• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Big key collecting question...Would you rather
2 2

37 posts in this topic

Got a debate going w my brother and was curious what other collectors think.  We were talking about how FF1 is heating up so much lately and got on this 'would you rather' scenario.  

As a collector (not a flipper!) would you rather own a mid grade Fantastic Four 1... or all of these three in mid grade: TTA27/TOS39/Avengers 1?

3 hours ago, UncleAnwar said:

Got a debate going w my brother and was curious what other collectors think.  We were talking about how FF1 is heating up so much lately and got on this 'would you rather' scenario.  

As a collector (not a flipper!) would you rather own a mid grade Fantastic Four 1... or all of these three in mid grade: TTA27/TOS39/Avengers 1?

The other three books. FF1 is great but TTA27 and TOS39 are quite rare too. Don't care much for Avengers 1. Rather swap that for a big Xmen or ASM book

FF easy answer for me, but that's my single favorite title ever. I'm weird, tho; I'd rather keep a Strange Tales 110 in my collection than a Suspense 39 or XMen 1, because I enjoy reading those a lot more. 

If you remove the resale component, this is pretty subjective.

Also, I think some of the Avengers 1 reaction is due to the book being easily available for decades. Up till the mid 1990s, it felt like they were everywhere! Familiarity breeds contempt.

The other three. Unless you are a boomer that grew up with the FF as the key of the Marvel Age in the early through mid 60s, the FF will have sucked for the majority of your comic reading lifetime. :sorry:

Um. I'm clearly not paying attention to what my comics are worth anymore, but

1. FF1 is seriously worth more than all of these???

2. TTA27 is being discussed in the same playing field as AV1 and TOS39???

13 hours ago, UncleAnwar said:

there seems to be a nostalgic hold for ff1 among board members.  i get it, i really do, but as someone who didnt grow up reading or collecting the fantastic four i would much rather have the other 3 books.  

7 hours ago, solm4st3r said:

The Fantastic Four are barely relevant these days except for new movie speculation. I'll take TOS39 over the other two books.

ditto. also rather have hulk1, AF15 and JIM83 while i'm at it. also, TTA35 is a way better cover than TTA27, i have always been sad that it never got the love it deserves. i love antmans costume!

I’d take Fantastic Four #1 in that scenario just because impact it had for Lee & Kirby, and it’s impact building the Marvel universe further. It’s superheroes dealt with real world issues as real world people, team. It was 1961 before Spider-Man, Incredible Hulk, the Avengers etc. etc. it was that comic which paved the way.