• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Stan Lee signing at Silicon Valley
1 1

33 posts in this topic

Given what's been going on with his health / all the news surrounding the people close to him, is he really going to be there? Would've thought it would be unlikely, but if he makes it, that would be awesome to see him out again!

15 hours ago, CKinTO said:

Given what's been going on with his health / all the news surrounding the people close to him, is he really going to be there? Would've thought it would be unlikely, but if he makes it, that would be awesome to see him out again!

He literally announced last week so id say higher than normal.  

7 hours ago, Drbearsec said:

He literally announced last week so id say higher than normal.  

I saw Todd McFarlane posted on his Facebook page yesterday a really nice summary of an hour-long meet he had with Stan at Stan's home in late March. Stan seemed to be alright, though Todd did mention Stan definitely looked like a "95-year old"... hopefully Stan's feeling better.

22 hours ago, sorb3t said:

A big thanks to Celestial Comics for arranging to be there for the Stan Lee signing at SVCC and taking submissions for CGC Signature Series. It is very much appreciated!

Yes.  Thanks for hitching up the gravy train again.

1 hour ago, Transplant said:

Yes.  Thanks for hitching up the gravy train again.

You don't know me.

Also, whatever you're suggesting regarding a gravy train (Definition: used to refer to a situation in which someone can make a lot of money for very little effort) is unclear and depending on how you meant it or if it was directed at me (again, not clear) it is not appreciated. If you're gonna take shots, at least put on some glasses and make it clear what you're aiming at.

2 minutes ago, sorb3t said:

You don't know me.

Also, whatever you're suggesting regarding a gravy train (Definition: used to refer to a situation in which someone can make a lot of money for very little effort) is unclear and depending on how you meant it or if it was directed at me (again, not clear) it is not appreciated. If you're gonna take shots, at least put on some glasses and make it clear what you're aiming at.

I really can't tell if you're serious or not (you know, on the account of not knowing you.)  /s

But if you are seriously offended, chill out.

"Gravy: Mostly used in the context of it's good, great or delicious. It may also be used in the context of if something is without hassle or without a problem."

I'm pretty sure he was paying them a compliment for providing services.

27 minutes ago, ExNihilo said:

I really can't tell if you're serious or not (you know, on the account of not knowing you.)  /s

But if you are seriously offended, chill out.

"Gravy: Mostly used in the context of it's good, great or delicious. It may also be used in the context of if something is without hassle or without a problem."

I'm pretty sure he was paying them a compliment for providing services.

Yeah I might have been a little reactive. Coming from someone who advertises themselves as passive aggressive, I certainly was primed to see some of the not so positive aspects of the somewhat ambiguous comment that was made. You have to admit that there are some not so positive connotations of the term gravy train.

9 minutes ago, sorb3t said:

Yeah I might have been a little reactive. Coming from someone who advertises themselves as passive aggressive, I certainly was primed to see some of the not so positive aspects of the somewhat ambiguous comment that was made. You have to admit that there are some not so positive connotations of the term gravy train.

Lighten up, Francis. Note the “again”at the end there. The post was to insinuate that DWC is back on the Stan Lee SS $$$ crack pipe. Bad news for those who like timely service and not missing books and not watching them ding books. 

Edited by Transplant

https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/features/stan-lee-needs-a-hero-elder-abuse-claims-a-battle-aging-marvel-creator-1101229

My Dad is over 80 and still subscribes to the Hollywood Reporter. He sent me this link.

Even he knows who Stan Lee is and was saddened to hear about his situation. I attended many SDCC back in the 90's and early 2000's and saw Stan around but I never wanted a signature. I'm glad I stuck to my tastes and not speculated. I still have SDCC signed books by Barry Windsor Smith and Al Williamson. Even CC Beck!

41 minutes ago, Comixculture said:

https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/features/stan-lee-needs-a-hero-elder-abuse-claims-a-battle-aging-marvel-creator-1101229

My Dad is over 80 and still subscribes to the Hollywood Reporter. He sent me this link.

