• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Artists Editions discussion
4 4

77 posts in this topic

1 hour ago, Peter L said:

Has the Bill Sienkievich artist edition book come out yet?  Searching on the internet says it has but I can't find any copies and none for sale on ebay.

Looks like it was released and quickly sold out?  IDW website says: "SORRY - THIS ITEM IS NOT AVAILABLE FROM THE IDW WEBSITE AT THIS TIME. PLEASE VISIT YOUR LOCAL RETAILER."  and there is a copy on ebay for $400

https://www.ebay.com/itm/SIGNED-NUMBERED-Bill-Sienkiewicz-Mutants-Moon-Knights-Elektra-Artifact-Edition/253978947356?hash=item3b22532f1c:g:oMwAAOSw8L5b6lWg:rk:1:pf:0

Thanks for the suggestions.  I went to ebay and saw that copy which is the signed and numbered edition and then I googled it, and then I found this new signed and numbered edition on the IDW page.  I couldn't find it clicking through.  So if you are interested you might want to buy it right away.  I just did.

https://www.idwpublishing.com/product/bill-sienkiewiczs-mutants-and-moon-knights-artifact-edition-variant/

On 11/17/2018 at 2:59 PM, Peter L said:

Thanks for the suggestions.  I went to ebay and saw that copy which is the signed and numbered edition and then I googled it, and then I found this new signed and numbered edition on the IDW page.  I couldn't find it clicking through.  So if you are interested you might want to buy it right away.  I just did.

https://www.idwpublishing.com/product/bill-sienkiewiczs-mutants-and-moon-knights-artifact-edition-variant/

Thanks for the link. Picked up a copy. (thumbsu

On 11/15/2018 at 9:55 PM, mking78 said:

Not that I will be around long enough for it to matter (and understanding the “original box” argument) but the worst place to store an Aritist Edition is in a cardboard box

To you young folks it is stunning just how quick paper products degrade next to the wrong backing/storage, especially in higher humidity and temps.  

Lots of yellow art out there, and lots of yellowed books.  Just waiting for Mylar Artist Editions Sleeves😀

Would regular polypropylene work? It breathes and would be more accessible in bag form.

On 11/15/2018 at 6:55 PM, mking78 said:

Not that I will be around long enough for it to matter (and understanding the “original box” argument) but the worst place to store an Aritist Edition is in a cardboard box

To you young folks it is stunning just how quick paper products degrade next to the wrong backing/storage, especially in higher humidity and temps.  

Lots of yellow art out there, and lots of yellowed books.  Just waiting for Mylar Artist Editions Sleeves😀

Thanks for pointing this out.  It never even occurred to me that this would happen.  Then I suppose it's better to remove the book from the box.  I thought it would hold its resale value better in the original box but I can see how that would be worse in the long run.

36 minutes ago, Rick2you2 said:

Would regular polypropylene work? It breathes and would be more accessible in bag form.

I think it would but for a much shorter time than mylar.  There was a great article on this in an old Overstreet guide from the 1980s that compared archival materials and how long they preserve paper for and scientific data.  If you find such a bag for the Artist Editions then let me know.  

Many years ago I read about an old book fair in Santa Monica so I went. It was not really my thing but I was interested.  I saw a beautiful book from the 1880s of Pre-Raphelite poetry that I considered buying and maybe I should have now looking back.  But the pages were yellowed and brittle.

1 hour ago, Rick2you2 said:

How short is short? I don't know of any bags mylar bags available in that size.

It's been a a long time since I read the article.   Something like 5 years of storage but mylar gives you 20 years.  Eventually mylar needs to be changed out eventually too.  I'll see if I can find the article.  

Yes mylar is a problem because except for the thinnest like mylites, it is not flexible and would not do well going around a large book.  I suppose you could get a big L sleeve mylar that is opened at two ends and put the book in that like a pita.  

Edited by Peter L

6 minutes ago, Peter L said:

It's been a a long time since I read the article.   Something like 5 years of storage but mylar gives you 20 years.  Eventually mylar needs to be changed out eventually too.  I'll see if I can find the article.  

Yes mylar is a problem because except for the thinnest like mylites, it is not flexible and would not do well going around a large book.  I suppose you could get a big L sleeve mylar that is opened at two ends and put the book in that like a pita.  

So 5 years in obtainable plastic bags vs. hard to use and maybe unobtainable bags.

How about lining the inside of the cardboard box with acid free paper (or comic backing boards)??

I think there's enough room for such a thing.  It doesn't do much to protect from the gases.  But I think it avoids direct contact with the cardboard.

Edited by Will_K

5 hours ago, Will_K said:

How about lining the inside of the cardboard box with acid free paper (or comic backing boards)??

I think there's enough room for such a thing.  It doesn't do much to protect from the gases.  But I think it avoids direct contact with the cardboard.

If I recall, even acid free backing boards even absorb acid and so become bad after awhile.  So the cardboard box acid would quickly go through paper.  

On 11/22/2018 at 12:39 PM, Rick2you2 said:

Polypropylene is not archival.  Polyethylene is archival, and is more flexible than polyester (mylar), though not as clear.

You can get mylar sheets that are large enough for an AE, and use those e.g. to isolate AEs from each other (so they don't stick together if laid on top of each other) and from a bookcase (which will emit damaging substances)

On 11/22/2018 at 1:22 PM, Peter L said:

I saw a beautiful book from the 1880s of Pre-Raphelite poetry that I considered buying and maybe I should have now looking back.  But the pages were yellowed and brittle.

Artists editions are printed on acid-free paper (at least those from IDW).

FWIW you can get microchamber paper for your art (which otherwise will be outlived by your artists editions).

Hoping this is the appropriate thread for this...

PSA for Jim Lee fans, IDW's Jim Lee DC Legends Artifact Edition is now available for pre-order.  I know this book has been pushed back since May (I believe), but I just pre-ordered mine for $100.  A google search will bring up several vendors offering pre-orders.

https://www.idwpublishing.com/product/jim-lee-dc-legends-artifact-edition/

11 hours ago, Peter L said:

I've never heard of microchamber paper.  How are you supposed to use it?  Do you wrap the art or paperwork in it?

I put the art in mylar sleeves with acid-free backing boards, stored in large portfolios.  I put the microchamber paper behind the art, between it and the backing board.

People do as much for comics, and art is much more valuable (as in, irreplaceable).