• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Metropolis Comics - Correct grading
2 2

57 posts in this topic

I'm sorry if it's been discussed before. Can't find it. Metropolis good a grading raw books? Thinking about getting some and I believe we've discussed CC and CL, but not Metro

as always, thanks...

20 minutes ago, NoMan said:

I'm sorry if it's been discussed before. Can't find it. Metropolis good a grading raw books? Thinking about getting some and I believe we've discussed CC and CL, but not Metro

as always, thanks...

FYI, CC and Metro are the same company. (thumbsu 

I've only purchased a handful of raw books from Metropolis.  My experience has been more pleasant.  From the books I've gotten, I thought their grading was spot on. 

Edited by Brian48

Resurrecting an old thread instead of starting a new one.  

I recently got absolutely hosed on 2 raw books I bought from Metropolis:

House of Secrets 100 - sold as a 9.2 by Metropolis 

House of Secrets 110 - sold as an 8.5 by Metropolis 

Just got them back from CGC after a press and clean.

Both graded at 7.0... ouch.  Don't think I'll be buying any more raw comics from Metropolis 

On 1/11/2023 at 12:27 PM, GWO said:

Both graded at 7.0... ouch.  Don't think I'll be buying any more raw comics from Metropolis 

you're lucky those raw books didn't have undisclosed restoration!!!

On 1/11/2023 at 9:27 AM, GWO said:

Out of curiosity, did they appear to you like a 9.2 and 8.5 before pressing/grading? That's a pretty big drop, what did the grader's notes say?

On 1/11/2023 at 11:38 PM, Tnexus said:

Out of curiosity, did they appear to you like a 9.2 and 8.5 before pressing/grading? That's a pretty big drop, what did the grader's notes say?

I thought the 9.2 looked pretty good.  A few minor imperfections, but I thought I'd get a 9 at the very least, especially after the press.  I figured worse case an 8.5.  There was a *very* small nick on the back that I figured might knock it down a bit, but didn't expect to get nailed so badly.  This was the first time I've sent anything in for pressing and grading, so my eye isn't the best trained to estimate grades.  I should've had someone else look at them before submitting 

Here are the notes:

very light spine stress lines breaks color
very small crease right bottom of front cover breaks color
very small tear right top of back cover

I just figured it would be within a reasonable range of what Metropolis listed it as. That HoS 100 was near the top of my list, so I'm fairly disappointed.  Ah well, back on the hunt

Edited by GWO

On 1/11/2023 at 9:13 PM, GWO said:

I thought the 9.2 looked pretty good.  A few minor imperfections, but I thought I'd get a 9 at the very least, especially after the press.  I figured worse case an 8.5.  There was a *very* small nick on the back that I figured might knock it down a bit, but didn't expect to get nailed so badly.  This was the first time I've sent anything in for pressing and grading, so my eye isn't the best trained to estimate grades.  I should've had someone else look at them before submitting 

Here are the notes:

very light spine stress lines breaks color
very small crease right bottom of front cover breaks color
very small tear right top of back cover

I just figured it would be within a reasonable range of what Metropolis listed it as. That HoS 100 was near the top of my list, so I'm fairly disappointed.  Ah well, back on the hunt

I'm not the best pre-modern grader but that still sounds off. What page color did they end up with?

On 1/12/2023 at 12:56 PM, Tnexus said:

I'm not the best pre-modern grader but that still sounds off. What page color did they end up with?

I thought it seemed a bit off too.  But again, being my first submission, I wasn't really sure if my perception of what a 7.0 should look like is inaccurate. 

The page color is cream to off white.  Is page color not independent of the overall grade though?  

I attached the original scan from Metropolis for reference (that isn't a chunk out of the back cover.  It's just a misalignment that I assume was corrected in the press)

Judging from the scan alone, would you guys say it was a bad estimate by Metropolis or a harsh grade by CGC?

hou2.377a.jpg

Edited by GWO

I made a handful of purchases from Metro over the years.  Most in the mail order days, and nothing very expensive.  My last purchase was in 2016 -- this Showgirls #2 that Metro graded as a 2.0 GD.  Not quite, gentlemen -- this copy is missing the first interior leaf (interior pages 1-2) and is therefore a 0.5 PR (Incomplete):cry:  Hey, even the best sellers occasionally whiff, right.  But when I called Metro to alert them to their error, I was told that, "Grading is subjective."  D-oh!  :facepalm:  An arrogant, inappropriate, and totally unacceptable response -- and the last time I did business with 'em.

Show-02.thumb.jpg.f98fda0cf63ab3ec61d974bfad70be05.jpg Show-02x1.thumb.jpg.34160da1845610279cd3127b6cfc3ddc.jpg

On 1/11/2023 at 10:27 AM, GWO said:

unfortunately, par for their course

On 1/13/2023 at 4:37 AM, zzutak said:

I made a handful of purchases from Metro over the years.  Most in the mail order days, and nothing very expensive.  My last purchase was in 2016 -- this Showgirls #2 that Metro graded as a 2.0 GD.  Not quite, gentlemen -- this copy is missing the first interior leaf (interior pages 1-2) and is therefore a 0.5 PR (Incomplete):cry:  Hey, even the best sellers occasionally whiff, right.  But when I called Metro to alert them to their error, I was told that, "Grading is subjective."  D-oh!  :facepalm:  An arrogant, inappropriate, and totally unacceptable response -- and the last time I did business with 'em.

Show-02.thumb.jpg.f98fda0cf63ab3ec61d974bfad70be05.jpg Show-02x1.thumb.jpg.34160da1845610279cd3127b6cfc3ddc.jpg

I wish we had an angry emoticon.

I've received incomplete books from them in the past, undisclosed resto and gross over grading, plus a phony pedigee(Metro said an early.Whiz was a Pennsylvania copy; CGC and other experts said it was not. I could go and on,.as could many others here(including our esteemed moderator). I wouldn't be surprised if MyComicShop has overtaken them as the leader of.the back issue market.