Hulk 181 worth a press?
1 1

15 posts in this topic

102 posts

I have a 181 which is affected by two non-color breaking creases at the top left/middle of the cover (pics 1 and 2). I've spent some time educating myself re grading, but I'm not very experienced, so I can't say how much these defects drag it down. It's sitting at a 6.5 and presents very well, but I'm wondering if a press and re-slab would be worth it. I'd consider a full point increase "worth it".  Pics are below. I did the best that I could with my cell phone and crappy lighting. I do have the grader's notes, which are posted below as well. Thanks in advance.

Grader's notes:

  • Left Center Back Cover Small Tear with Crease
  • Right Bottom Front Cover Crease Breaks Color
  • Right Top Back Cover Lite Multiple Crease
  • Spine Stress Lines Breaks Color
  • Top Front Cover Large Lite Crease
 

5ac6c9ff58694_leftmostfold.thumb.jpg.fecf659b79f2e59def1e286bc7895233.jpg

 

5ac6ca112054f_middlefold.thumb.jpg.497bcaeea1353d85d9368be5a55bbfe7.jpg

 

20180405_194128.thumb.jpg.214c803a1e72883be57bcf12e4a15715.jpg

 

5ac6ca2cefa1f_bottomleftcover.thumb.jpg.183aa3f7e92712fd2b4f374952c3bfb5.jpg

 

5ac6ca3df27db_leftmiddlecover.thumb.jpg.91440f4939432ccf2e55bf8d32bce51d.jpg

 

5ac6ca5ed0da9_topleftcover.thumb.jpg.f630acbfc1e22291992e2dfa2209eeff.jpg

 

5ac6ca6961bf3_topleftcovercloseup.thumb.jpg.4a4527c31ad9bcd2caba120f4be185db.jpg

 

5ac6ca73d86f9_toprightfront.thumb.jpg.6f1a6384db6a4d61049b0b1df8738a60.jpg

 

5ac6ca8160bda_bottomrightcover.thumb.jpg.2ef82803b19edc0b80e93c16646303a2.jpg

 

5ac6ca91a0756_fullback.thumb.jpg.75df38afd52efada0f2cea7428d4c616.jpg

 

5ac6ca9d788eb_bottomleftback.thumb.jpg.51c097efe660dddfb924b0fba6796e65.jpg

 

5ac6cae1665ac_topleftback.thumb.jpg.b6fb98e93c1d0c17ce014518e28943dd.jpg

 

5ac6caa6d68ff_toprightback.thumb.jpg.7aa87c68a4560b316a2e693a2b48268a.jpg

 

5ac6cabe4c804_bottomrightback.thumb.jpg.ecd2d6cea543b45a0617975021f5cc65.jpg

 

 

 

 

Edited by SilverSniper

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5,526 posts

Based on the corner crease and spine creases visible in your photos, as well as CGC's note of a small tear, I don't think you'd get a big bump - if any at all - from pressing that book. 6.5 might be as good as it gets for that one.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7,838 posts

You won't see a big increase due to the damage.  It is a nicer copy than the one I own and will own based upon where the prices keep going. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4,292 posts

I say get it pressed. There's quite a few creases in there that could be removed. Also, reach out to Joey for an opinion. The dude is a master.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11,746 posts
35 minutes ago, Darkowl said:

I say get it pressed. There's quite a few creases in there that could be removed. Also, reach out to Joey for an opinion. The dude is a master.

Though some of the creases can get removed, the remaining problems will probably keep it at 6.5 . 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11,746 posts

That bottom right FC corner crease is pretty bad. Lots of deep spine creases and a tear. In the current grading environment this could go down to a 6.0 . Also, I would not want to chance losing that White Page designation, that means a lot. There is so much that can go wrong with all the handling involved with a CPR that the risk reward is not there on this book. Leave it alone. Nice book and eye appeal as is.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
102 posts

Thanks everyone, I'll just keep as-is for now. Even if I felt confident in a bump, the whole ship -> crack slab -> ship -> press -> ship -> grade -> ship process scares the hell out of me.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
22,221 posts
35 minutes ago, SilverSniper said:

Thanks everyone, I'll just keep as-is for now. Even if I felt confident in a bump, the whole ship -> crack slab -> ship -> press -> ship -> grade -> ship process scares the hell out of me.

The price difference between a 6.5 and 7.0 does not warrant taking the chance. You would need to get at least a 7.5 out of this book to make it financially feasible. I don’t see it getting that much of a bump. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
102 posts
35 minutes ago, joeypost said:

The price difference between a 6.5 and 7.0 does not warrant taking the chance. You would need to get at least a 7.5 out of this book to make it financially feasible. I don’t see it getting that much of a bump. 

Right, which is exactly what I was targeting. Consensus here seems to think that's unlikely, and I was only going to do it if a bunch of people (with more experience than me) thought it was close to a sure thing.

Quote

I'd consider a full point increase "worth it"

Edited by SilverSniper

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1,122 posts
On 4/6/2018 at 11:09 AM, Bomber-Bob said:

Though some of the creases can get removed, the remaining problems will probably keep it at 6.5 . 

Hey Bomber just curious have you ever done professional grading?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11,746 posts
34 minutes ago, MGsimba77 said:

Hey Bomber just curious have you ever done professional grading?

Actually, I did, if you count screening for 9.8's to be submitted. Part of the task was to ascertain what flaws could be pressed. You learn what CGC is forgiving on and what they dislike. If it wasn't CGC 9.8 worthy, I then had to screen for 9.6's and 9.4's. It was fun and the time passed rather quickly but it was a long ride to work so I don't do it anymore. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1,122 posts
4 minutes ago, Bomber-Bob said:

Actually, I did, if you count screening for 9.8's to be submitted. Part of the task was to ascertain what flaws could be pressed. You learn what CGC is forgiving on and what they dislike. If it wasn't CGC 9.8 worthy, I then had to screen for 9.6's and 9.4's. It was fun and the time passed rather quickly but it was a long ride to work so I don't do it anymore. 

That sounds like fun. Did the screeners usually agree? Im going to start a topic regarding that very issue (but more of a cleaning Q) for a book I'm going to have pressed.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11,746 posts
5 minutes ago, MGsimba77 said:

That sounds like fun. Did the screeners usually agree? Im going to start a topic regarding that very issue (but more of a cleaning Q) for a book I'm going to have pressed.

Only one screener would look at the same set of books. As long as you didn't miss something, there really wasn't much to disagree about anyway. If it was a tweener, I would generally put it in the 9.6 pile unless it was an expensive book, worth the shot. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4,292 posts
On 4/6/2018 at 1:07 PM, joeypost said:

The price difference between a 6.5 and 7.0 does not warrant taking the chance. You would need to get at least a 7.5 out of this book to make it financially feasible. I don’t see it getting that much of a bump. 

Definitely listen to this guy! He knows his stuff!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
1 1