• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

A Quiet Place
2 2

34 posts in this topic

Saw it yesterday and it is a redbox rental.  A decent movie but there is really no reason to see it on the big screen and most people will get bored very quickly.  Fairly well acted but not really very suspenseful and the movie being 90% silent will be a killer for some.

On 4/9/2018 at 5:23 AM, 1Cool said:

Saw it yesterday and it is a redbox rental.  A decent movie but there is really no reason to see it on the big screen and most people will get bored very quickly.  Fairly well acted but not really very suspenseful and the movie being 90% silent will be a killer for some.

Wow. Respect your opinion, but for me personally, this was the most suspensful, nail biting films, I've seen in years.  Always amazes me how two people can see the same film and have completely opposite perspectives.

On 4/9/2018 at 5:50 AM, PunisherPunisherPunisher said:

Enjoyed it for a movie that had about 10 words spoken the entire time

I was concerned about that, so decided to see a double feature of Blockers and A Quiet Place.  Enjoyed them both quite a bit.  And ate a ton of popcorn.

I had seen the movie with friends.  Overall, it was not bad. I do agree with some of you about story plot gaps or holes. I can see that from the beginning to end. The special effects was ok. But some of you commented about “stupid” characters in there. Sorry to see that but you had no idea how huge the movie is with the young actress - Millicent Simmonds. She is Deaf by herself in real life, same as me. It is quite rare that I see someone do acting in a movie. The other actors, however was a bit static with their signs. I understood they are actors and likely had short lessons to learn enough to do in filming. 

Not easy to master the language, it can take up to 3-4 years. 

On 4/9/2018 at 7:23 AM, 1Cool said:

Unless you have a tremendous sound system at home the film as a must watch in the theater, preferably with nobody else there.

Just saw this today. GREAT movie, and an OUTSTANDING performance by Millicent Simmonds. Just outstanding.

The opening scenes...wow. 

Excellent, excellent film, fantastic cinematography, pacing was absolutely perfect, and Krasinski has a fantastic eye for detail. There were a lot of really excellent filmmaking touches throughout that had me very impressed. Everybody was great in it. 

Outstanding film. No wonder it grossed 300 bazillion dollars. 

Everyone I knew told me to not waste my time watching this so I watched it tonight. I thought it was really good and think it was underrated if anything. The only thing I didn't understand is

Spoiler

How the hell you think it's a good idea to bring a baby into that kinda world. They are sorta noisy you know.

A masterfully crafted piece!

Four out of four stars.

Millicent Simmonds was excellent; Emily Blunt was pretty solid, in her warm up to Mary Poppins.

The cinematography reminded me a lot of how John Carpenter used the aspect ratio of the frame to let the picture do the talking (if the characters weren’t.)

Not sure why so many folks on here disliked it or thought it was average?

But, I have to be honest; we don’t need a sequel (despite the set-up.)  I don’t care how much money it grossed, stop while they are ahead (Halloween, A Nightmare on Elm Street, The Exorcist, The Matrix, Jaws, Predator, etc.)

Now, time to watch “Blockers.”

Do we have a thread for that one?