• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

What artist is on your collecting bucket list?
1 1

61 posts in this topic

As collectors  - it's always exciting to get your first piece of art by a particular artist.  Is there any artist that you hope to get an example from one day?

So  - I have been on the lookout for a cool painting by Massimo Carnevale for a while now. He was one of the cover artists on Y the last man and Northlanders - but most of his work is on Italian comics. What I love most from him is his paintings.  He draws great faces, costumes and more - but I adore his rendering in his paintings. While some pieces are available  for sale right now- still have not found the right one for me. Not looking for more than 1 - so I gotta love it. 

Thought I would start this post as a way to talk about artists whose work we hope to own someday. Doesn't need to be a specific piece. Just the artist. Tell us who they are, what you like about them and show a representative image of their work.  As we know many long practicing artists have changed their styles over time - so try and show an image with the qualities you enjoy.

So - what artist are you on the look out For?

3957882-ylme-cv57.jpg

2dcafc572fdbfe3b5496f7084e10dd6a--girl-illustrations-illustration-art.jpg

massimo_carnevale.jpg

Edited by Panelfan1

15 hours ago, Panelfan1 said:

As collectors  - it's always exciting to get your first piece of art by a particular artist.  Is there any artist that you hope to get an example from one day?

So  - I have been on the lookout for a cool painting by Massimo Carnevale for a while now. He was one of the cover artists on Y the last man and Northlanders - but most of his work is on Italian comics. What I love most from him is his paintings.  He draws great faces, costumes and more - but I adore his rendering in his paintings. While some pieces are available  for sale right now- still have not found the right one for me. Not looking for more than 1 - so I gotta love it. 

Thought I would start this post as a way to talk about artists whose work we hope to own someday. Doesn't need to be a specific piece. Just the artist. Tell us who they are, what you like about them and show a representative image of their work.  As we know many long practicing artists have changed their styles over time - so try and show an image with the qualities you enjoy.

So - what artist are you on the look out For?

3957882-ylme-cv57.jpg

2dcafc572fdbfe3b5496f7084e10dd6a--girl-illustrations-illustration-art.jpg

massimo_carnevale.jpg

I might have a couple of Carnevale's pieces up for sale, if interested, please pm. thanks

when I started this thread I was looking forward to more participation. I know that asking for images is asking for a bit of work -but ultimately in art collecting its a visual medium so showing images makes this much more fun.  It doesn't need to be a lot of work though- just pick an artist you are interested in, but don't yet have art from and show some images of work they have done (google is easy to use.). Sharing the love for artists and their art seemed like a great thing to do among 'art lovers.' As the post has gotten a lot of views, I think there is interest and as a way to hopefully evoke more sharing - I would like to share another artist I love that I hope to one day pick up a piece of art from.

Dave Stevens - he needs no introduction. Super famous. Created the Rocketeer. Everyone loves him. I got to meet him at San Diego back in the 90s. Heck of a guy. 

My first taste of Dave's work was those 3d comics back in the 1980s - seduction of the innocent and Shana. I was also a huge fan of Johnny Quest -and Dave's cover to #5 has been burned onto my brain. I know I will likely never own any of these -but I love his work. I especially love his luscious inking style.   I have the art books and they are sweet. Many folks have pointed out that Dave was influenced by Matt Baker . Baker's brush technique certainly fits the bill. Is there a new Dave Stevens in comics today? If so - who is he/she?

here are some of my favorite Stevens Covers.

stevens w.jpg

stevens 1.jpg

stevens3.jpg

Edited by Panelfan1

Let me suggest you change the title of this thread. It sounds like you are asking people to identify the artist who did the images you posted (which are terrific). 

As for me, I've always loved the 19th century political cartoonist, Thomas Nast, but that's in a whole different category: 

19th Century Poster featuring the photograph Thomas Nast Political Cartoon Depicting by Everett

Image result for Thomas nast

When I look at the (very narrow) list of art that I still really want, but have no other examples of by the artist, there's really only:

Parsonavich (Patrick Parsons, aka Chris Parsons) from the Adolescent Radioactive Black Belt Hamsters series

John Romita Sr. (used to have 3 covers, but sold or traded them all)

ARBBH1.jpg.408c2a06d79bcbf0da20e6f7fc4f143c.jpgARBBH2.jpg.6d92c2b83e51670d7616c49b254e4833.jpg5ac37d5cba3a8_ASM122.thumb.jpg.105d1e0f74bc50c6b2be7f6b002b5123.jpg

That's terrific.   What a great piece.

I'd love to have Brown's attack of the 50 ft woman, but who wouldn't?

Assuming either one exists of course.

p6568_p_v8_aa.jpg

Edited by Bronty

Like Voord, I have to stretch a bit further to get excited these days. Actually I have to go outside comic and illustration art:

Artist I have my eye on "today" (tomorrow will be somebody else) and sorry in advance for the OT (just let me know if it's not cool and I'll shut up!)

Kelly Moore:

a04539ee88302ae9434b7c8cce5e3f38.jpg.

b563ed3c6933ea94fc7f2cbe44a0d3cd--kelly-

8678fe35f78705514dd469a636a041e4--kelly-

7 hours ago, Bronty said:

I love that the hamsters are on your list :headbang:

not me. they are on my list too. and in an open auction type situation - I am not likely to win over Gene.:$

Edited by Panelfan1

Just now, Panelfan1 said:

not me. they are on my list too. and in an open auction type situation - I am not likely to win over Gene.:$

There's always punishment bidding (shrug)

Just now, Panelfan1 said:

who does that?!

Some would call it a smart way to weaken your opponent without spending a dime :insane:

(I think you're not picking up on the fact I'm joking ;)  - some people do it, but I couldn't/ wouldn't)

50 minutes ago, Bronty said:

Some would call it a smart way to weaken your opponent without spending a dime :insane:

(I think you're not picking up on the fact I'm joking ;)  - some people do it, but I couldn't/ wouldn't)

I figured you had to be joking. Anyone with Sergio Aragones and Kent Burles art among their holdings, has to be decent at heart.  It's just I heard of this (punishment bidding) before - and really can't understand the concept.

9 hours ago, delekkerste said:

When I look at the (very narrow) list of art that I still really want, but have no other examples of by the artist, there's really only:

Parsonavich (Patrick Parsons, aka Chris Parsons) from the Adolescent Radioactive Black Belt Hamsters series

John Romita Sr. (used to have 3 covers, but sold or traded them all)

ARBBH1.jpg.408c2a06d79bcbf0da20e6f7fc4f143c.jpgARBBH2.jpg.6d92c2b83e51670d7616c49b254e4833.jpg5ac37d5cba3a8_ASM122.thumb.jpg.105d1e0f74bc50c6b2be7f6b002b5123.jpg

I had to do a double-take when I saw  Parsonavich mentioned in the same breath as Romita Sr, but I get it.  I was following a lot of titles during the black and white boom and  I really enjoyed his quirky art style (so bad that it’s good).  And Romita Sr has always been one of my favs.