• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Post your John Stanley Comics

25 posts in this topic

I did a search but didn't find a thread devoted to the genius of John Stanley. We are all familiar with his Little Lulu work but the other work he did for Dell is a bit off the radar but certainly fun. Here's a couple of examples from Animal Comics I had handy and I hope others can mine their collections for his hidden gold. Lulu welcome as well but I think she has her own thread.

tn_Anim25Jigger.jpg.48b371256a0272a51e39f2b0600c127a.jpg

tn_AnimalComics16back.jpg.33a7757ff1be4eb62162a94ddc5a4881.jpg

Edited by 40YrsCollctngCmcs

On 4/6/2021 at 1:29 PM, sfcityduck said:

Is it just me, or are Little Lulu comics sort of hot right now?

The high-grade copies seem to be selling for high prices. I can't help but think that a small number of devotees must be bidding against one another. I can't imagine that very many collectors would be interested in that title.

Edited by jimbo_7071

On 4/6/2021 at 12:29 PM, Hap Hazard said:

I believe the stories in this first issue written by Stanley.

Ghost Stories1.jpg

That book looks familiar. I think I may have had an Australian reprint about 1,000 years ago. Does the first story involve a giant arm in the sewers of a deserted neighbourhood? Scared the proverbial out of me as a kid!

Yes, Classic story written by John Stanley

On 10/14/2021 at 4:24 AM, AJD said:

That book looks familiar. I think I may have had an Australian reprint about 1,000 years ago. Does the first story involve a giant arm in the sewers of a deserted neighbourhood? Scared the proverbial out of me as a kid!

On 10/14/2021 at 10:51 AM, Hap Hazard said:

Yes, Classic story written by John Stanley

Stanley only did the first issue. he was told it was too scary and so he stopped after just the one issue. 

On 10/14/2021 at 1:43 PM, BitterOldMan said:

Bought this biography of John Stanley directly from the late author Bill Schelly at OAFCON.  I have really enjoyed buying from forum members, but nothing beats mingling in person.

DF898776-1C99-40EB-B0AB-25B14FE9453A.thumb.jpeg.a1dee6e09810f558a881f2d0f14280c4.jpeg

That one is on my still to read list. Bill wrote quite a few interesting biographies on comic luminaries; very sad he passed away.

On 10/14/2021 at 12:52 AM, jimbo_7071 said:

The high-grade copies seem to be selling for high prices. I can't help but think that a small number of devotees must be bidding against one another. I can't imagine that very many collectors would be interested in that title.

Yes that would be my take as well. The Lulu collectors are a passionate lot so I could see that. When the kids were small they loved the Black Horse reprints and we would go to Comic Con and I would bring them to the Little Lulu fan club annual meeting where they would do a out loud reading of a Lulu classic. Fun stuff! And I'm not complaining you can pick us such great comics in the 7.0-8.0 range for a song compared to other books.