• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Artists Editions discussion
4 4

77 posts in this topic

3 hours ago, Taylor G said:

I put the art in mylar sleeves with acid-free backing boards, stored in large portfolios.  I put the microchamber paper behind the art, between it and the backing board.

People do as much for comics, and art is much more valuable (as in, irreplaceable).

Do you get them from Bags Unlimited?

Do they come in various sizes as the art, or you do piece smaller pieces together?

23 minutes ago, Rick2you2 said:

Does art really need to be stored in Mylar sleeves if it is kept in Itoya’s and not subjected to much sunlight? 

The sleeves for the itoyas are polypropylene.  Those portfolios are intended for transport, not for long term archival storage.

This is what E Gerber (a seller of mylar) says:

How does Mylar, which is biaxially extruded polyester film, afford more protection? The poly-bags that most everyone sells are "blown" films, affording very low density and dimensional stability. Mylar is an extruded film that is simultaneously stretched in two directions to give it maximum strength. In fact, it resists penetration by gases, such as oxygen, 300 TIMES more than the poly-bags. As for strength and stability: it is also several hundred times stronger and more stable. Keep in mind, that we are not talking about 4 or 5 times better as compared to their price; we are talking about offering the kind of protection for 100 years which poly-bags cannot offer for even one year.

Honestly, I'd say the environment is the most important factor for archival storage: low heat, low humidity, microchamber paper to absorb emanations.

2 hours ago, Rick2you2 said:

Does art really need to be stored in Mylar sleeves if it is kept in Itoya’s and not subjected to much sunlight? 

1 hour ago, Taylor G said:

Those portfolios are intended for transport, not for long term archival storage.

Correct. Far too much faith is placed in Itoya's, the bestest ever and ever friend of those with substantial hoards of OA. In a moderate stable interior climate (60ish degrees, 60% humidity) away from pipes and other potential liquid situations...it's much better to just stack the art in a pile with wax or other inert isolation paper between each piece. And with that one would just need to rifle through them occasionally (3-4 times a year) to see if dust/mites are settling or if anything otherwise untoward is growing and deal with those situations before they gain traction.

FYI, there's a Sienkiewicz Artifact Edition with a large Warlock sketch currently listed on ebay.

On 11/17/2018 at 1:28 PM, Peter L said:

Has the Bill Sienkievich artist edition book come out yet?  Searching on the internet says it has but I can't find any copies and none for sale on ebay.

16 minutes ago, MIL0S said:

FYI, there's a Sienkiewicz Artifact Edition with a large Warlock sketch currently listed on ebay.

I saw Bill drawing in one of these AEs yesterday, he did not seem to charge for it but that could have happened before I got to the table. Didn't seem like it though.

Yes he was, a minimum of $100 for ‘quickies’. I just posted one to CAF.

28 minutes ago, Bird said:

I saw Bill drawing in one of these AEs yesterday, he did not seem to charge for it but that could have happened before I got to the table. Didn't seem like it though.

On 11/17/2018 at 1:28 PM, Peter L said:

Has the Bill Sienkiewicz artist edition book come out yet?  Searching on the internet says it has but I can't find any copies and none for sale on ebay.

I just got my copy last week - it's great!  

2 minutes ago, malvin said:

heh, there was no way Bill was not going to charge :)

Malvin

I know he is not free but I saw no money change hands, like I said it could have been done before I got there. Or I just missed it. But yes, malvin needs to pay! :sumo:

6 hours ago, MIL0S said:

I found a copy on the IDW website.

I saw him do a large Warlock in an artist edition at Wondercon for someone he knew.  I don't see the ebay link.  I hope it wasn't the same guy that I saw.

16 minutes ago, cloud cloddie said:

Just got the Cockrum Artifact in the mail today. I don’t get a ton of these, but might have to start. Love it. 

53F3F851-774C-4A2D-AA29-DF750E22E1CE.jpeg

5A15DA0E-80F6-4769-A8B5-D97D5A2F5409.jpeg

If you get into these and need any of the out of print ones, I may have one ( or more than one lol ) of some of the earlier ones still sealed that I'd probably be ok parting with.

14 hours ago, comiconxion said:

Agree - this was one of my favorite ones in recent years.  Classic page after classic page - most of which had great character shots/action.  And, some great covers and bonus material.  Thanks to all the collectors that contributed to this one to make it so great.  

Send your cover my way when you are done with it. :)

On 6/25/2020 at 4:45 PM, cloud cloddie said:

Just got the Cockrum Artifact in the mail today. I don’t get a ton of these, but might have to start. Love it. 

53F3F851-774C-4A2D-AA29-DF750E22E1CE.jpeg

5A15DA0E-80F6-4769-A8B5-D97D5A2F5409.jpeg

Looks amazing. My copy of that variant arrives Monday. So excited. The AEINDEX forum said that there are 125 total CC signed variants, 15 of which are reserved for in-house and 10 for replacement copies in the event of shipping damage. All of mine sit out of the box on a shelf and see regular/active use. They will have no resale value and I'm 100% ok with that.

With this hobby breaking up stories and scattering the individual pages to oblivion, I was hoping that at least some of this twentieth century art form would be preserved as artists editions.  Unfortunately the scans are not 100% faithful reproductions:

EhBiQA1U0AEHURw?format=jpg&name=900x900EhBiQA0U4AAXFrW?format=jpg&name=900x900

The Jack Kirby New Gods artists editions is notorious for its mediocre scans.

We don't go to art museums to look at lithographs.

Edited by Taylor G

Without knowing anything, it almost looks to me like they printed that from the sort of scan they'd send to Dave Stewart after the black levels had been fixed, and the paper knocked back to a clean white. All Mignola's blacks tend to be "thin" and splotchy. have been for ages. Shame the repro didn't capture that. Were all the pages this black adjusted, or only certain ones?

2 hours ago, ESeffinga said:

Shame the repro didn't capture that.

To anybody other than slavish art collectors (or newer artists "figuring things out") our complaint here makes no sense. Everyone else wants to see smoothed image version. We though: warts and all, please, pretty please, and we'll pay a lot of money for it too. This is what I want to in an Artist's Edition type book. And oddly enough, not what I want in an original - at least the level of splotchiness in Mignola's blacks-heavy pieces; the splotchiness is super distracting to my eye and has prevented me from being forced to ( lol ) pony up four figures to date for something I'd otherwise really love from a design pov. I have no idea presently if this 'barrier to entry' will eventually become a "whew!" or massive regret down the road...