I grab any 83-88 indie whenever I see it in NM/1st print on the bay. That includes Nexus b&w, fish police, samurai, adventurers, spaced, quadrant.. I've amassed a short box of those through the years and am yet to break a $100 total on them all