Even he knows who Stan Lee is and was saddened to hear about his situation. I attended many SDCC back in the 90's and early 2000's and saw Stan around but I never wanted a signature. I'm glad I stuck to my tastes and not speculated. I still have SDCC signed books by Barry Windsor Smith and Al Williamson. Even CC Beck!

Take the article with a grain of salt for now. All the accusations I read seem to come from disgruntled former employees who may or may not have an agenda. Yet it is clear thise people want to paint JC in a bad light because money is involved. We don't know the full story.

What we do know his lines have been handled like this for some years now and his health has been slowly declining as each year goes by.

He falls asleep in the middle of a signature, can't see what he is signing, and signs so fast most people don't get the experience they want. 

Its just now either this is the Stan we can expect to see from now on in that video or he is recovering from pneumonia still and it is still effecting him some. What we do know is that if the fighting over his estate was not happening right now we probably would never have seen this story.

Which leaves it on the hands of showrunners now clearly stating hey we want Stan here we know he is a draw, but we can't continue to allow this treatment to go on so either you limit the number of signatures and photo ops to something he can more handle maybe 200 a day of each and you adjust yoir price higher so we can meet his autograph guarantee or we are not having him

On 4/9/2018 at 3:52 PM, sorb3t said:

A big thanks to Celestial Comics for arranging to be there for the Stan Lee signing at SVCC and taking submissions for CGC Signature Series. It is very much appreciated!

A huge thanks to all of the fans that came out to support Stan in his return to conventions. We look forward to the possibility of handling more convention signings in the future, wherever they may be. It has always been Desert Wind’s goal to try our best to provide fans with the opportunity to get their comic memorabilia signed by some of the comic greats still signing today. Make sure to check out our Legends Tour quickly approaching.

4 hours ago, Celestial Comics said:

A huge thanks to all of the fans that came out to support Stan in his return to conventions. We look forward to the possibility of handling more convention signings in the future, wherever they may be. It has always been Desert Wind’s goal to try our best to provide fans with the opportunity to get their comic memorabilia signed by some of the comic greats still signing today. Make sure to check out our Legends Tour quickly approaching.

Do you have any concerns about Stan's well-being or is the goal simply to maximize the amount of signatures being produced?

3 hours ago, Ryan. said:

Do you have any concerns about Stan's well-being or is the goal simply to maximize the amount of signatures being produced?

I'm not sure what you were trying to imply here.  They are just there to provide a service that fans want.  Now that Stan has an entirely new management team, no one had made any arrangements for the CGC crowd.  CC stepped in to fix the problem.  And the fact the CC deals with a huge stable of ICONS in this industry, they are more than qualified to offer their services like this.  But you've been around the block, you should know this.

7 hours ago, RadiantGraphix said:

I'm not sure what you were trying to imply here.  They are just there to provide a service that fans want.  Now that Stan has an entirely new management team, no one had made any arrangements for the CGC crowd.  CC stepped in to fix the problem.  And the fact the CC deals with a huge stable of ICONS in this industry, they are more than qualified to offer their services like this.  But you've been around the block, you should know this.

Just because something can be done doesn't necessarily mean it should be.

On 4/10/2018 at 5:23 PM, Transplant said:

Lighten up, Francis. Note the “again”at the end there. The post was to insinuate that DWC is back on the Stan Lee SS $$$ crack pipe. Bad news for those who like timely service and not missing books and not watching them ding books. 

Funny Stripes reference there chief. Thanks for the clarification.

On 4/11/2018 at 7:11 PM, Ryan. said:

Just because something can be done doesn't necessarily mean it should be.

Way overthinking. You have no way of knowing for sure if those funds of signing items are helping keep his health by providing income to pay for his healthcare, his way of life and household bills (who knows for sure his financial situation) or even the other side of people possibly taking advantage of him. That may have been happening for years. It's not up to them to make those types of moral judgments unless it is 100% clear there is damage being done by providing business to them. I am sure Desert Wind would not provide business if they felt 100% it was hurting Stan.