• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Superman vs Doomsday - 22 years later !
1 1

4 posts in this topic

Hi guys,

I wanted to share with you my first commission (of sorts) story:

The fantastic artist Derec Donovan (who for years went by the pen and brush name 'Derek Aucoin'),
posted some cool examples of his commission work on a FB post, on which I've commented;
Since I owned a Superman vs Doomsday published page he'd drawn back in 1996, I asked him whether he'd
tackled the character ever since. He couldn't recall when exactly was the last time he drew Doomsday
(thought he'd just done a few panels with him). I didn't want to bother him all too much, so out of curiosity (nerdism)
I started looking up my old issues of his run on ADVENTURES OF SUPERMAN in search for another Doomsday,
but came up with nothing. Lo and behold - the next day, I got a message from Derec with this incredible all-new piece
he'd just finished drawing ! Of course I've had to have it ! I never thought I'd dip my toes in the commissioning pool,
but this wonderful experience made me finally understand the excitement and joy of this side of the hobby.

So here is Superman vs Doomsday, 22 years later (or is it 21 ?):

http://www.comicartfans.com/galleryPiece.asp?Piece=1462444&GSub=0&GCat=5981&UCat=5981

Cheers,
Gal

7 hours ago, Gal Schwartz said:

Hi guys,

I wanted to share with you my first commission (of sorts) story:

The fantastic artist Derec Donovan (who for years went by the pen and brush name 'Derek Aucoin'),
posted some cool examples of his commission work on a FB post, on which I've commented;
Since I owned a Superman vs Doomsday published page he'd drawn back in 1996, I asked him whether he'd
tackled the character ever since. He couldn't recall when exactly was the last time he drew Doomsday
(thought he'd just done a few panels with him). I didn't want to bother him all too much, so out of curiosity (nerdism)
I started looking up my old issues of his run on ADVENTURES OF SUPERMAN in search for another Doomsday,
but came up with nothing. Lo and behold - the next day, I got a message from Derec with this incredible all-new piece
he'd just finished drawing ! Of course I've had to have it ! I never thought I'd dip my toes in the commissioning pool,
but this wonderful experience made me finally understand the excitement and joy of this side of the hobby.

So here is Superman vs Doomsday, 22 years later (or is it 21 ?):

http://www.comicartfans.com/galleryPiece.asp?Piece=1462444&GSub=0&GCat=5981&UCat=5981

Cheers,
Gal

cool story. If i got it wrong - feel free to correct me - but he did the art first, then you saw it then you got it? or did you commission it blindly and then love it after it was done. Asking because i don't have a problem with buying art that was drawn first - if i like it. Blind commissions are more of a gamble in my view which is why I generally shy away from getting them.

4 hours ago, Panelfan1 said:

cool story. If i got it wrong - feel free to correct me - but he did the art first, then you saw it then you got it? or did you commission it blindly and then love it after it was done. Asking because i don't have a problem with buying art that was drawn first - if i like it. Blind commissions are more of a gamble in my view which is why I generally shy away from getting them.

The cool part is that I didn't initially commission it, my inquiry about the character somewhat inspired Derec to create the piece shortly after (it wasn't a predone art).
He was kind to offer it to me and obviously I jumped at the opportunity (as I'm sure it'd have been snagged in minutes had I not).

For those interested, Derec created a cool video showing the inking process of the piece:
https://www.twitch.tv/videos/244463054

Cheers,
Gal

Yeah, I think what Panelfan was getting at was whether you put up the money and then it was drawn, or was it drawn before you'd seen it.

When you put the money up with no idea of what you will be getting back, I think that most folks consider that a true "commission", and when you buy a completed drawing that is offered to you, that's not so much a commission as buying available art. Though there are some artists that wont take any money until a piece is done. They are exceedingly rare though. And for good reason. Most don't want to do the work of a custom drawing for someone, and then risk being stuck with it if the commissioner bails after the fact, for any variety of reasons.

Though the story of you contacting the artist to ask about his art, and him being inspired enough to draw something and offer it to you for sale is a nice gesture.

-e.