• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

What artist is on your collecting bucket list?
1 1

61 posts in this topic

3 hours ago, Twanj said:

I'm really impressed with the colored piece in the auction. Not just because it's colored, but because it's the last strip of the series and is memorable because of it. That has to give it an extra pump.

2 hours ago, O. said:

As quoted from this Feb 2018 Market Report:

"Almost all of Watterson’s C&H original artwork is held by Ohio State University’s Billy Ireland Cartoon Library & Museum, with the few pieces coming to market largely having been gifts from Watterson to friends. As such, public availability of daily (and especially Sunday) strips is miniscule, and values correspondingly astronomical! Prices for C&H dailies have been hovering in the $70k-80k band for the past couple years; is this near-$100k mark the new normal?"

Wow.  Yup, I guess I can cross that one off as "never gonna happen".  :sorry:

4 hours ago, Bronty said:

I think the second link suggests a large color piece that's special in any way could be 50k?  After all some of those are 15,20k and somewhat lacklustre.    The only one with a nice shot of the Addams Family in that link is from 1984 and it shows!

In Mar. 2017, this went for $14,300:

M34825-1.jpg

With Lurch and Morticia for $20K in Sept. 2016:

Addams Family

2 minutes ago, Rick2you2 said:

In Mar. 2017, this went for $14,300:

M34825-1.jpg

With Lurch and Morticia for $20K in Sept. 2016:

That top one is from 1984 and it shows!  

Bottom one isn’t bad.    Hey I’m not saying that piece was worth 50k, I haven’t even seen it!    Just saying that there is at least one black and white at 40k so perhaps a 50k colour could happen

1 minute ago, Bronty said:

Bottom one isn’t bad.    Hey I’m not saying that piece was worth 50k, I haven’t even seen it!    Just saying that there is at least one black and white at 40k so perhaps a 50k colour could happen

When I was young, copies of the Addams cartoons were all packaged and sold in paperbacks; I must have had at least half a dozen of them. To do that means that they were not only popular, but valuable even back then. So, my guess is that there are a lot of them out there. I found those on the web in a matter of minutes. My suspicion is that $50K is really high no matter what it looks like.

It’s only 10k more than 40k! ;)

I’m not sure what copies getting handed out in the day has to do with the current value.

Edited by Bronty

13 minutes ago, Bronty said:

I’m not sure what copies getting handed out in the day has to do with the current value.

Scarcity drives up prices, if an item is in demand. Van Goghs would be cheaper if he did a lot of them. Addams did hugh numbers of cartoons.  

To sell collected works of copies mean they always had value; and that means that they would have been saved. 

7 hours ago, DeadpoolJr. said:

I'm really impressed with the colored piece in the auction. Not just because it's colored, but because it's the last strip of the series and is memorable because of it. That has to give it an extra pump.

That's a print, not original artwork. But a few months ago it sold for $10k.

9 hours ago, Rick2you2 said:

Scarcity drives up prices, if an item is in demand. Van Goghs would be cheaper if he did a lot of them. Addams did hugh numbers of cartoons.  

To sell collected works of copies mean they always had value; and that means that they would have been saved. 

Ehh.   How many works did picasso do?   Or in comic art, kirby?   Or in strip art, Schulz?     huge numbers all.    If its something people care about, the fact there are lots of pieces out there doesn't matter that much.     Yes, scarcity can drive prices up too (see calvin and hobbes) but your supply side argument isn't that relevant when we are looking at data points between 10-40k already.    If there are so many of them and if that's such a problem, why did that nice example get 40k?   And why is it so hard to imagine a similar or better piece being priced a little higher at retail?

I just don't know why we are assuming something we haven't even seen wasn't worth it.    I get the sense that you just don't see the value in it, and that's fine, there are pieces I don't feel are worth what the market does, either.   And its also possible it was flat overpriced.    Who knows. 

Edited by Bronty

Just now, vodou said:

Not if it's gone. And I suspect somebody would have put up the image by now if IH still had it.

I was thinking that as well, although in fairness they may have accepted a lower offer.    But yeah.   

3 minutes ago, Bronty said:

I was thinking that as well, although in fairness they may have accepted a lower offer.    But yeah.   

Offers, always, but I don't think we get from $50k down to the lower numbers people are throwing about. Mid-appeal Addams have been $20-25k for at least fifteen years. Assuming this image is as good as it sounds, then $50k is just fine, fmv to me.

5 hours ago, Bronty said:

Ehh.   How many works did picasso do?   Or in comic art, kirby?   Or in strip art, Schulz?     huge numbers all.    If its something people care about, the fact there are lots of pieces out there doesn't matter that much.     Yes, scarcity can drive prices up too (see calvin and hobbes) but your supply side argument isn't that relevant when we are looking at data points between 10-40k already.    If there are so many of them and if that's such a problem, why did that nice example get 40k?   And why is it so hard to imagine a similar or better piece being priced a little higher at retail?

I just don't know why we are assuming something we haven't even seen wasn't worth it.    I get the sense that you just don't see the value in it, and that's fine, there are pieces I don't feel are worth what the market does, either.   And its also possible it was flat overpriced.    Who knows. 

