• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

SILICON Valley Comic-Con Stan Lee Last Signing?
2 2

22 posts in this topic

If I had to guess, I'd say this would be Stan Lee's last public organized mass signing.  I wouldn't be surprised if he cancelled at the last minute as well.

He's 95 yrs old.

The organizers charge $125 or so for a photo op or autograph, of that I speculate Stan pockets $50 as his share.

He used to be a charismatic showman, engaging with fans.  He's now relegated to having his head down, items placed in front of him and signing, never making eye contact.

This is NOT the life for him nor something he would want to be remembered for and as.  It's tarnishing his legacy as a personality.

He probably doesn't need the money, since he's got less than 5-10 years to live and Ii'd imagine has the financial security to pay for health care and the cost of living.  So, the question now would be "Why?" as the motivation to do mass signings.

So, with all that being said, I think it's in his best interests to shut down mass signings.  He'll probably still sign in public or via the mail, just not as a business, unless it's a private signing he'll host as a quick business favor or decision. So, gone might be the CGC Signature Series opportunities.  There's plenty of signed material out there in the secondary market, 'tho it is a finite number and the demand is high, but it's still relatively affordable and readily accessible for fans to buy at any time right now.

pretty good show and beat my expectations.  Disappointed though that CGC listed this Con as a drop-off location on their site and completed the submission and brought the books only to find out they weren't there - no reason, nothing.  Just not there.  Talked to the guys at Heritage and were also wondering why they weren't there.  Voldemort had a huge table so maybe the CGC guys are still at the airport bound and gagged in the bathroom stall.  Overall pretty good sampling of 2.0-4.0 golden age books at decent prices.  Terry's Comic had a lot of Ginger books and I bought almost all he had on tap. 

ginger lot.jpg

Edited by atomised