• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Stolen money - Stolen Blood - what next for Stan Lee?
1 1

68 posts in this topic

15 minutes ago, Robbussum said:

What do you guys honestly think about the value of the comic in question? Rise of the Black Panther #1 DNA INK SOLVENT and the Mighty Thor 700. Do you think the few that were sold with the DNA stamp will be notorious in the comic book community or will it be a waste of time. I'm asking because of the attention it is getting, the lawsuits about to occur, and the scarcity of the comic. Regardless of the way the blood was obtained and the weirdness of the entire situation, will these things be sought after once Stan Lee passes on one day? A lot of people are bad mouthing the comic but if one popped up in front of you right now with only one verified transaction on the net and no others up for sale how many would buy it on the spot. I would. As a collector we all try to attain something in our collection that no one else has or can buy. Could these two comics potentially be a holy grail one day if only a couple were sold maybe 10 or less. Remember the Marvel Station store in Vegas took them of the shelf and not a lot were sold. Hands of Respect are now facing a lawsuit and would be foolish to even attempt to sell any more. Due to the severe lack of quantity on the net and media attention behind these books I feel their will always be a collector clamoring for these books to collect. What is everyones thoughts/opinions even if you would buy one or not.

If I came across one and the price was right, I'd buy it and destroy it as soon as practicable.  The circumstances surrounding these books are far too shady, and they should not continue existing.

7 hours ago, mattn792 said:

If I came across one and the price was right, I'd buy it and destroy it as soon as practicable.  The circumstances surrounding these books are far too shady, and they should not continue existing.

One just popped up starting bid $900 on ebay. Here is your chance to buy and burn one. Lol.?

Edited by Robbussum

On 4/14/2018 at 12:12 PM, Mercury Man said:

Nope.  Given the circumstances, it's just plain creepy.  It's not like the KISS comic from the 70's where the band consented (and probably got paid a bunch of cash for putting their blood samples in the red ink).  This sounds like it was stolen from Stan under the guise of a medical sample.  Report was he got very week from them taking too much.    This is just bad mojo.....bad mojo jojo....I don't need that tainting my awesome collection. 

I agree, knowing that Stan Lee was exploited illegally and doesn't endorse this release, it's appeal is sensationalistic an in some sense similar to the macabre interest in John Wayne Gacy artwork or Nazi Memorabilia like human skin lampshades.  There's a certain type of person who doesn't mind owning such artifacts if not actually seeking them out.  That's fine, to each their own, but as a comic collector, knowing the very medium of the comic book and it's characters, all gained popularity due in part to Stan Lee's involvement in the industry, it's somewhat insulting.  My guess is the majority of interest in the book now is in the investment potential to resell and not to keep and archive, so more of a business interest than one of fandom.

17 hours ago, BeholdersEye said:

I agree, knowing that Stan Lee was exploited illegally and doesn't endorse this release, it's appeal is sensationalistic an in some sense similar to the macabre interest in John Wayne Gacy artwork or Nazi Memorabilia like human skin lampshades.  There's a certain type of person who doesn't mind owning such artifacts if not actually seeking them out.  That's fine, to each their own, but as a comic collector, knowing the very medium of the comic book and it's characters, all gained popularity due in part to Stan Lee's involvement in the industry, it's somewhat insulting.  My guess is the majority of interest in the book now is in the investment potential to resell and not to keep and archive, so more of a business interest than one of fandom.

One of those books just sold for over $3k on ebay. Crazy. https://www.ebay.com/itm/Rise-of-the-Black-Panther-1-with-Stan-Lee-DNA-Solvent-Ink-/253562037948?_trksid=p2047675.l2557&ssPageName=STRK%3AMESINDXX%3AIT&nma=true&si=yr0dM81pHtT0%2Fw9M1vDMrGCC484%3D&orig_cvip=true&rt=nc

It'll be interesting to see how many more pop up online to get a sense of how many were bought. Maybe the lawsuit that Stan has filed will expose that number. 

Second one sold for 3 grand today on ebay. This seller had one transaction on ebay with zero percent feedback. If he had decent feedback no doubt it would have sold for $5,000 plus. I am almost sure there probably less than 10 sold on the market or the internet would be flooded with them already. Even when a variant is released and 100 are available you will see 15 to 20 online at the same time. It is probably the most controversial comic ever and its already demanding thousands.

Kind of sad.  I mean this is one of the greatest ambassadors of the medium.   His role in comics are immense (some controversial with the Kirby and Ditko stuff), but he is about as important to the contributions to pop culture as Walt Disney, Elvis, Marilyn Monroe, & Lucille Ball.   I bet he never thought this would be happening to him. 

A third one has popped up on ebay for $4,000 buy it now with a starting price of $900. It is a 5 day auction. Lets see what it does. Some people are calling it trash but its hotter than Bitcoin. I guarantee it will not last 5 days and it will sell for $4,000. I would have set the buy it now at $5,000 though.

1 hour ago, Robbussum said:

A third one has popped up on ebay for $4,000 buy it now with a starting price of $900. It is a 5 day auction. Lets see what it does. Some people are calling it trash but its hotter than Bitcoin. I guarantee it will not last 5 days and it will sell for $4,000. I would have set the buy it now at $5,000 though.

Hotter than Bitcoin...which has lost half its value since December.  Skim milk is hotter than Bitcoin.

But you sound like an expert.  Why not buy a couple of these rare commodities and stash them for ten years?  Surely you can put two more zeroes on your investment in that time.

As a total noob in the comic book collecting world, can someone please explain the salty attitude some of you have around this? I understand how it was acquired, and the recent things Mr. Lee has gone through, however from the viewpoint of a collector isn’t the point to obtain something rare/hard to find/limited with history or a story attached to it?

1 hour ago, toaf said:

from the viewpoint of a collector isn’t the point to obtain something rare/hard to find/limited with history or a story attached to it?

The Nazi's stole rare art from other people/other countries.  Would you want anything from their stash?   I am not comparing the ghouls who took Stan's blood to what the Nazi's did, but yeah, I kind of am.   As Adamantium said....'standards'.  

On 4/19/2018 at 7:18 PM, october said:

I've seen some stupid, unfortunate stuff in my time as a comic collector, but this nonsense makes it to the top of the list. Good lord. 

Though drawing blood from The Man is ghoulish the Heidi Saha Warren will always remain at the top of the "Not in my collection" list.