• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Fantastic Four #48 Thread
3 3

50 posts in this topic

11 minutes ago, fantastic_four said:

Just as there were tens of millions of people in this world who would have wanted any of the million dollar houses that tanked in the housing bubble.  The question in any market is how many are willing to pay more than market price for a desirable item to keep pushing it up in price?  When you know the next ComicLink auction will have yet another 9.4 or 9.6 copy of FF 48, that number pushes downward over time in relation to the prospect of being able to buy another 9.4 copy of FF #52 when a copy only shows up every 6 to 12 months.

Tell that to hulk 181, ASM 300, NM 98, Nyx  3, etc.... :baiting:

-J.

12 minutes ago, Jaydogrules said:
25 minutes ago, fantastic_four said:

Just as there were tens of millions of people in this world who would have wanted any of the million dollar houses that tanked in the housing bubble.  The question in any market is how many are willing to pay more than market price for a desirable item to keep pushing it up in price?  When you know the next ComicLink auction will have yet another 9.4 or 9.6 copy of FF 48, that number pushes downward over time in relation to the prospect of being able to buy another 9.4 copy of FF #52 when a copy only shows up every 6 to 12 months.

Tell that to hulk 181, ASM 300, NM 98, Nyx  3, etc.... :baiting:

Those issues are incomparable in terms of supply.  Can you think of a key comparable to FF 48 in terms of supply?  In the Silver Age, the closest comparisons are the late Silver keys, i.e. Cap 100, Hulk 102, etc.  But they pale in terms of significance and demand to FF 48, so they're not great comparative examples.

On April 17, 2018 at 2:03 PM, fantastic_four said:

One additional note about February/March 1966 Marvels that are available in comparatively huge supply--I bet there's a root cause that someone out there knows.  Something like a printing issue that caused a bunch of copies to sit and not be tracked.  All of the issues are present in MULTIPLE warehouse finds; for example they're all in the semi-famous Mile High 2 warehouse buy by Chuck Rozanski at Mile High comics, but it's not just that one, so for whatever reason these issues were sitting undestroyed in warehouses in multiple locations around the country.  Comics from that month also have an infamously bad front-to-back cover wrap, so maybe Marvel switched printers, or they saw the quality control problems with the printer and made them warehouse a bunch of books.  Those are just educated guesses, but I bet there's a root cause someone could potentially identify.  I've heard other people claim over a decade ago in these forums that they can see a distinct difference in the color palettes on different copies of FF #48, but I could never tell that when looking at side-by-side comparisons of the ones that supposedly had different colors.

At one point I had also considered that the high occurrence of miswraps on FF 48 might be the warehouse find issues, but noticed a few pedigrees as well as my raw copy which came from the original owner also "got a bad wrap".

2 hours ago, fantastic_four said:

Those issues are incomparable in terms of supply.  Can you think of a key comparable to FF 48 in terms of supply?  In the Silver Age, the closest comparisons are the late Silver keys, i.e. Cap 100, Hulk 102, etc.  But they pale in terms of significance and demand to FF 48, so they're not great comparative examples.

I'm not sure the age of the comic is relevant.   If the demand is there then that's all that matters.   

Although I do note (as others have) that the price of FF 48 would be even higher if it were comparably available as other SA keys.  I personally don't completely mind it as it gave me an opportunity to own a relatively high grade copy of a book I only dreamed about owning as a youngster, for a relatively decent price.

-J. 

On 4/18/2018 at 9:52 AM, fantastic_four said:

Does anyone know why the issue jumped in price last year?

The runnup this year has to be due to the Disney/Fox deal.

Prices started getting stronger last year, IMO, because of the surrounding books (45 & 52 specifically) jumping so much.  Astute buyers (and sellers) figured that 48 should be closer in value to those books.  And, let’s be honest, it should be higher than 45 (the Inhumans, really?). Even 52, if the movie hadn’t been such a phenomenon.

Agree with everything you’ve said with regards to supply and the “glut” of available copies when compared to other surrounding issues.  

On 4/4/2018 at 5:22 PM, shane1956 said:

It just arrived! Move over Hulk 181 I think it's my new favorite book! Based on the SN # I think it was once owned by a fellow board member called "surfer collector". That's cool as well. Happy to bring this one to Canada. 

uHqFosl.jpg

Yep, that was my book. I originally bought the book off Comic Link and it was the centerpiece of my collection. Regretfully, I sold it to pay for an original painting for $2,000 on eBay before the merger and hype began :-( 

I did eventually buy another Fantastic Four 48 but it is a CGC 7.0 as I cannot afford to buy the same grade again.

4 hours ago, Cushing Fan said:

Yep, that was my book. I originally bought the book off Comic Link and it was the centerpiece of my collection. Regretfully, I sold it to pay for an original painting for $2,000 on eBay before the merger and hype began :-( 

I did eventually buy another Fantastic Four 48 but it is a CGC 7.0 as I cannot afford to buy the same grade again.

that was a nice sales thread of the 3 CGC graded Fantastic Fours you had recently at a very fair price (thumbsu

9 hours ago, Cushing Fan said:

Eh...don't beat yourself up over it though.  Sometimes you win, sometimes you lose.  I sold an HOS 92 in Sept last year, right before the big jump.  At the time, it was good for me and the buyer.  Could've been better for me if I had waited a few more months.  Hold onto anything long enough and it will heat up   

At least you were able to replace it with a nice copy (yeah, it;s not a 9.2, but a 7,0 is still a nice book).