• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Artists Editions discussion
4 4

77 posts in this topic

Conqueror Worm / Box Full of evil is gonna be your transition sweet spot, in the arc of Mike's art evolution. Older pieces have darker blacks, but less of the great visionary simplicity of what Mike has distilled his art down into. By that point you have just a little bit of the spotchy blacks. Much more subtle and eye appealing as far as that potential for distraction goes. After those books, the splotchy blacks become more prominent as his ink gets thinner.  FWIW.

And yeah, I always thought the point of the art editions was to hold a repro of holding the art in your hand. Not just a big copy of the comic with everything cleaned up, no colors, and the borders showing. I want to see the tanning paper. The whiteout. The creases and even the snot blast, cause you know artists sneeze.  :)

Edited by ESeffinga

Re: Mylar - the recommendation by BCW is large poly bag as it stretches with the weight of the book instead of tearing. The bags used for “Ditko is...” large format books can be used.

Re: AE generally. I have Hellboy, Thor (Simonson), LE GXM Cockrum, Bone, and Chinatown (Powell), Grasscutter (Sakai) & Wrightson in the IDW format. They’re all spectacular. I focus on getting the signed/remarked versions If available or the sdcc version which is tricky sometimes. They’re stored in a closet on a good shelf laying flat. I toss the boxes but get why people keep them. In case IDW is reading: WTB Corben & Darrow. aeindex.org is a great resource for these in case it hasn’t been mentioned.

On 9/4/2020 at 3:04 AM, ESeffinga said:

Without knowing anything, it almost looks to me like they printed that from the sort of scan they'd send to Dave Stewart after the black levels had been fixed, and the paper knocked back to a clean white. All Mignola's blacks tend to be "thin" and splotchy. have been for ages. Shame the repro didn't capture that. Were all the pages this black adjusted, or only certain ones?

Was surprised to see the difference. It’s almost as if Scott didn’t get the art that was being compared and only received the pre-color corrected for that page. That edition actually has lots of pages where Mike’s “splotchy” blacks are clearly visible. Guess he couldn’t get hold of that collector.

The weird thing about that to me is that I thought the reason they did the Hellboy in Hell art was because Mike still owned it all at the time and could send it complete to be scanned for repro. Maybe that page had pre-sold or something, or my memory is total garbage? Both seem possible.

11 hours ago, Stevemmg said:

I wasn’t able to find anything by searching, but wondering if there has been a thread to reunite pictures of the Kubert Tarzan Artist Edition sketch cover books?  I haven’t seen the others turn up. I think I have seven of them. 

That sounds cool.

There's at least one that won't be added for a while though: mine. It's original owner and still sealed in shipping box direct from IDW.

I’m not sure if we’re talking about the same thing. I was referring to the 22 books that were adorned with artwork from all different artists and then auctioned off in 2015 with proceeds used to fund a Kubert School scholarship. None of these came sealed.

27E8C9DF-0165-4F16-8864-12B6C54F865B.thumb.jpeg.6ae0a37b22364d2125eed9c26141c34a.jpeg

You’ve given me reason to think about this a bit more. If I remember correctly, there were also the limited interior sketched copies done by Joe Kubert himself, which were cut short in quantity due to his passing. Having pics of these all would be fantastic. A separate thread of all these would be an easy way for people to find it and add their pics. 

Is that the sealed version that you have, Vodou?

On 7/24/2021 at 2:23 PM, cloud cloddie said:

meh, I only bought 2 :devil:

thanks for the heads up :golfclap:

On 7/24/2021 at 4:11 PM, cloud cloddie said:

For sure. Been meaning to pick up the Marvel cover ones for a while, so I just got both of those. 

I have about a dozen but it started getting a bit out of control. I always tell my kids put these on my lap when I am senile and let me look at them. I haven't really looked at a few of the ones I have but got the Steranko Nick Fury and the 2nd Simonson Thor.

poor packaging rant: I just received an AE I purchased on ebay and I was dismayed to see the seller shipped it by just slapping postage on the IDW box... the box absorbed some damage and fortunately the book was ok but it could have easily been banged up worse. seems like it would be common sense to put it inside an oversized box and protect it but I guess common sense ain't so common anymore... 

On 7/24/2021 at 4:20 PM, Bird said:

I have about a dozen but it started getting a bit out of control. I always tell my kids put these on my lap when I am senile and let me look at them. I haven't really looked at a few of the ones I have but got the Steranko Nick Fury and the 2nd Simonson Thor.

want to sell me a byrne xmen one????? :foryou: