• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

What artist is on your collecting bucket list?
1 1

61 posts in this topic

22 minutes ago, jjonahjameson11 said:

I had to do a double-take when I saw  Parsonavich mentioned in the same breath as Romita Sr, but I get it.  I was following a lot of titles during the black and white boom and  I really enjoyed his quirky art style (so bad that it’s good).  And Romita Sr has always been one of my favs.

The way that last sentence was going I thought you were going to say " and romita has always been - so bad he's good too."  As a way to tie it all together. And also as a nod to all the romita haters in the other thread.

Edited by Panelfan1

Since my serious collecting started back in about 85ish, the artist that are on my bucket list are:

Stan Sakai - Just bought 2 covers of his so that box is checked.

Michael Turner - Still looking

Todd McFarlane - Still looking

Jim Lee - Still looking

Gregg Capullo - Still looking

Kevin Eastman - Still looking

Just to add to the list, I'm probably going to be budgeting about $10-15K for each artist.  Except for Sakai, I havent seen anything that high yet.  And this will probably be about a 5 year plan, one every 1/1.5 years.  

Screen Shot 2018-02-26 at 4.58.34 PM.png

IMG_0773.jpeg

I recently checked off an artists from my bucket list, Dan Smith a very very obscure turn of the last century artist who Mark Schultz turned me on to.

dan smith.jpg

Four other artists on my bucket list are:

D i c k Sprang

sprangrememebrs.jpg

The Secrets of the Batcave.jpg

Joe Shuster

superman.jpg

Alberto Vargas

vargas.jpg

vargas-girls---20_yhtqzv.jpeg

Charles Addams

addams greetings.jpg

The_Skier_3023315b.jpg

Edited by Brian Peck

I have a lot of artists I would like to get an example from, too many to name honestly. The ones that come to mind admittedly are Gene Colan, John Romita Sr. and Jr. page, and Miller.

I was able to add a Ditko page recently which was happy about. Also both Buscemas and a Sienkiewicz, Kirby, Kubert, And Dave Stevens are people I was able to get an example of that I didn't think was possible but am happy to have.

Edited by DeadpoolJr.
adding

On 4/3/2018 at 11:09 PM, Brian Peck said:

Charles Addams

addams greetings.jpg

The_Skier_3023315b.jpg

Good Lord!! I love these!!!

I'd love to have:

Larson - Far Side

Watterson - C&H

Dave Stevens - anything with one of his "girls"

Kirby - FF

Romita - ASM

McFarlane - ASM or McSpidey

Ditko - Spidey

That said, I don't see myself dropping the $$$ required for any of those pieces.  

8 minutes ago, chrisco37 said:

I'd love to have:

Larson - Far Side

Watterson - C&H

Dave Stevens - anything with one of his "girls"

Kirby - FF

Romita - ASM

McFarlane - ASM or McSpidey

Ditko - Spidey

That said, I don't see myself dropping the $$$ required for any of those pieces.  

Does Watterson even have original C&H art for sale?  I can only imagine how much those would fetch.

9 minutes ago, chrisco37 said:

No. Most have been donated.  I think there are a few originals out there in the wild, but very limited.   Lots of fakes though.  

They appear on HA once a year or thereabouts.  I think there’s one included in the upcoming auction 

7 hours ago, comix4fun said:

Good Lord!! I love these!!!

While I imagine these would cost a  tiny (big ?) Fortune today - I have a small related story. 2 or 3 years ago at sdcc  - Illustration House had a color portrait of the Addams family by Charles Addams. It may have been used for tv guide, but can't recall. It was sitting in a garage sale type frame, on the floor in the back of the booth. When I enquired about the price - it was $50,000. I thought at that price it at least should have been in a sturdy looking frame - but apparently they felt it was more authentic to sell framed art the way they got it. Clearly at some point - whomever framed it, didn't think of it as a $50,000 piece of art. Alas - those were the days to get these things on a working man' s budget.

1 hour ago, Panelfan1 said:

While I imagine these would cost a  tiny (big ?) Fortune today - I have a small related story. 2 or 3 years ago at sdcc  - Illustration House had a color portrait of the Addams family by Charles Addams. It may have been used for tv guide, but can't recall. It was sitting in a garage sale type frame, on the floor in the back of the booth. When I enquired about the price - it was $50,000. I thought at that price it at least should have been in a sturdy looking frame - but apparently they felt it was more authentic to sell framed art the way they got it. Clearly at some point - whomever framed it, didn't think of it as a $50,000 piece of art. Alas - those were the days to get these things on a working man' s budget.

At 50k, you’re paying solely for the art.  The frame isn’t even in the equation.  Sure, a good frame up didn’t hurt it, but it didn’t help it either.  At that price, you’re paying solely for the art.

12 minutes ago, chrisco37 said:

At 50k, you’re paying solely for the art.  The frame isn’t even in the equation.  Sure, a good frame up didn’t hurt it, but it didn’t help it either.  At that price, you’re paying solely for the art.

They aren't all that high. http://www.chrisbeetles.com/gallery/american/be-best-back-business-if-he-could-keep-his-mind-game.html

Here are some from 2017: https://www.swanngalleries.com/about/charles-addams

Edited by Rick2you2

1 hour ago, Rick2you2 said:

I think the second link suggests a large color piece that's special in any way could be 50k?  After all some of those are 15,20k and somewhat lacklustre.    The only one with a nice shot of the Addams Family in that link is from 1984 and it shows!

Edited by Bronty

Heritage's archives don't have any big family color shots either.    Mostly less desirable stuff.    2-9k kind of range

HOWEVER, the only published one with an Addams Family character (Fester) sold for 40k     https://fineart.ha.com/itm/illustration-art/charles-samuel-addams-american-1912-1988-sad-movie-new-yorker-magazine-cartoon-illustration-march/a/5090-78002.s?ic4=GalleryView-Thumbnail-071515

So.... hard to say but 50k may not have been completely crazy, depending.  

1 hour ago, chrisco37 said:

You are right - but that wasn' my point. I was thinking about the way the art was treated. The respect in other words that the art got.  Sitting in a broken frame on the ground at the back.  Just thought it was interesting to witness. 

9 hours ago, ExNihilo said:

Does Watterson even have original C&H art for sale?  I can only imagine how much those would fetch.

As quoted from this Feb 2018 Market Report:

"Almost all of Watterson’s C&H original artwork is held by Ohio State University’s Billy Ireland Cartoon Library & Museum, with the few pieces coming to market largely having been gifts from Watterson to friends. As such, public availability of daily (and especially Sunday) strips is miniscule, and values correspondingly astronomical! Prices for C&H dailies have been hovering in the $70k-80k band for the past couple years; is this near-$100k mark the new normal?"