I was actually making a more generic comment: Addams' stuff was preserved, unlike, for example Golden Age OA.

But regarding your examples, even there, scarcity plays a role. An early Picasso from his Cubist period will be worth a lot more than one from his last years. And while there is a lot of Kirby art, how many Golden Age Kirby Captain America pages are there as compared to his 1970's work? In both cases, the price point is higher, but it is still generally relative (once you account for things like special issues, first time appearances, etc.).

By the way, I think an investment in a Schulz page is more likely to have long term growth than most comic art because it has been widely accessible for years and is still being run (or rather, Rerun, pun intended). But that's for another day. 

21 minutes ago, Rick2you2 said:

I was actually making a more generic comment: Addams' stuff was preserved, unlike, for example Golden Age OA.

But regarding your examples, even there, scarcity plays a role. An early Picasso from his Cubist period will be worth a lot more than one from his last years. And while there is a lot of Kirby art, how many Golden Age Kirby Captain America pages are there as compared to his 1970's work? In both cases, the price point is higher, but it is still generally relative (once you account for things like special issues, first time appearances, etc.).

By the way, I think an investment in a Schulz page is more likely to have long term growth than most comic art because it has been widely accessible for years and is still being run (or rather, Rerun, pun intended). But that's for another day. 

A picasso from his cubist period isn't worth more than a later work because of scarcity.    Its worth more because of desirability.    The earliest picassos are worth less than "prime" period ones.    Its not the age or scarcity of it.     Student works of fine artists are more rare than professional works but no one is paying more for the student works.      

Alternatively, your position that late picassos are worth less is incongruent with your using a 1984 Addams as a data point in the discussion above.

You're all over the place ;):foryou:

Scarcity plays a role in the price of everything, so does demand, we both know that.    Neither one of those facts speaks to whether an Addams can be worth 50k or not.     

Schulz is awesome for sure.    Actually, come to think of it, he's kind of on my bucket list!

Edited by Bronty

1 hour ago, Bronty said:

A picasso from his cubist period isn't worth more than a later work because of scarcity.    Its worth more because of desirability.    The earliest picassos are worth less than "prime" period ones.    Its not the age or scarcity of it.     Student works of fine artists are more rare than professional works but no one is paying more for the student works.      

Alternatively, your position that late picassos are worth less is incongruent with your using a 1984 Addams as a data point in the discussion above.

You're all over the place ;):foryou:

Scarcity plays a role in the price of everything, so does demand, we both know that.    Neither one of those facts speaks to whether an Addams can be worth 50k or not.     

Schulz is awesome for sure.    Actually, come to think of it, he's kind of on my bucket list!

I fell into one of the traps created by generalizing; but yes, I generally agree.

Edited by Rick2you2

If I am unrealistic, I would say a Jackson Pollock from his prime period but since I don't have a spare 8 to 9 figures to spend I would say

1.  Charles Schultz - I still think this is realistic but I want to get one that speaks to me while not requiring departing with a kidney.

2.  D ick Sprang - I have tried to get a piece a couple of times but never won anything.  I would prefer a page from one of the comics but some of his recreations are amazing.

There are lots of other thing I would love to have and I have knocked off a lot of stuff on my list.

1.  Kirby pre-hero monster splash

2.  Black Panther 23 cover.  Would never have imagined owning my childhood favorite cover.

3.  Two of Norm Breyfogles iconic Batman covers

4.  Kirby Demon Splash

5.  Two Buscema Avengers splashes inked by Tom Palmer.

6.  Hulk splash

When I make a "Bucket List" for art it is shockingly sad, as it's become more of a Phuket List than a Bucket list.
Most of my wants are pieces I could have had if I hadn't been buying guitars and such at the time I passed on them back "in the day".

The one that I'd love to have, never had a real shot at, and see as pie in the sky even today would be published Watterson of course.

Maybe another Sandman page or two.

I would love to have a number of other artists, but can't make myself spend today's dollars on what I could have had then. Or maybe I just didn't want them as bad as the art I did buy back then?If I'd bought pieces from Jamie Hernandez, Bolland, Hewlett, etc. They were affordable. Even back in the late 90s, the Bolland was a bit of a pricey tomato, but still I could find work I liked and it wasn't out of the realm of possibility. I remember flipping though STACKS of Tank Girl pages at Scott Eder's booth at SDCC, and I ended up thinking I'd find a better example later, but didn't actively pursue it. This was ages before the Gorillaz saw his profile skyrocket. Prior to Hewlett's involvement in that project, Tank Girl art was a bit like a lot of underground art. It had a cultish following, and pricing was maybe a couple hundred bucks for a great example, if you wanted to make a splash. You could have bought run of the mill pages for under $100 all day long. I kick myself every so often for what I could have had. But then I go home, look at what I do have, and it doesn't sting so bad.

And then there's the issue of how to work them into the collection I do have up now.  That's another thing that's kept me from adding even more. I kinda wish I had another room. :)

Overall, I'm quite content tho. I find it really difficult to put together wishlist time pages. I just know things that will be a good fit when I see it.

-e.