• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Stolen money - Stolen Blood - what next for Stan Lee?
1 1

68 posts in this topic

27 minutes ago, Tony S said:

What sicko would think of mixing blood into ink and making a comic book ... 

4 minutes ago, Tony S said:

Wasn't the Marvel's first Kiss Magazine supposed to have some blood in the ink of each band member? Or was that just an urban legend? 

It was supposed to be Kiss member's blood mixed with the ink. That's where they got the idea for this, but consider that artists have been doing that for centuries and that practice probably stretches back millennia, mixing in their body fluids or animal fluids into their paint. The Mayans used to paint walls, sand, themselves, almost everything with blood, this blood mixed with ink is nothing new.

Edited by James J Johnson

1 hour ago, Tony S said:

What's next? Maybe someone will abscond with Stan the Man himself! Grab him and put him in an empty, rusted out, toppled water tower tank with holes riddled in it like swiss cheese, just like Logan kept the Professor in the movie. It's the perfect hiding place for nonagenarians. That's what I'm going to hide in if I live to be 90, God forbid.

I have some 1980s Hanna Barbara cells that were signed with an ink that includes their blood. The theory was the ink could be checked for their DNA. I've no idea if this is practical

with today's technology.

Mark Gruenwald had his ashes mixed with the ink for a special edition of Squadron Supreme.

1 minute ago, shadroch said:

I have some 1980s Hanna Barbara cells that were signed with an ink that includes their blood. The theory was the ink could be checked for their DNA. I've no idea if this is practical

with today's technology.

Mark Gruenwald had his ashes mixed with the ink for a special edition of Squadron Supreme.

A little known fact is that they used Joe Maneely's ashes to produce the cover's gray sky for Amazing Fantasy 15. Kirby and Ditko sure did enjoy a good joke, as do I. :news:

48 minutes ago, James J Johnson said:

A little known fact is that they used Joe Maneely's ashes to produce the cover's gray sky for Amazing Fantasy 15. Kirby and Ditko sure did enjoy a good joke, as do I. :news:

Not sure where the joke is supposed to be.

From wiki....

In 1996, Gruenwald succumbed to a heart attack, the result of an unsuspected congenital heart defect. Gruenwald was a well-known practical joker, and due to his young age, many of his friends and co-workers initially believed the reports of his death to be just another joke. Just days prior, he had done one of his trademark cartwheels down the halls of the Bullpen. A longtime lover of comics, Gruenwald made it known amongst his friends and families that his one desire was to have his ashes used in part of a comic. In accordance with his request, he was cremated, and his ashes were mixed with the ink used to print the first printing of the trade paperback compilation of Squadron Supreme.[22]

https://www.newscientist.com/article/mg14619713-300-no-funny-business-when-cartoons-are-signed-with-dna/

Edited by shadroch

3 hours ago, James J Johnson said:

Baroque and early Classical musical instrument makers used to mix blood into the varnish. There's a movie with Samuel Jackson about a violin that brought that practice to light.

Is that the one where he says, "I've had it with these MFin violins in this MFin orchestra".

59 minutes ago, Ride the Tiger said:

Is that the one where he says, "I've had it with these MFin violins in this MFin orchestra".

The Red Violin (1998) Google: The intricate history of an antique violin (1681) painted with the maker's dead wife's blood, to keep her memory alive. Samuel Jackson is an auction house's expert and he becomes obsessed with it. Great movie.

8 minutes ago, James J Johnson said:

The low-budget special effects from the 60s were really something. What do we have here? Rubber ears, rubber horns, and a rubber nose = instant Devil, just add glue.

:devil: