• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Brittany McManus CGC employee - If you know her you will want to help!!!
8 8

102 posts in this topic

12 minutes ago, Kevlar said:

Hello everyone, for those of you who don't know me, my name is Torrey Quella. I have been a CGC dealer for a while and have gotten to know a lot of the CGC employees over the years and as many will tell you, Brittany McManus is one of everyone's favorite CGC reps including mine.

Brittany was in a boating accident this weekend and had to have emergency surgery on Saturday. The surgery went well but she will be in the hospital for a few weeks and will need some follow up surgeries. I know everyone will want to get specifics on what happened but for her privacy I am being vague and I'm sure she would appreciate the discretion. People have spoken to Brittany...she is in surprisingly good spirits and her family has already posted pictures of her laughing uncontrollably...for those of you who know her well you will know she's one of the most carefree and good hearted people you know!

I have been in contact with a few boardies, CGC employees, convention directors and others that know Brittany and everyone wants to help. As we all know medical insurance doesn't cover everything so we are going to be putting together a charity auction. Some people are looking to donate specific items and will run an auction or ebay, others said they would like to just donate money, etc. How or what you decide to donate is up to you but anything will help.  I am currently waiting to hear back from a 501c3 that helps people raise money for medical bills. This would mean donations would be tax deductible and money put towards her medical bills would not be taxed for her (unlike GoFundMe which is not tax deductible and would be taxed when given to someone). As soon as I have the details on that I will post below!

We have already cleared this with CGC management and they are ok with us helping out one of their employees due to this accident.

If there are any accountants you know, you may want to get a quick rundown on gift tax exemption.

Unless any one person is giving her more than $15,000 by him/herself she shouldn't get hit with any tax on it as long as it's given as a gift, but an accountant will be able to give you the exact parameters and limitations. 

Great idea and really unfortunate to hear about the accident. Have met Brittany at a con before, and have certainly heard about her through the forums - her energy and enthusiasm for comics was obvious, and she was super helpful to me and an ideal representative of CGC (and the comics industry as a whole)

I just met Brittany at WonderCon the weekend before last, and as noted above her positive energy and enthusiasm is contagious. Along with Cynthia Ritchie (who is amazing, too), I have nothing but good things to say about my interactions with the CGC staff.

Best Wishes for a full recovery, and I certainly would like to help out (a PayPal link would be convenient).

1 hour ago, comix4fun said:

If there are any accountants you know, you may want to get a quick rundown on gift tax exemption.

Unless any one person is giving her more than $15,000 by him/herself she shouldn't get hit with any tax on it as long as it's given as a gift, but an accountant will be able to give you the exact parameters and limitations. 

Not an accountant, but I do have some experience with this.  Not taxable to the recipient if the gift from an individual is $15,000 or less ($30,000 or less from a married couple).  But checking with an accountant is never a bad idea.

18 minutes ago, skypinkblu said:

Im on jury duty right now but when i get home will ask my accountant. My guess is we don't know if the new laws changed anything yet. 

Will be glad to help if they ever let me out of here 

Cool...let us know cause I've read about people having tax bills after GoFundMe things.

Smart move with the 501. (thumbsu

Thanks for organizing this! 

Get well soon Brittany! You're great at what you do. :foryou:

Torrey, thank you so much for putting this together.  Brittany is a very special and unique young lady.  Our community on the boards is a very caring and generous community and I have no doubt the donations will be plentiful.  Get well soon Britt, we all can't wait to see that amazing smile again!

4 hours ago, Kevlar said:

Cool...let us know cause I've read about people having tax bills after GoFundMe things.

OK, this is what my husband   the accountant I keep chained in the basement says. 

First off, gofundme is  not a 501 c3, so no one can deduct a donation made through there.. 

As far as donations/gift through gofundme being taxed, it should be the same as if a gift was given, depending on whether gofundme sends 1099's, there should be no problem, but he said no one knows what this year's tax laws will say, very little has been published so far...so in essence, probably not, but he won't swear to anything he's not sure. She will have to keep records, just like we do with charity threads.

Sorry he can't be of more help.

This is what gofundme's page about taxes says.

Taxes and GoFundMe Donations

Donations made to GoFundMe campaigns are usually considered to be "personal gifts" which, for the most part, aren’t taxed as income. 

However, there may be particular case-specific instances where the income is in fact taxable (depending on amounts received, use of the funds, etc.), so we recommend that you maintain adequate records of donations received and consult a tax professional to be sure. GoFundMe will not report your donations as income at the end of the year, or issue any tax documents. Because everyone's situation is different and tax rules can change from time to time, we’re unable to give any tax advice. 

Edited by skypinkblu

6 hours ago, Kevlar said:

Hello everyone, for those of you who don't know me, my name is Torrey Quella. I have been a CGC dealer for a while and have gotten to know a lot of the CGC employees over the years and as many will tell you, Brittany McManus is one of everyone's favorite CGC reps including mine.

Brittany was in a boating accident this weekend and had to have emergency surgery on Saturday. The surgery went well but she will be in the hospital for a few weeks and will need some follow up surgeries. I know everyone will want to get specifics on what happened but for her privacy I am being vague and I'm sure she would appreciate the discretion. People have spoken to Brittany...she is in surprisingly good spirits and her family has already posted pictures of her laughing uncontrollably...for those of you who know her well you will know she's one of the most carefree and good hearted people you know!

I have been in contact with a few boardies, CGC employees, convention directors and others that know Brittany and everyone wants to help. As we all know medical insurance doesn't cover everything so we are going to be putting together a charity auction. Some people are looking to donate specific items and will run an auction or ebay, others said they would like to just donate money, etc. How or what you decide to donate is up to you but anything will help.  I am currently waiting to hear back from a 501c3 that helps people raise money for medical bills. This would mean donations would be tax deductible and money put towards her medical bills would not be taxed for her (unlike GoFundMe which is not tax deductible and would be taxed when given to someone). As soon as I have the details on that I will post below!

We have already cleared this with CGC management and they are ok with us helping out one of their employees due to this accident.

I just read this part. If there is a 501c3 that will accept the donations and give her the money, then people might want to wait until you have the information, because other donations would not be deductible. Also with books, if you purchase a comic, that would not be a donation, you are receiving GOODs. ..unless the law changes. It's the person donating the comic (if it's through a 501c3 ) that could take the donation (if it's the same as last year) no one knows yet.

Edited by skypinkblu